on the carelessness of the development of drill design

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone once told me something about writing music. You have to write a lot of music for free before people will start paying for you to write music. I think that goes the same for drill writers.

"I think its possibly to postulate some general princibles simply by thinking about the properties of drill in the abstract." - Man, you're really trying hard to impress aren't you? Too hard.

Drill in the abstract? Like this?

I see BD; Scouts, maybe. What about you?

Edited by jblamb1401

I don't believe that judges, fans, or members, (simply by the virtue of being a fan, a member, or a judge) are qualified to evaluate the product or drill writers. I believe those who have studied drill to the extent that I have previously described are the only individuals qualified to evaluate drill.

What ?? Then who is ? Should Oxford University send a special team to a few shows to access the movement ?? LOL LOL...what a funny statement. I guess Im just dumb, care to explain ??

~G~

I was fortunate to march many years in a Corps that had some awesome drill writers:

Marc Sylvester

Vincent Monacelli

John Brazale

Greg Cesario

Paul P.

Steve Brubaker

Johny Sanchez

* I was a tech the years that Paul P., Steve Brubaker, and **Johny Sanchez wrote. **Different Corps.

None of these gentlemen toured full time with my corps but when they were around I would ask tons of questions.

Micheal Cesario was around quite a bit and I listened closely to what he had to say.

There may not be a degree in drill writing but the concept of "Mentoring" is paramount.

And when you start writing (on your own) don't be afraid to ask for help.

One relatinship that I think is often over looked is that of Judge-Designer.

Marie Czapinski and George Oliviero helped me tremendously. Judges not only evaluate, they offer constructive criticism to improve your show.

PJ

First of all, the person who referred to "mentoring" is spot on. I know a couple of the more well-known visual designers of recent years, and all of them "apprenticed" with one of the past greats--anything from teaching their drills and asking lots of questions to, literally, charting out the "master's" sketches.

But to answer the original question, there ARE many universities that offer courses in marching band drill design as part of the music education curriculum. I took such a course back in the day. Some current examples I came up with from a quick Google search:

University of Washington -- MUSED 405 Marching Band Technique

Basics of marching and maneuvering discussed and used to write drill. Covers selection of music, use of marching procession, and show design. Students complete a drill for their own band or for an instrumentation determined by the instructor. (Taught by Tim Salzman, long-time SCV staffer)

Penn State -- MUSIC 450

A marching band technique course for music education majors, band directors, and experienced marching band members. This course develops knowledge and skills required to organize and teach marching band with an emphasis on traditional and contemporary drill design and charting. Students are taught an eclectic understanding of drill systems, contemporary drill design, and visual design theory with opportunities to apply drill design computer software (Pyware Java 3D) in developing effective movements for marching units. Course topics include philosophy and role of marching band in the music program, historical perspectives, marching band styles, administration and organization of the marching band and auxiliary units and teaching techniques.

University of Alabama -- MUE 486 Marching Band Techniques

Fundamentals of marching, maneuvering, and preparation and presentation of formations. Offered fall semester and in summer term during odd-numbered years.

Now, I have no idea how many (if any) of today's top drill designers ever took such courses, and I cannot offer any opinion on the quality of any of these offerings. I am just pointing out that one CAN get some formal education in the field. The course I took offered some good, basic "do's" and dont's" then gave everyone the chance to play around and experiment a bit.

At the end of the day, the most you can hope to get out of this kind of "formal" education is the basics. One cannot learn how to be a great painter from art school; that requires innate natural talent and lots of trial-and-error. Same with marching band drill, choreography, etc.

IMHO

Edited by ChiBoyinLA