Are Scouts & SCV still among "the elite?"

I don't mean to be rude or to step on any toes here, but considering how things have been going over the past couple of years, do DCI fans still consider SCV and the Madison Scouts to be among the "elite" top few corps? For several years, there were six of them ... corps that were considered the "headliners" any place they were competing. They were, of course, the Blue Devils, the Cadets, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara, and Madison. Star of Indiana joined that group briefly and in earlier years, other corps like the 27th Lancers and Bridgemen could have been included (edit: and Garfield and Cavaliers weren't). So are Madison and SCV still part of that "top-tier" club? And have the fans added the Bluecoats to the group? It's not necessarily about placements and scores, it's more about popular perception and name recognition among "casual" fans (and prospective future members).

Edited by Orpheus

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. One or two down years does not remove you from the elite. The good news is, we have a new legit elite corps in Bloo and I think Crown is not far behind them. Boston looked like they were going to be one in 2000, but couldn't sustain. Same with Gmen.

I would say #### YES! I don't think yearly placements is the ONLY criterion for greatness. And an occasional semi off year cannot negate the historical excellence.

Heh, I go by the rule of threes.

Since 2000, the top three has always been the Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils, with SCV in '04 Phantom last year being the exceptions to the rule. I'd say the truly elite are those three, but the second tier is still a solid group. Based upon this decade, certainly I would put Phantom and SCV in there, and Bluecoats to make it a good top six. Crown, Boston, and Madison are all in the next grouping, with BK, Glassmen, and Spirit in the next three.

These are in general terms, and based upon the last five years or so. And of course, it's just my own perspective.

Edited by Maedhros

Good question. I consider "elite" to be Top 5, but that's just my opinion.

I'd say SCV should still be counted, but Madison hasn't jumped back up to "elite" status yet. If SCV doesn't break Top 5 this year or next, I'd move them down as well.

Heh, I go by the rule of threes.

Since 2000, the top three has always been the Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils, with Phantom last year being the one exception to the rule. I'd say the truly elite are those three, but the second tier is still a solid group. Based upon this decade, certainly I would put Phantom and SCV in there, and Bluecoats to make it a good top six. Crown, Boston, and Madison are all in the next grouping, with BK, Glassmen, and Spirit in the next three.

These are in general terms, and based upon the last five years or so. And of course, it's just my own perspective.

SCV tied for the championship in 99 and was third in 04 (Cadets were 4th). They have a total of 6 DCI championships over 3 decoades!

I would say both corps are deffinatly elite. It's not just recent placements as another poster said but overall history.

Madison also has a long history of excellence with two DCI championships.

SCV was the second exception to the rule in '04. I say both are still considered elite simply because of their long term history. If either of them would be considered outside of that group it definitely would not be Vanguard. They've finished outside of the top 6 only 4 times in their history and only once in the last 13 years! To include them in any conversation of no longer being elite is ludicrous. B)

Edited by Machine

Put it this way, then -- all else being equal, would a prospective marching member automatically put the Scouts or the Vanguard ahead of a corps like the Glassmen or BK on his "wish list," as he almost surely would have done ten years ago, just because of their history of excellence? Know what I'm trying to say? Are they still perceived as being one of the best of the best of the best, as BD or the Cavaliers unquestionably are.

Edited by Orpheus