Why no Division 1 Corps in Texas ?

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but why are there no DCI Div. 1 Corps in Texas ? DCI will have 6 shows in Texas this year.... San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Denton, Midland, Frisco. DCI sends their best Corps there every year now for Drum Corps fans who live in that area to see. All of their top Corps. Kids from Texas go out of State to join Corps every year. To the Midwest predominently, but to all 4 corners of the US too. Why is that ? Lack of well heeled financial backers in Texas ? That can't be the reason. Lack of support among many of the Band Directors ? That doesn't seem to be a viable reason, otherwise why the heck is DCI blanketing Texas like this ? So what's up with the lack of a Div. 1 Competitive Corps in Texas, and do folks with knowlege about the State of Texas envision a day in the near future that'll we'll see a Div.1 Corps from that State ?

Edited by X DM

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Because it's hot as #### down here.

2) Because it's hard to incorporate in Texas; the laws here make it difficult to establish the sort of fundraising activities that corps in other states make use of.

3) Because a lot of people just don't want to be a part of something new; they want to be in an established and successful corps right off the bat, and don't have the patience to see things through the long term (this is a problem we've encountered a lot in Frontier).

4) Did I mention it's freakin' hot down here?

Seriously, though, I would consider 3 to be the biggest reason. There have been countless corps that have come and gone all over the state, and in the end it often just boils down to membership. I talk to kids down here who haven't spent minute one on tour but think that "only the top 5 corps are worth it" and "I only want to march if I have a chance to win" or some such attitude. Texas is definitely a "show-me" kind of state; if you can show folks that you're going somewhere, it's easier to get people on board; a tri-fold brochure and some words about the joy of drum corps don't get as much attention. Our (Frontier's) method has been to try to get as many community performances as possible, and this has yielded good results so far; once folks see what we're doing, they're more willing to come out and give us a shot, rather than simply respond to electronic and physical recruiting materials. This is all just my observation, of course, but it has been the way things have shaken out over the last couple years.

You can't just be Division 1.

Get a Mark Cuban or Ross Perot to do a Cook Group/ Star of Indiana thing down here and maybe it'll work.

Heck, the Dallas Mavericks have a corps caliber drumline already - maybe they now need a DCI corps to perform at Cowboys games in that new Arlington stadium.... are you listening Jerry?

i can definently see that kind of attitude out there with the high caliber of marching bands the state produces..

2) Because it's hard to incorporate in Texas; the laws here make it difficult to establish the sort of fundraising activities that corps in other states make use of.

how do the marching bands fundraise? is it different because its part of the school/booster? if thats the case, cant they do what JSU is doing?

Get a Mark Cuban or Ross Perot to do a Cook Group/ Star of Indiana thing down here and maybe it'll work.

Heck, the Dallas Mavericks have a corps caliber drumline already - maybe they now need a DCI corps to perform at Cowboys games in that new Arlington stadium.... are you listening Jerry?

Having lived in Cowtown for 12 years, I'll suggest that folks re-read Dave's post. He's right on. I'll only add:

Southern Baptist (tough fund-raising laws) and band directors.

i can definently see that kind of attitude out there with the high caliber of marching bands the state produces..

how do the marching bands fundraise? is it different because its part of the school/booster? if thats the case, cant they do what JSU is doing?

Yes, it's definitely because of the booster clubs. We are looking into some options like that, but it's a matter of finding a school that will work well with us and that will be willing to enter into a mutually beneficial situation with us; that's just a matter of time. A big problem many junior corps in Texas have faced boils down to managerial inexperience; you get young directors that remember what it was like on tour, and think that if they can just get some kids on a field, it'll all work out. It takes a lot of time and patience to establish the necessary foundation for a junior corps, and frankly, a lot of the directors we've seen down here haven't had that.

What about the future of Revolution or Trinity? Would either corps aspire to joining the DI ranks?

1) Because it's hot as #### down here.

3) Because a lot of people just don't want to be a part of something new; they want to be in an established and successful corps right off the bat, and don't have the patience to see things through the long term (this is a problem we've encountered a lot in Frontier).

4) Did I mention it's freakin' hot down here?

Ding Ding Ding!!!

A friend of mine recently said "Summers in Texas aren't so bad... if you're a baked potato!"

Summers can be brutal down here (just ask any corps that made a pass through in the last week).

But I think the "new" factor is a real killer too. Look at all the D1 staff and members and former D1 staff and members that are all over Texas (Houston and the north Texas area are hotbeds). It seems like if we had another "Sky Ryders" type opportunity where an already established corps just appeared here, the people would check it out. But staff and potential members alike go where the predictability is. A well oiled machine that runs smoothly and promises a particular product is just gonna have the draw. AND the financial footing a corps needs to be successful is part of the what makes that all possible too.

Then on top of that you have so many school districts that have policies not allowing outside groups to use their facilities or equipment and you practically need another Star/Cook Group situation for a corps to have a place to call home...

Edited by bradrick

Yes, it's definitely because of the booster clubs. We are looking into some options like that, but it's a matter of finding a school that will work well with us and that will be willing to enter into a mutually beneficial situation with us; that's just a matter of time. A big problem many junior corps in Texas have faced boils down to managerial inexperience; you get young directors that remember what it was like on tour, and think that if they can just get some kids on a field, it'll all work out. It takes a lot of time and patience to establish the necessary foundation for a junior corps, and frankly, a lot of the directors we've seen down here haven't had that.

If Texas can find that managerial experience you speak of, and has the time and patience to work out these fund raising kinks, Texas could put together one heck of a competitive DIV.1 Drum Corps. That state is not lacking for kids with potential talent to bring home a title to that State.