Mini Corps is for the rich only

Corps that are recorded have full rights to sell their own show. For example, if I want to sell a CD with Renegades and Renegades Minicorps on it, I can use the official DCA recording.

Yes. And to add to it, if an organization is looking at this as paying for the rights to perform once ... maybe it needs to perform more than once. There are all kinds of performance opportunities in any given community throughout the year.

Edited by drumlaw80

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. And to add to it, if an organization is looking at this as paying for the rights to perform once ... maybe it needs to perform more than once. There are all kinds of performance opportunities in any given community throughout the year.

AND if you do do additional performances, whether now or down the road, a lot of times the company/companies hiring you will ask you for a music list, am may as if you have permissions to play that music!! Especially conventions who usually record the event, either for their records or for promotional material later!

I ran into that problem at a convention , and we had to change music in midstream due to not being able to produce a copy of music performance rights by the arranger ! better safe than sorry ,,

Maybe you need to read the United States Copyright Act before you continue to whine about having to pay for rights acquisition.

Wow, did he strike a nerve? Awful defensive don't you think

I read his post three times and didn't see any whining at all...It seems to me that he was trying to bring to light how others take care of the licensing. Just because it's done the way it is currently done in DCA doesn't mean it can't change/evolve. The key point that I took from the article was that perfomers do not pay for the licensing, but producers cover the cost. I don't see why this couldn't be handled this way in DCA.

So can you explain why this could not be handled this way in DCA?

he may have gotten testy because this was beaten to death months ago on here.

however in order to be recorded, anymore it's better to be safe than sorry. one lawsuit could cost you a lot more than $1,000

however in order to be recorded, anymore it's better to be safe than sorry. one lawsuit could cost you a lot more than $1,000

That brings up an interesting question though. I realize anyone can sue anyone in America. However, in this situation, who's open to the suit, the recording entity looking to drive revenue of the recording or the group performing? (Again, I'm sure both may be vulnerable but I'm curious as to which is the more likely and/or lucrative target?)

To Chris' point, I understand that we can use our own recording. However, we also have to get the additional rights that accompany selling said performance which is more $$$. But at least that is our choice, not one foisted upon us.

To Lee's point about performing elsewhere, some of the mini corps and many of the new ones do not have an opportunity to perform elsewhere due to prior commitments or simply the 'newness' of their group. The music performance rights requirements create another barrier to entry into the activity is what I believe the original poster was getting at...and that poster was/is correct. However, it's a fact of life under the newest recording agreements with DCA so we have to abide by it.

i know Strutta, but Lee rarely gets testy. he usually passes that and shoots right into bannable actions :P

to answer your question, my guess would be both parties could be sued.

ok, let me ask you a question...do you think DCA has what...$10k laying around to pay for all of the mini corps who aren't even officially DCA members?

ok, let me ask you a question...do you think DCA has what...$10k laying around to pay for all of the mini corps who aren't even officially DCA members?

Where did that # come from? We really have know idea what it would cost, and I am not talking just about mini-corps. If you go back to the original post it could be a blanket agreement for DCA as a whole.