cookville show cancelled

That was awesome.

I do distinctly remember corps performing in heavy rain in the past.

At DATR in '91, it started pouring rain pretty much at the downbeat of our opener, and didn't let up until half a minute or so after the end of our closer. The sound of the raindrops pelting our horns was so loud that it was difficult to hear anything else -- although I do remember hearing the crowd going nuts that we were still out there.

At the Meadowlands in '90, the Cadets went on despite the rain, ostensibly because it was their home show. The tympanist was constantly trying to wipe the tympani heads dry so they'd sound like something other than a pitched, dull thud. There was a bit in their show where a sop player threw his horn twenty or thirty feet into the air and caught it, and I was sure he wouldn't do it that night -- but he did. All in all a great performance from them.

However, I also remember 2003 Finals being nearly rained out entirely, and just about every show we attended in 2002 being delayed by rain the minute we left the field. I recall plenty of rain in the years I marched, but not plenty of shows being canceled for it. Did they just not care about us back then...?

AMPS!

WE had a DCA show last weekend that continued on with buckets of rain pouring down.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.... 87 was my rookie year but I don't remember any rain on finals night.... Semis either, and I know that it would not have been then, as we went on right after Madison (no rain).

In don't recall the year, but I do recall the show - it was Madison's with "Stars & Stripes" as a closer. And, the location was St Louis. This was a Prelims/Finals (regional?) show. I only got down there for finals because we were flooded in up in Chicagoland - major roads were flooded everywhere. Busch Stadium has arbsorbed the heat of the day (they were replaying videos from prelims on the Jumbotron, and they also showed the field temperature being very, very hot) - the stadium was a giant, smelly, sauna bath. In finals, only 1 or 2 corps performed, then during Madison's show, the sky opened up. It poured, and poured & there was lightning (fireworks for Stars & Stripes??), and Madison started getting louder & louder & the crowd went nuts. That was fun. Then we waited for what seemed like at least 2 hours. We teased a couple of times, when Star of Indiana's circus wagons made an appearance & it looked like they were going to set up, but it never happened. The crowd wasn't happy, since it wasn't even raining when they announced that the show was cancelled. Then, we got to drive home through flooded highways in St Louis.

this might be a similar situation tonight at the glendale show... in tucson two hours south it's been raining just about nonstop since ten pm last night and radar doesn't look promising...

AMPS!

WE had a DCA show last weekend that continued on with buckets of rain pouring down.

I was at Tenn. Tech last night, sky opened up and didn't stop till we were an hour west. We left at 10:30 when they called the show. They would have called the show regardless of Amps.

I feel for the contest sponsors in a situation like this. They stand to lose a large sum of money, unless covered by rain insurance. It's situations such as this that costs DCI dearly regarding non returning show sponsors each season. Some event sponsors may even face bankruptcy

if not properly managed and organized.

I feel for the contest sponsors in a situation like this. They stand to lose a large sum of money, unless covered by rain insurance. It's situations such as this that costs DCI dearly regarding non returning show sponsors each season. Some event sponsors may even face bankruptcy

if not properly managed and organized.

Why? The only thing they lost were concession sales during intermission

I was at Tenn. Tech last night, sky opened up and didn't stop till we were an hour west. We left at 10:30 when they called the show. They would have called the show regardless of Amps.

They won't listen, just let them have their witch hunt.

I will gladly not march a show when it's raining hard enough.

In 2003, we marched on anyway after a heavy rain, just because it was one of our home shows, and we had 17 guys fall that night, me being one of them.

It's a wonder no one was seriously injured.

I was under the stands when the cadets came on. Taking an "early intermission". But I heard a color guard member slipped and fell on one of the pink tables and messed up her ankle. When that happened, the corps just stopped and walked off the back of the field.

Also, It was a big mistake having such a big drum corps show at TTU. The souvie lot was very small. It was a small entrance to the bathrooms/concessions. Through Jubal, Madison, and Santa Clara, the front isleway was filled with people, having trouble getting to their seats. I wish it would have been in Murfressboro. Better venue, less rain. There were other choices, one in Nashville, Murray, KY. Just a little rant

Edited by kylerogers

I will gladly not march a show when it's raining hard enough.

In 2003, we marched on anyway after a heavy rain, just because it was one of our home shows, and we had 17 guys fall that night, me being one of them.

It's a wonder no one was seriously injured.

Yeah - as much as my personal feelings mean I would love to jump up and down and blame the amps, high speed drills (as in marching, not the power tools) are reason enough to take the corps off the field. Safety with the electricity is probably an added consideration, however.