perfect pitch

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have relative pitch. If you ask me to sing a G i have to remember a song

i know thats in the key of G.

I can do exactly what you can do.

Now, what is nice is that if you're playing or practicing an instrument such as trombone like I do fairly often, you get those notes stuck in your head.

Now, to improve, and quite possibly train your ears for pitch, buy yourself a tuning fork in the pitch of A or Bb. Carry it in your pocket wherever you go. When you get the urge to test your pitch, hum a note and then use the fork. I've actually gotten quite good at guessing an A even though I know I do not have perfect pitch.

Now, things like intervals are easy as long as I have a starting note. You could give me a note, say an A and tell me to sing a C and I'd be able to pretty easily. Though that is just having decent pitch.

I dont have perfect pitch. Not even close to it and it does not bother me one bit. Most people I know that have perfect pitch cant play in an ensemble to save their lives. They are always too stubborn to adjust. I cant tell you how many times I have heard someone say " I am not sharp/flat...I have perfect pitch...." So they just keep playing 10 cents out of tune to the rest of the ensemble...

I dont have perfect pitch. Not even close to it and it does not bother me one bit. Most people I know that have perfect pitch cant play in an ensemble to save their lives. They are always too stubborn to adjust. I cant tell you how many times I have heard someone say " I am not sharp/flat...I have perfect pitch...." So they just keep playing 10 cents out of tune to the rest of the ensemble...

GRRRRRRR...that would be a friend of mine in college. That is quite annoying. Yes, he's playing 10 cents out of tune to the rest of the ensemble, BUT HE'S RIGHT, ISN'T HE? :P

Then, there's the cheater's way of fooling people into thinking you have perfect pitch.

Flourescent lights "hum" at Bb. If you can hear the lights hum, and are good at relative pitch, you can fool anyone. This won't work in Europe, though. It has to be a 60-cycle AC system, and Europe is at 50-cycles, which is why you need a voltage converter when you travel.

BTW, most Corona bottles "pop" at F natural.

Garry, your friendly DCP bartender

Edited by CrunchyTenor

wierd,,but I do and I play snare. play a little piano though.was classicly trained as a youngster,but didn't apply myself,it was a concession so I could play drums

Edited by zarblap

I know that have perfect pitch cant play in an ensemble to save their lives. They are always too stubborn to adjust. I cant tell you how many times I have heard someone say " I am not sharp/flat...I have perfect pitch...." So they just keep playing 10 cents out of tune to the rest of the ensemble...

Those are the same people who are set mongers. They insist that they are exactly

on their set, but since they weren't guiding to the form, it looks like crap.

The audience and the judges don't know that you are supposed to be 1 step

in front of the back hash mark and 2 steps inside the 40....but they know that

the form doesn't look right! <**>

O.k. off my soap box

Edited by madalumni