Do we really need all that stuff in the Pit

Hey I think there could be a use for woodwind instruments in drum corps....

Let the pit smash them. Get a bigger sound out of em that way ^0^

Edited by dciguy01

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was also supposed to fix the technique used so the instruments didn't get so beat up...but not a lot of corps seem to have adjusted their style for "plugged in" play.

Not only for the longevity of the instruments, but also for the natural sound of the bars. If you crank away on a key trying to play over a large hornline, the sound it produces is a lot different than the ideal, contert-type sound.

And, I'd agree... there's still not a lot of corps who have adjusted their technique accordingly. There are definetely a few, though, and when they do it right, it's sweet. :)

And as for the original question, I like having the proverbial kitchen sink in the pit. I think the front ensemble has the largest role in helping to communicate atmospheric and idiomatic intent of the music.

This is a good topic.

I think it would be interesting to somehow cross index 2 poll questions:

Are you "pro-amp"?

and

Are you "pro big pit"?

My thesis is that we would find that, contrary to popular belief, those who are "anti-amps" are mostly "pro- big pit" (ie not cavemen). Is it just me? It seems contradictory, but that's the way I would answer those 2 questions, so go figger. I LOVE the richness of the big pit, but I like the acoustic sound of a big pit. (I assume that the "pro-amp" crowd also likes the big pit - do we ALL love the big pit mostly?)

I'm no technocrat, so clue me in -

do the rules mandate marching drums? limit the size of the pit, drum line, or horn line? If not, these basic ratios seem like an area that is fertile ground for a creative designer to address. Giant horn line/no drums/big pit/small guard, or medium horn line/no drums/giant pit/big guard, or big horn line/giant drum line/no pit/no guard, or...

would this be bad?

I think the front ensemble adds so much to the music ensemble and GE of a show. I find with amps I'm able to hear the more quiet parts coming from the front of the field and when the brass cuts loose I find it to be more a balanced sound all around.

I'm a little on the fence on this one, cause I see pits that drag around a full set of chimes all summer in order to do ONE chime scrape, and that makes absolutely no sense to me. I do see the merit in having 4 marimbas and 4 vibes, but in one of the pits I was in, we got by fine with 3 of each and unplugged. Did it hurt our sound quality compared to the pits rolling out 2 more instruments? Not really. Could we be heard above the hornline and drumline throughout the entire show? Surprisingly, yes.

However, there IS some fun in having a ginormous pit. So many crazy effects that just adds the icing to a great show. And with moving all of that equipment, it gives the pit something to do while the rest of the corps is running around and working hard, right? ;-)

:blink:

^0^

No, Kelli. Wrong vibes.

However, there IS some fun in having a ginormous pit. So many crazy effects that just adds the icing to a great show. And with moving all of that equipment, it gives the pit something to do while the rest of the corps is running around and working hard, right? ;-)

While not having really anything to do with this topic, there is GREAT fun in that! As a high school pit instructor and writer, me and a few friends in the state the past 2 years or so have gotten into a battle of who's pit can have the most USEFUL stuff in the pit, per student. Last year my 6 kids were playing on about 5 different things each. Part of the pit fun. Never a dull moment when you're running from marimba to bass drum, back to your board, reaching up and hitting a cymbal and finishing some hits on a propane tank. :P

while fun, I think (depending on how many people are in the pit) that can get messy.

know what I mean?

Of course it's messy. Its fun to watch my kids try and figure out the #### they're gonna get across the pit box to something on the other side. :P I wouldn't want or expect it from corps though. Really, I'm off topic as usual.

More so on topic, I really have never seen ANYTHING in a pit that I felt was unneccesary. Just my view.