Amps: Where do we go from here?

Amps: Where do we go from here?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. For 2007 and beyond, what would you like to see?

• Allow anything and everything (electronics, woodwinds, etc)
    • Maintain the status quo
    • Maintain the status quo minus the non member mixer
    • Keep the amps for pit use only, ban soloists, vocals
    • Remove the amps altogether (go back to 2003)
  2. 2. If DCI's choice is 2,3, or 4 from above you will?

• Continue to follow the activity and attend shows
    • Stop following the activity and no longer attend shows
  3. 3. And if DCI's choice is 1 (allow anything and everything) you will

• Continue to follow the activity and attend shows
    • Stop following the activity and no longer attend shows

1, , 1

What an incredible surprise!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm waiting for the promotional tie in with American Idol

i'm waiting for the promotional tie in with American Idol

Taylor Hicks will be singing the National Anthem at Finals, and not the abbreviated version from the Citrus Bowl, but the entire tune! Wow, amazing.

Interesting poll questions for DCP. If this had been done 2 years ago, I don't think the tolerance for status quo would even be this high. Goes to show that the sky didn't fall after amps, and that people are a lot more flexible than we may think. On DCP, anyway. :unsure:

Is there any indication that DCI is seriously considering anything other than "status quo"? Given that 22 of 23 D1 corps are using amps this season, I can't imagine there's any real interest in returning to the 2003 rules. But by the same token, I doubt there is much support for introducting woodwinds or electronics.

Maybe there's some support for eliminating amplified voice - about a third of D1 corps have used it, but I also haven't read any statements from corps directors about eliminating it. If I had to predict, I'd say we could expect more changes like the off-field sound board that will improve the various technical issues around amplification.

Honestly, I'm hoping it won't be too long before program designers realize that narration is, was, and will always be bad. I'm sorry, if you like it, I have no possible way of understanding why. Singing, drumspeak, and even the Crossmen's radio segments are OK with me (still not a huge fan). However, straight up TALKING during a show is bad.

I don't know whether it's coincidence or whether there's a corrolation, but corps that heavily rely on amps often seem to be punished on the recaps. Last year's BD show and this year's Cadets are two prime examples. Would those corps have placed higher (though not necessarily win) if they minimized narration?

I believe corps are seeing how far they can push the technology. Personally, I can live with pit amps, even though I think it's overused. Even narration, if kept under 15-20 seconds, such as Cadets' Twilight Zone setup, is tolerable for me. I think amplified singing is always misguided (Cadets) and narration that pervades a show (Blue Stars, Cadets) ultimately detracts from it.

Is there any indication that DCI is seriously considering anything other than "status quo"? Given that 22 of 23 D1 corps are using amps this season, I can't imagine there's any real interest in returning to the 2003 rules. But by the same token, I doubt there is much support for introducting woodwinds or electronics.

Maybe there's some support for eliminating amplified voice - about a third of D1 corps have used it, but I also haven't read any statements from corps directors about eliminating it. If I had to predict, I'd say we could expect more changes like the off-field sound board that will improve the various technical issues around amplification.

The idea that 22 of 23 D1 corps are using amps means they accept the rules as they are is wrong. It just means they are trying to keep up with the Jones's. My guess is if asked, most directors would have no problem going back to the 2003 rules. There is absolutely nothing to lose by doing that.

As far as improving the various technical issues around amplfication, that would cost more money and time than any corps is willing to pay. I imagine even Hoppy would back me on that after what he and the Cadets have gone through this year.

Amps are cool. Narration to me is cheesy, if you need to explain it to me or use it to advance a storyline than I still smell cheese. Amped singing belongs in choral classrooms, not on the football field.

Interesting poll questions for DCP. If this had been done 2 years ago, I don't think the tolerance for status quo would even be this high. Goes to show that the sky didn't fall after amps, and that people are a lot more flexible than we may think. On DCP, anyway. :wall:

a lot of people then didnt want amps solely because of the voice option. i think that's still true today