DCA WEST

Obviously the ideal time would be the weekend prior to DCI championships next year. I know there is usually a DCI show somewhere that weekend, but if it works out right, we could throw out invites to many Div 1 corps. That would get the extra draw to fill the seats.

Hmm....DCA judges on DCI sheets? lol

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here by invitation... thank you Cozy... :)

Judging: all good judges with a solid half hour of clinic with someone who has the correct information can use DCA sheets properly. They are "classic" drum corps sheets. The clinic involves discussion on the meaning of "entertainment" and an education on numbers management. I've done it (instructed judges on the use of the system) MANY times.

Further there seems to be this thought that DCA and DCI judges are completely separate... This is NOT the case... if you look at the people judging DCA Eastern shows, you will find many of the top DCI judges... and vice versa... consequently, the notion that to have a DCA sanctioned show on the west coast would require flying an entire panel in is simply wrong. It would however, take planning and hard work on the part of the caption chiefs to make it happen .. but guys, they do this all the time... look at the panels for the GA/SC shows or FL??? Great mixes of people now living in those areas and people flying in. A couple of key people to give pre-show clinics and you're off and running...

When we first judged shows in the South, we asked for volunteers who would do it for an abbreviated fee. (I was one) I'm certain that if asked, many Eastern judges would be glad to fly west for the experience as long as it doesn't cost them anything. Then you do what was done down south and get the hotel rooms donated... and voila... the judge's bill isn't much larger than normal.

Circuit: DCA West? Personally, I think it's a forgone conclusion. The only question is "when". Chris Nalls is the key to that as MBI's people were the key to DCA Midwest and the success of CorpsVets, Gold and Heat Wave drove DCA South. Please remember that DCA has maintained stability by moving cautiously and only making the BIG move when the time seemed appropriate. When all the West Coast Corps are in agreement that the time is NOW... I believe they will have the ability to make it happen. 2 more corps would certainly HELP...

Seattle: Alliance remains a "rare occasion" parade corps. I believe the recent first performance of Brass Attack at the Seattle DCI show, is showing that there is indeed interest in more serious all aged corps in the Puget Sound. But... as I now know so well... Seattle is a long way from just about everywhere... I believe the idea of starting with a mini corps and making DCA 2007 mini corps competition their goal is far more realistic than trying to form a competitive corps at this time... Even if they can overcome the financial end of doing 5 or 6 weekends minimum, the time demands on the performers would be a killer... I drove to San Francisco... and to go down there 3 or 4 times at 14 hours each way would be VERY hard - especially when considering work and family. Do I think it will happen? YES! but it is still several years away... Lets get Brass Attack to Rochester in 2007!! Then, we can see what the next step should be. One thing is clear, there is plenty of quality talent here.

attenjdance at DCA is a requirement no? I remember reading it was for the Central.

and as the West grows, i expect to see it happen. patience and smart planning is the key. Remember, 10 years ago, there was DCA corps in the west. 9 years ago the one corps there was this name we read about on RAMD. the year after that Lee got kicked off of AOL :P

the growth out there in the last few years is nothing short of amazing. a little bit of patience will make it all worthwhile

exactly Jeff... patience is word one...

there is nothing written that describes the necessary qualities to gain a positive vote creating DCA West... It is an overall evaluation process..

DCA has seen Renegades (YIKES! smiling profusely) and Dream... yes, attendance at prelims by a third corps would help, but a TOTAL evaluation of what is happening in that region and their plans for the future would be a larger factor than how many can afford to come east for DCA Championships.

As for the attendance at DCA Championship being a part of the equation for DCA Central, as I remember it, that was written into the proposal by the Central corps - Not by the voting members of DCA. It was something they chose to do themselves.

Tom, not Thom, Thanks for all the great insight on this. Patience and careful planning for expansion is the key to success.

Thom, not Tom, I know this thread kind of got turned into creating a DCA West circut rather than your original of just a DCA sanctioned event. So...Tom, to kind of follow the original question.....would it be possible to have a DCA sanctioned event "out west" even if there is no DCA West circut?

If so, perhaps special invitations to the corps closest to us in So Cal, but not limiting entry to them, and giving them enough lead time to plan it into their budget, we could make this a big success.

If so, perhaps special invitations to the corps closest to us in So Cal, but not limiting entry to them, and giving them enough lead time to plan it into their budget, we could make this a big success.

Out here in Chops-land we've done two extended weekend trips over the last couple of years. 2004 was DeKalb/Milwaukee, 2005 was Kalamazoo/Scranton, and this year is Indy/Rochester. I'm not privy to our obligations to DCI (I think that our attendance at Kalamazoo and Indy is due to our home show being a DCI show), but if nothing like that exists then maybe next year the two trips could be SoCal/Rochester. No guarantees, since I have little say as far as what the Chops BOD decides (hey, I just march here...), but I'd think it's worth looking into.

Tom, not Thom, Thanks for all the great insight on this. Patience and careful planning for expansion is the key to success.

Thom, not Tom, I know this thread kind of got turned into creating a DCA West circut rather than your original of just a DCA sanctioned event. So...Tom, to kind of follow the original question.....would it be possible to have a DCA sanctioned event "out west" even if there is no DCA West circut?

Bob, not Bob...thanks!!!

Here by invitation... thank you Cozy... :)

Judging: all good judges with a solid half hour of clinic with someone who has the correct information can use DCA sheets properly. They are "classic" drum corps sheets. The clinic involves discussion on the meaning of "entertainment" and an education on numbers management. I've done it (instructed judges on the use of the system) MANY times.

Further there seems to be this thought that DCA and DCI judges are completely separate... This is NOT the case... if you look at the people judging DCA Eastern shows, you will find many of the top DCI judges... and vice versa... consequently, the notion that to have a DCA sanctioned show on the west coast would require flying an entire panel in is simply wrong. It would however, take planning and hard work on the part of the caption chiefs to make it happen .. but guys, they do this all the time... look at the panels for the GA/SC shows or FL??? Great mixes of people now living in those areas and people flying in. A couple of key people to give pre-show clinics and you're off and running...

When we first judged shows in the South, we asked for volunteers who would do it for an abbreviated fee. (I was one) I'm certain that if asked, many Eastern judges would be glad to fly west for the experience as long as it doesn't cost them anything. Then you do what was done down south and get the hotel rooms donated... and voila... the judge's bill isn't much larger than normal.

Circuit: DCA West? Personally, I think it's a forgone conclusion. The only question is "when". Chris Nalls is the key to that as MBI's people were the key to DCA Midwest and the success of CorpsVets, Gold and Heat Wave drove DCA South. Please remember that DCA has maintained stability by moving cautiously and only making the BIG move when the time seemed appropriate. When all the West Coast Corps are in agreement that the time is NOW... I believe they will have the ability to make it happen. 2 more corps would certainly HELP...

Seattle: Alliance remains a "rare occasion" parade corps. I believe the recent first performance of Brass Attack at the Seattle DCI show, is showing that there is indeed interest in more serious all aged corps in the Puget Sound. But... as I now know so well... Seattle is a long way from just about everywhere... I believe the idea of starting with a mini corps and making DCA 2007 mini corps competition their goal is far more realistic than trying to form a competitive corps at this time... Even if they can overcome the financial end of doing 5 or 6 weekends minimum, the time demands on the performers would be a killer... I drove to San Francisco... and to go down there 3 or 4 times at 14 hours each way would be VERY hard - especially when considering work and family. Do I think it will happen? YES! but it is still several years away... Lets get Brass Attack to Rochester in 2007!! Then, we can see what the next step should be. One thing is clear, there is plenty of quality talent here.

Three corps does not a circuit make.