Using drum corps to find new music...

DCI as Musical Edu-Ma-Cation.  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is drum corps one of the primary ways you expand your musical horizons?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Play some Skynyrd.

I had purchased the 1993 Star show from iTunes (orchestral).. funny to see how much star pulled from the original piece...

Edited by nummy1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't begin to tally all the pieces of music I bought as a result of hearing arrangements first on the field. Chuck Mangione, Kenton, Arturo Sandoval, Verdi Requiem, Britten's Young People's Guide - those are just a few. In 1976, I loved Phantom's Opener, but I couldn't remember which symphony it was from. So I looked around. Symphony of a Thousand sounded like the right description. What a great mistake to make. Back to the drawing board. Titan - that sure described what I heard that summer. Again, what a glorious mistake. By that time I thought "to heck with it!", and bought the boxed set conducted by Solti. Regiment made a Mahler fan of me.

Edited by Jim Anello

What?!?!? 86% of the people didn't need the music to be "accessible" AKA something they have heard before, for drum corps to be entertaiing?

for me id say no.. half the music i personally have no interest in, and the others ive probably heard before, or at least know who its by. there are a few songs that ive heard performed that i never heard before.. and there are a few songs that i listen to and think, man.. i could totally see X corps playing this.. and later i find out that they already have. lol

I can't say I "use" drum corps to find new music. It just kinda happened along the way!

Garry

No, but then again I have well over 5,000 CDs so I've been exposed to quite a bit. I do feel corps plays a valuable role in exposing the audience to music they would not have heard otherwise. When I was younger I definitely learned from drum corps and to a lesser extent marching band.

Coming from a non-musical family and a neighborhood where it was R&B and hiphop all the time I found alot of great music from D&C.

It started with mostly Phantom and Vanguard, I found alot of music I liked in the late 70's and 80's. I haven't found too much that makes me want to run out and buy a CD in the 90" and 00's.

Forgot before - Chops Inc 2005 closed with "Freebird".

(Get the lighters out...) :)

Just think, if Spirit hadn't played Interstellar Suite, the drum corps world would otherwise have never heard that bit of music!