He||

"PUBLIC threads/posts regarding DCP Policies/Guidelines will be locked/removed."

So this line means nothing? I think they need to make the rules make more sense.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, mods suck. Again, I propose another pay decrease. Since I'm only at half pay right now, it won't hurt to go down another half again. It's only money, after all. :rolleyes:

The fine art of deflection: Don't blame us, we just work here. :P

Yes, mods suck. Again, I propose another pay decrease. Since I'm only at half pay right now, it won't hurt to go down another half again. It's only money, after all. :rolleyes:

I took a job like that once. Never complained though. It was my choice.

I was't complaining. Just having a little fun. Like all of the others who volunteer on here, I think it's a great job to have.

See Lance, I interpreted it in a different way. Just like you would. Funny isn't it.?

i seem to remember a time when the filters DID filter out the middle of a word that had some other word in it, for example, the word ### (3 letters, donkey) when it appeared in brass, class, etc, ended up looking like br### which was just ridiculous....and this no longer happens

am i the only person who remembers this? maybe it was over on mbp...

We don't allow filter circumvention in any way shape of form. This has been a rule since day one of DCP.

For consistancy (you know, that little thing we here at DCP often get accused of NOT having), we handle all instances of filter circumvention the same, context being irrelevant.

If would be nice if the very small minority of members who bring this issue up every couple months would understand that.

good point. this is one thing you have been consistent on all along.

tho, honestly, i've seen worse in CE than #### or ####. ya know when people refer to oral sex as certain things....especially when people decide to ##### about Clinton.

those stay, but #### and #### dont. that's odd.

i seem to remember a time when the filters DID filter out the middle of a word that had some other word in it, for example, the word ### (3 letters, donkey) when it appeared in brass, class, etc, ended up looking like br### which was just ridiculous....and this no longer happens

am i the only person who remembers this? maybe it was over on mbp...

That has to do with the way the filter software works--you enter a string (pick your favorite) and then select either "exact" or "loose" interpretation. For example, if you picked 'yomama' as an entry on the badword filter, exact would only filter 'yomama' as '######', but 'yomamaiscool' would remain untouched. A "loose" interpretation, given the same inputs, would return '######' and '######iscool'.

Most "major" words are put in on loose interpretation because by and large, there are no acceptable words that contain that string of letters in any form, so that saves us from having to come up with all the possible variants. Every once in a while, it may appear in someone's name, but that is basically a regrettable consequence of the way the software works.

The definition of the words on 'the list' and the application of the software tool requires balance and a bit of understanding - by everyone involved. The filtering of 'inappropriate language' is an 'imprecise science' in our simple application - which does not afford us the flexibility the English language provides in the use and meaning of words. Therefore, we're forced to be 'mostly accurate' - for the 'greater good' of allowing a wider age-range access to the site. My guess is that the word filters affect less than 0.5% of all the words entered into this forum.

As Rich has announced in the Announcement Forum, we've made some changes to the list and its application - in the hopes that we can improve the 'accuracy' of the filters. Some words have been removed entirely - and we're going to appeal to your sense of propriety to ensure that the context of their use is appropriate for all ages (a nickname for "Richard" is one that comes to mind). This is not a declaration of "anything goes" on these terms, as the context in which they're used can vary widely. The context will continue to be evaluated and misuse will require that we remove the content and possibly take action against the offender.

Our primary intent is to make this site one where the widest number of people can participate, without the worry of having to deal with language that is in-appropriate. I know that the majority of our members appreciate and subscribe to that goal. I'm hoping that 100% will respect it.

Thank you for your consideration and support,

-john