DCA considering amps

D'OH!!!..... which stand for D'OH!!! :P :laugh:

Still picturing Gary in his T-Bird uni carrying out a waiters tray full of.. well.. full bottles ^0^

Yeah, well he better not forget my Chili dogs with cheese or he's not getting a tip!!! (Hold the onions on those please...)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Don't we all have bigger fish to fry this summer than this?

Ironically though.... I know I've mentioned this before, but in my opinion, some of the best uses of amps/electronics have come from DCA corps.... Empire Statesmen's guitar in 1985, Empire Statesmen's "Main Event" voiceover during the corps' warmup in 2001, and the Bushwackers' "great speeches about the U.S. space program" audio over the corps' warmup in 2003.

Fran

[/q

Fran, I agree with you. But many people don'e even REALIZE that there are/were many beautiful DCI musical moments that were amplified. I.e., the Cavaliers' James Bond show where the pit members snapped their fingers on 2 & 4. And the Phantom Regiment spanish show that begin with a solo castenet player in the pit; then, in their percussion feature they again used several sets of castenets. The finger snapping and castenets were absolutely INTEGRAL to the success of these musical pieces. Guess what? THEY WERE AMPLIFIED!! Did most people know it? Probably not, at least consciously.

My point is, if used tastefully, amps can greatly enhance a corps production, without taking away from the historical integrity, of which we are ALL accustomed. Oh well, my $.02 cents. :)

Jim

"I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure."

Yeah, well he better not forget my Chili dogs with cheese or he's not getting a tip!!! (Hold the onions on those please...)

Sara dear, FAR too many replies from you. Do you have too much time on your hands? Need a "honey"? :)

Jim

"They told me I was gullible .... and I believed them."

Sara dear, FAR too many replies from you. Do you have too much time on your hands? Need a "honey"? :)

Jim

"They told me I was gullible .... and I believed them."

Jim sweetheart, I just need a job. And it looks like you need someone to teach you how to post properly and get your internet coding on your posts correct, so why don't you have your people call my people and I'll set you up with some skillz. For a very affordable price.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

I know this all started with a rumor where someone named Stef or “ScribeToo” has spoken as a person “in the know” and it has not been confirmed but pretty much denied by Mr. Peashey.

Hi Bob,

I'm Stef. The "someone named Stef" to whom you referred. Surprisingly, I'm actually a real live girl!! Can you imagine such a thing??

As far as speaking as "someone in the know" -- no, I never claimed that.. and won't. But I do have a few friends -- counting Tom Peashey among them (Hi Tom!!) -- and what I said came to me from people I trust who actually DO know.

I don't name names because it was information shared in casual conversation.. and the information surprised ME, it seemed important enough to share it.

Now.. as for Tom "not confirming" but "pretty much" denying what I said.. can you point me to where that is? Or maybe I'll get in touch with him myself..

Does Tom still work for DCA?

So hey.. have a great night.. and a great rest of the season. Best of luck to you guys in Rochester! And if you ever have a question about something I say, please feel free to approach me with questions.. I'm really a relatively nice girl and always open to intelligent discourse should it ever wend its way to my door!

Edited by ScribeToo

Jim sweetheart, I just need a job. And it looks like you need someone to teach you how to post properly and get your internet coding on your posts correct, so why don't you have your people call my people and I'll set you up with some skillz. For a very affordable price.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Since when were we talking about finding Nemo? :sshh:

sorry honey, I just had to. b**bs

Ahh! Bob, no need to pull the link.. I found Tom's post -- I presume this is the one to which you referred where he "pretty much denied" what I said.

So.. let me just clarify some things for ya.. :)

3. spreading rumors that anyone in DCA is worrying about rules changes the third week in July... Never happen... we'd be lucky if they even put the effort into the rules changes in October and November... which is probably good because... "If it ain't broken - don't fix it" should be the moto of DCA

No one said it was being worried about right now.. nor that it was being proposed.. what I said, for clarification purposes, was that it was being LOBBIED.. that means there are people out there who WANT to be able to use it.. and are working towards getting it voted in. So.. yeah.. I guess if it's percussion people who want it, it's likely they are "lobbying" to get it in.. don'tcha think??

I can tell you that there has for YEARS been a strong group within the percussion community who have advocated allowing those pit instruments designed to be amped or vibrated electrically to be used the way they are designed... period... to consider anything else would be financially foolish and DCA is not famous for doing risky things financially... For that reason, I doubt any electronic amplification issue would receive serious consideration at this time.

I also would state that should the percussion people get their way, it would HAVE to be done with batteries... putting the requirement on sponsors to provide electrical hook ups would be very bad - and cause many difficulties...

Oh look!! He basically said what I did.. which is that it's been being LOBBIED since DCI voted it in.. Can you imagine?

And here's the BIG kicker:

all my own personal opinions obviously

That's kind of what I figured Tom's response would be.. he's never been a guy who spoke out his derriere... and he's never pulled any punches.. that's what I love best about my Uncle Tom!! (And Tom, you never call when you're in town.. when will you be out in the midwest again!?)

So unless there's somewhere else where Tom might have "pretty much denied" what I said, I'm guessing you just misread what he did actually say.

But seriously.. have a great rest of the season!

Re Empire Statesmen: Look at their staff and membership. Many people recently with DCI, although I agree that their comittment to accessible, entertaining music is comendable and different than your typical D1 corps. BTW, we used amps in ES in 1985!

Empire has had many people over the years who had spent time in DCI. just because they have staff who work with DCI corps doesnt mean they are going that way. in fact, having seen many of their recent shows, I'd dare say they are far from going that way

There are no alumni corps rules at all. At least, I'm not aware of any.

there is one largely unspoken but universal rule.

entertain the #### out of the fans