Are Scouts & SCV still among "the elite?"

I'd say it is problematic to base your perception of a product's worth on other people's perception of it. And from reading over these posts, it would appear that "Elite vs. Not Elite" = what scores the judges have been giving particular corps over the last few years.

DCI is a competition and the judges have most of the control of the outcome of the scores. (I say "most" because I really believe crowd reaction affects the G.E. caption.) But the judges don't tell me what shows are "successful".

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, as tempting as it is (and I've even done some of it this year) I try not to view DCI like a Wall Street analyst crunching numbers to see which company has the best net worth according to statistics. I just want to be wowed by how cool and clean and effective a product is. (Oh, and I'm a sucker for loud too!)

Any corps that knocks my socks off is "Elite" in my book.

:P

Edited by bradrick

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the answer to the question of whether SCV or Madison should be considered part of the elite anymore is answered by the increased buzz and energy that arises the moment either of them enters the field. Say what you will about the merits of the corps show designs or the quality of the performances, but for me, I'll judge their status on the palpable change of energy and anticipation that occurs each time they take the field. That's what makes them elite. And as a result of that special energy that both create, any kid in attandance is bound to fall for either of the two.

Case in point, SCV last year. By all accounts a down year for them, but, aside from the Cadets and Phantom last year, noone performed and created as much positive energy from the audience as SCV did at Finals. They are a class act and every time they enter the field, they command respect and admration from the audience.

:rock::rock::rock:

Very well said

Any corps that knocks my socks off is "Elite" in my book.

:P

Well then that's like ten or twelve for me every year, at least. :rock:

Is performance level really the major factor?

I think elite might be actually be definied by the quality of experience for the participants...

- how well do they eat?

If you base it off that, then he!! yes! SCV is elite when it comes to eating. I never ate so good and so much in my life.

Yes. One or two down years does not remove you from the elite. The good news is, we have a new legit elite corps in Bloo and I think Crown is not far behind them. Boston looked like they were going to be one in 2000, but couldn't sustain. Same with Gmen.

Bluecoats would need to finish in the top 4 this year, (which they are capable of doing,) then follow that up with at least a 4th place finish in 2007 to be considered an " elite corps ", in my view. The current" elite Corps "in my criteria would have had to have had at least 2 years in the top 4 in the last 6 years. So with that criteria, the current " elite Corps " would be The Cadets, Cavies, Blue Devils, and Phantom with SCV with one foot in and one foot out in this elite staus. Madison in this criteria would be former elite Corps. But everybody's criteria for the definition of " elite Corps " can be different.

Edited by X DM

considering their long-term history and number of championships, madison and scv will always be perceived by myself as "elites" and/or "standard bearers." a couple of down seasons doesn't mean the end of them. only time can tell on that one.

btw...why does Phantom consistently get the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" treatment? from '89 until '04 had the highest score never to win.

its time for another ring in rockford

considering their long-term history and number of championships, madison and scv will always be perceived by myself as "elites" and/or "standard bearers." a couple of down seasons doesn't mean the end of them. only time can tell on that one.

btw...why does Phantom consistently get the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" treatment? from '89 until '04 had the highest score never to win.

its time for another ring in rockford

Until this year, Troopers were considered an " elite Corps " by many " casual " veteran fans too, despite a couple of decades of lower placements. They were a " standard bearer " and great for for such a long, long time, ( for more than a decade there for awhile) that they never lost that " elite status " despite their more recent decades of placements . With this criteria, Madison would still be considered an " Elite Corps ". Again, it depends on each person's criteria and time line.

Edited by X DM

To me the elite are the "top six" corps from the years that I marched...that being Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Cadets, SCV, Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment.

These corps have been in the top 6 more then they have not...and having a few down years doesnt change my opinion.

SCV hit a rough spot in the early 90s for about two years. People say that Regiment has had a rough time the last 10 years, but they have only been out of the top 6 3 times (98-00). Madison was back in the thick of things last summer...I just think they need to find their stride again.

I'm really impressed by Bluecoats and I think they having a winning formula...but I really think these top 6 corps have really contributed a lot to the innovation and history of DCI.

Heh, I go by the rule of threes.

Since 2000, the top three has always been the Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils, with SCV in '04 Phantom last year being the exceptions to the rule. I'd say the truly elite are those three, but the second tier is still a solid group. Based upon this decade, certainly I would put Phantom and SCV in there, and Bluecoats to make it a good top six. Crown, Boston, and Madison are all in the next grouping, with BK, Glassmen, and Spirit in the next three.

These are in general terms, and based upon the last five years or so. And of course, it's just my own perspective.

I'm a little confussed with the placement of Crown and Glassmen in your "groupings" The highest Crown has ever placed is 6th while the Glassmen have placed 5th 3 times. Why would you consider Crown a more "elite" corps then the Glassmen. Shouldn't they be in the same grouping as Boston who has within the past 5 years reached the 3 5th place finishes? Also you have Bluecoats above corps like Boston, Glassmen Madison when they just reached the top five last year. I'm not bashing any of these corps just wondering how you came to your conclusions of "grouping"

Edited by skd7781