Why no Division 1 Corps in Texas ?

Ding Ding Ding!!!

A friend of mine recently said "Summers in Texas aren't so bad... if you're a baked potato!"

Summers can be brutal down here (just ask any corps that made a pass through in the last week).

But I think the "new" factor is a real killer too. Look at all the D1 staff and members and former D1 staff and members that are all over Texas (Houston and the north Texas area are hotbeds). It seems like if we had another "Sky Ryders" type opportunity where an already established corps just appeared here, the people would check it out. But staff and potential members alike go where the predictability is. I well oiled machine that runs smoothly and promises a particular product is just gonna have the draw. AND the financial footing a corps needs to be successful is part of the what makes that all possible.

Then on top of that you have so many school districts that have policies not allowing outside groups to use their facilities or equipment and you practically need another Star/Cook Group situation for a corps to have a place to call home...

Spirit is from a hot, humid, Southern climate area. Magic is from Orlando Florida and it can be humid as heck in Central Florida in the Summer. Plus, all Div.1 Corps travel out of their base regions to compete most of the summer anyway. So, I'm not getting the heat factor. What's the weather like in Texas in Jan, Feb, March ? A Corps from Texas could practice out of doors then which is advantageous. You can't practice out of doors in Jan, Feb, March in Wisconsin or Illinois or New Jersey. And this can be the most critical time of year when Championships are won or lost too.

Edited by X DM

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a Mark Cuban or Ross Perot to do a Cook Group/ Star of Indiana thing down here and maybe it'll work.

Heck, the Dallas Mavericks have a corps caliber drumline already - maybe they now need a DCI corps to perform at Cowboys games in that new Arlington stadium.... are you listening Jerry?

A Perot corp might not have the overall tone that drum corps want. A giant sucking sound gets low brass scores :)

If Texas can find that managerial experience you speak of, and has the time and patience to work out these fund raising kinks, Texas could put together one heck of a competitive DIV.1 Drum Corps. That state is not lacking for kids with potential talent to bring home a title to that State.

I'm always amazed that no Div I corps reside in either Texas or Indiana, arguably the two best states for marching band in the country. I suppose it makes sense that Indiana would be a tough place to start. With so many established junior corps in the midwest area, I can see why membership might be difficult, and many corps draw from Texas now as well. Still, you'd think the potential would be there, if you can ooffer camps that are far easier to attend than what any other corps is offering. I would think there has to be niche there, especially for those who aren't quite ready to make Phantom, Cavaliers, Glassmen or 'Coats.

i think the real factor when it comes to a competitive div 1 corps is the "feeder" colleges.. its great to have a lot of good high schools in the area, but to be competitive in div 1 (im talking top 3).. you cant rely on high school kids, you need the talent, maturity, experience.. of college or 18+ members. now thats not saying a corps based in a big marching band area wouldnt be successful.. there is definently talent in those states (indiana, texas, etc)

i also wonder about how those states (in general) feel about drum corps. are directors in indiana and texas typically pro or anti drum corps?

Starting a DIV 1 strength corps takes ONE individual with the time and personality to make it happen, a Pied Piper so to speak. I think if a George Hopkins type wanted to do this in Texas it would happen.

Texas would be great, nice weather for rehearsals during the winter, and go north for summer tour!

i think the real factor when it comes to a competitive div 1 corps is the "feeder" colleges.. its great to have a lot of good high schools in the area, but to be competitive in div 1 (im talking top 3).. you cant rely on high school kids, you need the talent, maturity, experience.. of college or 18+ members. now thats not saying a corps based in a big marching band area wouldnt be successful.. there is definently talent in those states (indiana, texas, etc)

i also wonder about how those states (in general) feel about drum corps. are directors in indiana and texas typically pro or anti drum corps?

Most colleges don't put out shows anything like what the top high school bands produce. Yeah, they usually play better, but there's a huge difference in the visual. I think if DCI is the marching major leagues, the minor leagues are definitely the high school bands. I mean, just look at the bios for about every corps designer. You'll find far more positions with high schools than you will with colleges.

As for how Indiana feels about drum corps, it seems that they are very welcoming. Carmel HS is Cavaliers Lite, when it comes to staff, and Avon is tied in pretty close with Carolina Crown, Matt Harloff is assistant director there. There's a DCI regional here every year, and corps have regular housing at schools that welcome them back every year. With BOA, and now DCI, headquartered in Indy, I think there's no question that the city is very welcoming, even at the high school, level of drum corps.

What about the future of Revolution or Trinity? Would either corps aspire to joining the DI ranks?

I concur with this question. You can't just BECOME a DI corps anyway. I am not familiar with Trinity but Revolution is a very good corps, which nurtured properly could make its way through the ranks.