He||

You brought up a thread about Steak and BJ night, which I never saw. I asked you if you reported it so that we could of had a look at it.

Fair enough.

Things being what they are at DCP, though...I don't feel like being "that guy" and having everyone else ###### off at me for ruining their fun with that stuff in those kinds of threads.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't allow filter circumvention in any way shape of form. This has been a rule since day one of DCP.

For consistancy (you know, that little thing we here at DCP often get accused of NOT having), we handle all instances of filter circumvention the same, context being irrelevant.

If would be nice if the very small minority of members who bring this issue up every couple months would understand that.

Obviously something is wrong. I did not try to circumvent anything, but I was kicked off for having posted things like % or # or*.

Apples and oranges.

I can agree with you Geoff. I was over the top on that one post. I will admit that. But people should know that just because the words do not show up, they are still held to interpretation.

We don't ignore the issue. We never have. We just get tired of addressing it every couple months when someone brings it up again.

Would you like me to address it again? Ok, here goes:

The forum filter software is not going to change. The filters are in place for a reason. Filter circumvention is against our forum guidelines, and repeated offenses will be dealt with accordingly.

Lisa, if you would like to take the time to write the software for a forum that can understand context, I'm sure we'd be more than happy to take a look at it.

Geoff, I knew this would happen. Someone would mentin "...if you want to take the time...." Geoff....you had the time to go into my post, change all the places where I mention A MAN'S NAME to ####. In that TIME that you took to do that.....could you not have used your internal context meter, which I know you have to say...."Oh.... she wasn't using a swear word, she was talking about a man. A man whose name is D ick." I realize the filter is a software program. But you, a carbon based lifeform (I assume) can see that I was not using a swear word, you had the time to realize this.

If you can tell me where in the forum guidelines it says I'm not allowed to use a person's name ( be it D ick, or Kinosh1ta) I'll let this drop. Otherwise, you had the time to change the post, which means you had the time to realize I wasn't breaking forum guidelines.

Period.

I know it seems small and petty. And really..... it is..... but sometimes, the re-god-######-diculousness of it all really gets to me.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

Geoff, I knew this would happen. Someone would mentin "...if you want to take the time...." Geoff....you had the time to go into my post, change all the places where I mention A MAN'S NAME to ####. In that TIME that you took to do that.....could you not have used your internal context meter, which I know you have to say...."Oh.... she wasn't using a swear word, she was talking about a man. A man whose name is D ick." I realize the filter is a software program. But you, a carbon based lifeform (I assume) can see that I was not using a swear word, you had the time to realize this.

If you can tell me where in the forum guidelines it says I'm not allowed to use a person's name ( be it D ick, or Kinosh1ta) I'll let this drop. Otherwise, you had the time to change the post, which means you had the time to realize I wasn't breaking forum guidelines.

Period.

I know it seems small and petty. And really..... it is..... but sometimes, the re-god-######-diculousness of it all really gets to me.

I guess that wasn't it, eh? :)

I know you wern't using a swear word, that's not the issue here. The issue is consistancy with enforcing our filter circumvention policy. As it stands right now, we edit all instances of filter circumvention that we see, or that get reported. Do we see them all, of course not. But as I was reading that thread yesterday, I saw your posts, and edited them. Took three seconds. We do not take context into consideration. We never have. The filters are in place, and we make sure they are used. Just like I did on this post:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry1608612

where you circumvented the filters once again. FYI, replacing one letter in a word with a * is circumventing the filters.

And of course, there is no policy against posting someones name.

Now

AMEN Lisa. Look at my thread they just closed, and for what? People talking about THEM. The CLUB has gotten out of hand. IMHO.

"Questions or concerns a member may have regarding any Policies/Guidelines must be handled privately via e-mail, or the Private Message (PM) feature to any DCP staff member. Public threads/posts regarding DCP Policies/Guidelines will be locked/removed."

Question? Is this privately owned or public?

The site, believe it or not is privately owned.

JohnD gets to make the rules. Period. Either they're followed or not.

I won't get into consistency of rule enforcement. It's well known how it is.

But, JohnD can decide whatever he wants. If we don't like it we can certainly go elsewhere.