Why no Division 1 Corps in Texas ?

with the bigger marching bands in texas and indiana.. what percent of those members go on to march a junior corps? i know there is talent there, and there is some interest.. but is there enough to start a competitive drum corps? there have been smaller div 2/3 corps in the past few years in texas alone (havent heard of any in indiana).. but they hurt in numbers.. so what will be different in starting another corps in texas so that it will actually get competitive?

i think what someone said earlier is going to be the biggest issue in that.. and thats getting people who want to start something new, and not go straight into a top competing corps.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been several attempts over the years to start a corps in Indiana but it seems that one of two things happen:

1) There isnt enough interest in membership

or

2) The corps director tries to accompish too much too fast

To be honest...these two issues probably kill off most corps that are trying to start up.

The fall marching band programs here are really good too.

In order to get support from band programs for Star of Indiana...Jim Mason had to convince high school band directors that he wouldnt steal their kids and ruin their fall programs (I dont think the kids marching would have ruined their programs...but thats another story).

Texas is a huge state, even if a lot of band directors didnt want their kids to march...there are still plenty of kids to make a corps or two. Revolution seems to be doing well. They're taking a slow and steady approach and hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

Texas requires that you take it slow, slow, slow. If you try and do too much, too fast, you'll screw yourself over in no time.

Polaris is currently jumping through all the legal hoops to incorporate and get non-profit status...but we aren't going to field a corps right out of the gate. We've got a long range plan in place to slowly build up to that point.

First, we're flooring a WGI Drumline. Drumlines are TONS easier to fund and keep going then corps are, and if you have a co-operative high school for practice space/equipment (which we do) it gets even easier. The drumline allows us to establish our name in a competitive environment, and to start building a financial and member foundation with which to expand. Drumlines can be use for fundraisers for all sorts of hometown events (parades, drum-a-thons, sports games, etc.).

We plan to floor a WGI Winterguard the season after, so we have 2 programs running simulatneously that together still cost less than a full corps program, but give us a chance to increase our experience and widen that member base and name recognition at the same time. Plus, more kids means more fundraising options.

ONLY when those two programs are running under their own steam and we've made sure the money is in place will we field a corps. By then we'll have an indoor line and a winterguard as a talent pool, we'll just need to find some brass players!

I'm committed to not jumping the gun. I'm sticking it out as long as it takes. If we don't have the resources to bring out the next ensemble when the plan says we were going to, we don't bring them out, we wait a year. Its that simple.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Texas requires that you take it slow, slow, slow. If you try and do too much, too fast, you'll screw yourself over in no time.

Polaris is currently jumping through all the legal hoops to incorporate and get non-profit status...but we aren't going to field a corps right out of the gate. We've got a long range plan in place to slowly build up to that point.

First, we're flooring a WGI Drumline. Drumlines are TONS easier to fund and keep going then corps are, and if you have a co-operative high school for practice space/equipment (which we do) it gets even easier. The drumline allows us to establish our name in a competitive environment, and to start building a financial and member foundation with which to expand. Drumlines can be use for fundraisers for all sorts of hometown events (parades, drum-a-thons, sports games, etc.).

We plan to floor a WGI Winterguard the season after, so we have 2 programs running simulatneously that together still cost less than a full corps program, but give us a chance to increase our experience and widen that member base and name recognition at the same time. Plus, more kids means more fundraising options.

ONLY when those two programs are running under their own steam and we've made sure the money is in place will we field a corps. By then we'll have an indoor line and a winterguard as a talent pool, we'll just need to find some brass players!

I'm committed to not jumping the gun. I'm sticking it out as long as it takes. If we don't have the resources to bring out the next ensemble when the plan says we were going to, we don't bring them out, we wait a year. Its that simple.

Slow and steady wins the race.

I am really impressed and actually relieved to hear that there are some people out there that take it slow.

I feel like every year, late summer I hear of a new amazing corps that will be fielding next summer.

This corps has plans to march 60 kids and do a full tour. I couldnt even fathom getting the performance equipment for a 60 person corps...much less a tour bus, cook truck, uniforms, housing, etc.

Have you also considered hosting a DCI show too? I know it requires some upfront money...but the payoffs can be really excellent.

Thanks to hosting a drum corps show...my high school was able to stop selling cheese and sausages.

i agree.. that sounds like a good plan in thinking about the future. hope to see you guys on the big screen eventually..

but more importantly...

Bb or G?

lol. :)

Actually, I'm open to either option. It will all come down to what I can get a good deal on.

If I can find a G set, used or otherwise, for a great price, I'll go G. And I'll have no problem with it.

There are no Div I corps in TX because members wouldn't be able to see snow like they can in the mid-west and east during winter camps.

This is the same reason there aren't any Div I corps in California.

There are no Div I corps in TX because members wouldn't be able to see snow like they can in the mid-west and east during winter camps.
This is the same reason there aren't any Div I corps in California.

I think they were joking....or at least I hope they were!

Not true, it snows every winter in Lubbock/Amarillo and also in El Paso. Most poeple think of Texas as a big flat state with heat being the only weather here, but the lone star state has mountains in West Texas and about every type of landscape and weather you can think of. Now it may snow 6 -10 inches at a time instead of 3-10 ft. at a time but hey, it was always enough snow to play football and build snowmen up at Texas Tech when i was up there!! B)

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98