Crossmen have no housing in Madison

Mike/Carla...Can I assume that this school is in Cobb County? I know that in the past, back in the 80s, the school system banned drum corps from using the county's school facilities because of such lack of respect for their property.

There has to be some kind of discipline established. But what could you do? You can't fine some corps as they barely have enough money to tour. You can't pull them out of shows as that would be ripping the fans off.

Yes, it was South Cobb High School. DCI provides a housing inspection form. There is a provision for the withholding of show fees to a corps if there has been a reported problem. I imagine that outlet is being utilized.

A big hug to our friends with the Crossmen who sure made a lot of good friends up at Central HS in Florence, Alabama for the Russellville show last week!

For several very nice reasons :angel: he and I both hope the Crossmen have much brighter days ahead of them...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If housing goes, you won't have amps or anything else you perceive as some unspeakable danger to drum corps to complain about, because it'll just be gone. Game over :(

:unsure:

I was just about to send them an e-mail suggesting UW@Whitewater or a Whitewater school. Looks like they have found their a place to stay in Whitewater. http://www.yea.org/site/News2?JServSession...ws_iv_ctrl=1401

Now the Cadets need a place for the 7th and 8th. http://www.yea.org/site/News2?JServSession...ws_iv_ctrl=1401

Woo Hoo! This is great news! b**bs

A VERY easy way to rectify a situation like that is to make the offending corps who trashed a housing site pay for their own housing in hotels for the rest of the season. Hit 'em where it hurts...in the pocket...and hit 'em HARD! Also, the offending corps should reimburse that housing site 200% for any damages, send letters of apology, and the CORPS DIRECTOR should have to personally clean up any messes his members made before they leave the site. I guarantee you this would never, ever happen again with this corps.

The DCI governing body needs to enforce this to the letter, or they are cutting their own throats.

And when some of these corps just so happen to be some of the big names that draw people to the show to begin with PULL OUT because of this and the show site does not make enough $$$ to cover the show costs because fans turn around and do not attend the show because corps X, Y or Z decided not to attend then you start losing SHOWS. In the end I am not sure what the answer is. Maybe they can all go back to the VFW/boy scout days and make the corps CAMP OUTSIDE and use public facilities like YMCA's instead of educational facilities.

Just some random thoughts added.

Sure, a litigious environment is the backdrop school adminstrators have to work with, but it's inexcusable to give them a concrete rationale for acting on their fears and refuse the use of their facilities.

Dumb question: Are schools compensated for providing housing? If not, why would any school district WANT to take on all the liability and expense? I'm amazed that schools don't require DCI and/or corps to sign a liability waiver and post a bond for potential damages.

One positive about having a single finals venue is you'll (hopefully) be able to reuse venues year after year.

This topic can be closed since they have found a place to stay in Whitewater.

And when some of these corps just so happen to be some of the big names that draw people to the show to begin with PULL OUT because of this and the show site does not make enough $$$ to cover the show costs because fans turn around and do not attend the show because corps X, Y or Z decided not to attend then you start losing SHOWS.

I'm guessing that if there's a show in town, most drum corps fans will go whether there's a "big name" or not. And for the casual folks out for a night's entertainment by the "bands," they probably wouldn't recognize a "big name" if they saw it. Just my completely uninformed opinion.

What it comes down to is: are corps really alienating their hosts in a widespread way, or at least enough to affect lodging for the activity as a whole? And if so, is this worth giving special dispensation to "big names?" For the good of the whole, I'd say no.

Dumb question: Are schools compensated for providing housing? If not, why would any school district WANT to take on all the liability and expense? I'm amazed that schools don't require DCI and/or corps to sign a liability waiver and post a bond for potential damages.

One positive about having a single finals venue is you'll (hopefully) be able to reuse venues year after year.

Yes, schools are compensated for their housing. Corps should already be carrying liablilty insurance too.

But, what I really want to say here is that Gail always put up the Corps in a motel or hotel the week of finals. At least till '75. I think that he really wanted us to be totally rested for finals w/beds and hot showers. Always had a field to practice at too.

1975 was really great because we were actually watching the first 3 or 4 Corps doing their finals show on T.V.! It was the first time DCI (all 12 Corps) were shown at night. So while we got ready to go perform later on, we could see how everyone else was doing. It was very cool in a weird sort of way.