Crossmen have no housing in Madison

True, adult behaviors should be allowed by staff as long as they don't impact the experiences of the members. Don't forget that some of these members pay close to $2000 to do this acitivity, and that kind of investment needs to be respected. Overall, DCI does a pretty good job of getting corps management and staff to understand that, but as the expectations and maturity of the members has increased dramatically over the alst decade or so, the adult side of things has not always kept up.

A few years ago I hosted a top 6 corps that had a very difficult first part of the season. While I was talking to the vis. caption head he mentioned that they got a late start designing the show. How does that happen? They KNEW they would have a full corps, and they KNEW they would have a certain championship show sometime in August. This is not a corps that has to fill multiple holes, re-write drill to close off some of those holes, or re-write music because of missing parts. The reason this happened is that the best interests off all the members was not paramount to the management of the corps.

Simply put, if as adults we consider what is best for ALL kids, then decisions become easier to make. Allowing staff to drink on school property is adult centered, especially since now that school will never allow a corps back on its property. Drinking on a staff bus while in motion is illegal in many states. Think about how the members would be impacted if their instructors missed rehearsal because they were in jail. Then there is the point that nobody has brought up. How many corps do background checks of their volunteers. I see many putting out a posting for drivers, cooks, etc. online, yet do they take any steps to ensure that those individuals can legally be around that type of environment.

To tie it all up, housing is becoming more difficult because DCI is still working on the issue of putting the kids first and making this a very professional activity to be involved in. I do think, however, that a major vision needs to be articulated by DCI concerning the professional responsibilities staff has around its members. That will make it very clear that the kids come first and that almost any school would love to house a corps because they would be showcasing the absolute best that the today's youth can offer.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no excuse for DCI not to have every corps a housing sight before now.

None. Period.

As far as the drinking question is concerned. What is th issue? As long as the staff member is of legal age, and are not intoxicated or drinking around the members or the rehearsal site, they should be left to their own devices. If they can sell beer at finals, why shouldn't a staff member be able to have a brew?

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

As far as the drinking question is concerned. What is th issue? As long as the staff member is of legal age, and are not intoxicated or drinking around the members or the rehearsal site, they should be left to their own devices. If they can sell beer at finals, why shouldn't a staff member be able to have a brew?

Because the rules and laws of their current location trump being "left to their own devices." In some areas nobody knows what drum corps is and in others it has a bad reputation. It only takes one corps staff breaking the rules to get the entire activity a blackmark.

None. Period.

I don't even know where to start....OK.....it's a BIG issue. If a corps has a no alcohol policy, which all of them do, then that means EVERYBODY! From the director to the waterboy. The old "Don't do as I do, do as I say" attitude doesn't cut it. All in authotity should abide by the same rules and regulations that they set for their subordinants. It's called LEADERSHIP! And it DOES make a difference. I wouldn't follow one of my instructors if I were out there sweating bullets for them and I knew they got to kick back every night and knock down a cold beer while I was living the life of misery. Leaders like that aren't worth fighting for. Contrarily, if I had an instructor who was willing to share the same hardships as the rest of the corps, I'd lay down in traffic for them.

Teachers, administarion, and general staff of schools are not allowed to drink or smoke on the property even though they are adults. Smokers have to go to a corner or across the street from school property to smoke. Band directors and coaches are not to do those things going to, during, and returning from competitions. You just don't do those things around the students ever.

Same should be true for corps staff and volunteers. When you are at a housing, rehearsal, or show site, those activities should not be taking place by anyone!

Those activities should only be done away from the facility and the students/members.

None. Period.

The DCI staff has been working for MONTHS to secure housing for the summer tour. They can't force schools to open up, so what do you suggest?

You want to know how hard it is...volunteer to help find housing at a local show.

If they can sell beer at finals, why shouldn't a staff member be able to have a brew?

Fans in the stands are not necessarily in charge of a bunch of kids.

"There is no excuse for DCI not to have every corps a housing sight before now.

None. Period."

Being involved in show promotion for many years, I can affirm that lack of housing is a MAJOR problem. I assure you....unless you have been involved in hearing the NO's from school after school, you can not say that there is no excuse. Remember, you must have a willing band director (not hard at all), a willing principal (can be hard), a willing Athletic Director (very hard....he's trying to protect his facilities and doesn't want interference with his practice schedules), and a willing school system (the hardest....these groups have lawyers).

What must happen must happen at the top. Mr. Acheson MUST insist that corps have enforcable codes of conduct of their staffs/members or be penalized (monetarily or with eligibility to perform).

Also, DCI must be wise in its decisions as to where to hold Finals. We all know that Indianapolis is vying for Finals on a semi-permanent, rotating basis. Well....are the folks doing the courting promising that the schools within the area will cooperate 100%?????? DCI should not award Finals to any city that doesn't come through with numerous, open facilities for housing!!

Edited by 27SOA

I don't even know where to start....OK.....it's a BIG issue. If a corps has a no alcohol policy, which all of them do, then that means EVERYBODY! From the director to the waterboy. The old "Don't do as I do, do as I say" attitude doesn't cut it. All in authotity should abide by the same rules and regulations that they set for their subordinants. It's called LEADERSHIP! And it DOES make a difference. I wouldn't follow one of my instructors if I were out there sweating bullets for them and I knew they got to kick back every night and knock down a cold beer while I was living the life of misery. Leaders like that aren't worth fighting for. Contrarily, if I had an instructor who was willing to share the same hardships as the rest of the corps, I'd lay down in traffic for them.

OK...I give up. This is the last i will try this:

After practice, off campus, kids are done, staff is done...staff goes for some free time. Period. It is Legal, It is NOT against Corps policy and it is fine. BTW...the kids don't live a life of misery and the staff is with them sleeping in the schools, etc. and doing everything they do practically. The corps cannot tell a staff member they have to stay on sight 24/7 unless they signed a contract stating so. Period.

Wake up people...we live in America and things done responsibly is part of life. So, i guess, when kids get home from school, go to dinner with their parents and dad orders a beer then, by your logic, the kid shouldn't have to do his homework when they get home since dad isn't setting a good example? And the staff members aren't even with the kids at the time.

Sheesh.....man have we gotten too PC or am i just way off base here?

On campus, in front of kids, should never happen and the incident in Atlanta was unfortunate.

After practice, off campus, kids are done, staff is done...staff goes for some free time. Period. It is Legal, It is NOT against Corps policy and it is fine. BTW...the kids don't live a life of misery and the staff is with them sleeping in the schools, etc. and doing everything they do practically. The corps cannot tell a staff member they have to stay on sight 24/7 unless they signed a contract stating so. Period.

Wake up people...we live in America and things done responsibly is part of life. So, i guess, when kids get home from school, go to dinner with their parents and dad orders a beer then, by your logic, the kid shouldn't have to do his homework when they get home since dad isn't setting a good example? And the staff members aren't even with the kids at the time.

On campus, in front of kids, should never happen and the incident in Atlanta was unfortunate.

I guess reality is hard for some peple to deal with.

Thet's the most twisted aurgument I've ever read.