Cadets

I just watched their entire program on the seasons pass. How they heck are they not in 3rd? Their drumline is definatly top 3...their hornline is top 3...they march top 3. I just don't get it. Is DCI just not "getting" the show? I know the drum feature is weird because the hornline doesn't play and they carry around stuff, etc...but...they out execute Bluecoats and Phantom. Their show is still solid. I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong...I have REALLY dug the Bluecoats this year. Phantom is good too...however, something lacks with me in this show...I don't really know what it is though. I just don't see how Cadets aren't in 3rd.

Oh well...

Nate

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, they just have to many things going on at once. Even without seeing it, I have a hard time just listening to it. I think the vocals are just to much for the drum break. I enjoy my nice memorial brass recording with the only vocals being in the ballad.

I think you're mostly right. I think it has to do with the judges not digging it, thus GE goes down

Also, didn't they change a lot more before San Antonio last year. It just seems to me that they started changing a lot stuff all of sudden the past week or two leading up to San Antonio this year. They made their show more clear last year by the time SA came rolling around.

IMHO based on Season pass

Honestly, I was struck by how little their hornline played, and what they did play didn't seem to hold up to the other top corps, honestly. I have no doubt that this is a typical Cadets corps that is very talented, but this show kinda sucks.

Also, there is just WAY to much going on at the same time. Where are you suppossed to be looking at any given moment? There should be a visual melody of sorts that the audience can follow (esspecially if you claim to be telling a story), it comes across as visual white noise.

Their balad is well...(this sounds like a flame, but I don't mean it to be) just there, it seems totally uninspired - with a singer covering up what could be a great line, I couldn't say whether or not it really did anything at all (it just lacks life).

I really liked the openner, and can even handle the singing and what-not in the (though, the hornline doesn't seem to come in FOREVER). The thing that really got me about the drum break was that they aren't moving! They are arced up in the front right next to the pit and chilling out. Where is the top 3 caliber demand in that?

I'm not usually one to go out of my way to "bash" the Cadets or make Hoppy conspiracy threads, but this is how I feel about this issue.

Perhaps this is good for them. Their director has been trying to sell us this new image of what drum corps should be for a long time. Perhaps they need it to flop before he understands that while some change is good, most of the drum corps community does not dig his particular brand of progress. I hate to rip on the members, so I'm not. Like the OP said, I bet it is performed very very well. The Cadets have never really been lacking in the execution department. I do believe that their problems this year are almost entirely design based.

The season is not over and anything can happen, but I do hope that Mr. Hopkins will take this less than stellar placement as a grain of salt to his ambition for massive changes in drum corps. The Cadets are a great organization and will continue to be one. They have dominated the activity before with great drum corps shows. Real drum corps shows. It can be done. Fancy props, costumes, and actors are not the only way to move forward. Sometimes good music, good drill, and good guard work are all it takes to give the audience and judges what they want. And the Cadets themselves have proven that on more than a few occasions. I don't usually care for their shows, but I know that many do. And my feelings are not relevant. The Cadets are a great corps and for much of the drum corps community, some of their shows are some of the best ever. If anyone can show us what a real show is through just plain good music and good visual, it's the Cadets.

Again, the season is not over, and their final placement is far from certain. But you know what they say about failure sometimes being the best teacher. Here's to hoping the members of the Cadets finish the season with a smile no matter what their numbers are :mmm: And one more to Mr. Hopkins keeping the reactions of the fans in mind next year when he designs their 07 program. :mmm:

I know these guys signed up for the summer they're marching, but if I had spent my childhood watching 90s Cadets shows (which I did), and finally made the corps and was handed that show...I don't know what I'd do. I'm sure the members are doing everything they can, but there's only so much you can do as a performer with what your given.