Origin of Names

Nice thread; lots of good info. Allow me to add my two cents worth...

The Polish Falcons were likely sponsored by a Polish League of American Veterans Post. Similar to our Am. Leg. Many Polish men fought for the Allies in both WWI & WWII. Those who survived the wars were promised American citizenship. They went on to become productive citizens, and followed suit with the interest in the drum corps activity. The Syracuse Brigadiers Sr. Corps also have their roots in the PLAV. The Brigs original colors are red & white....the colors of the Polish flag.

And coming back full-circle...the original Polish flag had a falcon on it's center, hence....Polish Falcons!

Here's a thought...Which came first, the uniform or the corps name? Especially corps like the Troopers, Kilties, Muchachos, and 27th Lancers..... :blink:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Govenaires was adopted as the corps' name in 1961. It was originally the St Peter Legion Drum and Bugle Corps, then the St Peter Drum and Bugle Corps when the corps started dominating the VFW circuit in Minnesota. Then the corps almost became the Vikings Drum and Bugle Corps, but the new NFL franchise took the name and thus the corps became the Govenaires (as Matt said, it's a tribute to the five governors from St Peter). I have no idea why there is no "r" after the first "e" in the corps name. Maybe some alums (Stuba? Pat?) can grace us with that story.

I concur, PeeWee - I heard the same tale

I also heard, however, that Sparks/SCV red & green (even the specific shades) were chosen to honor the proud Portugese heritage of the south bay and central coast (they match the Portugese flag).

This connection was explained to me by a vet as we practiced on the beach @ half moon bay after the Pescadero Holy Ghost Parade. A memorable moment. I think maybe GR was Portagee?

Viva Rinaldo!

Empire Statesmen. Vince Bruni started a Jr corps in the late 50s/early 60s that spawned a load of talent that ended up in Crusaders, St Joes and many others. I always heard he had a fondness for the JR Statesmen(of which I was a member) and carried it over to Empire when he left Cru and started the Empire Statesmen.

How about the Warren Cornplanters(yup,,it was a corps from PA). Wernt they named after an indian tribe?

Ballentine Brewers..self explanatory;-)

I concur, PeeWee - I heard the same tale

I also heard, however, that Sparks/SCV red & green (even the specific shades) were chosen to honor the proud Portugese heritage of the south bay and central coast (they match the Portugese flag).

This connection was explained to me by a vet as we practiced on the beach @ half moon bay after the Pescadero Holy Ghost Parade. A memorable moment. I think maybe GR was Portagee?

Viva Rinaldo!

not exactly...

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums//ind...p;#entry1482226

Edited by PhillyDCIMontreal

Seneca Optimists- sponsored by Seneca College & the Optimist Club of Toronto

St. John's Girls - sponsored at the time by St. John's College. Oddly St. John's became

an all boy's school in the early sixties when they built a separate school for the girls,

but the all-girl corps kept the name...

Uh.....

thanks philly

I'll have to thank my vet "friend" for passing that apocrypha on to me

(Why I otta...)

I was a SoCal transplant (one of a few at that time) and got some ribbing early on, I guess he was having one over on me.