Amps: Where do we go from here?

Amps: Where do we go from here?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. For 2007 and beyond, what would you like to see?

• Allow anything and everything (electronics, woodwinds, etc)
    • Maintain the status quo
    • Maintain the status quo minus the non member mixer
    • Keep the amps for pit use only, ban soloists, vocals
    • Remove the amps altogether (go back to 2003)
  2. 2. If DCI's choice is 2,3, or 4 from above you will?

• Continue to follow the activity and attend shows
    • Stop following the activity and no longer attend shows
  3. 3. And if DCI's choice is 1 (allow anything and everything) you will

• Continue to follow the activity and attend shows
    • Stop following the activity and no longer attend shows

This is something that will be coming up as this year comes to a close and I'm curious to see what you the DCP fanatical think about the future of the technology that has been in place for almost three years now in DCI. Please let's be civil and remember, this is about the future and where you would like to see this technology headed. I feel like the five choices in question one cover all of the possibilities. Let me know if you think I missed any. Thanks. PS if DCI decided to ban amps, what would you do?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I'm hoping it won't be too long before program designers realize that narration is, was, and will always be bad. I'm sorry, if you like it, I have no possible way of understanding why. Singing, drumspeak, and even the Crossmen's radio segments are OK with me (still not a huge fan). However, straight up TALKING during a show is bad. Why? Because it sounds bad. Honestly, I feel that if your show has to have narration in order to convey it to the audience, then you shouldn't do the show. This year's offender? Blue Stars. I hate hate HATE the show. Why? Not because the members don't work, not because the horns don't play, not because anything other than they narrate too much. Narration is bad, and the more you have, the more I'll dislike your show. I think that's fair. Hopefully all corps will realize that narration is not a good course of action and, if we must use amps, will move on to something more constructive.

from reading reviews, it seems narration in domes sucks. since dci is going to domes more and more, why chance it?

getting rid of amp will NEVER happen, but i think they are benificail to the pit so leave 'em in there, but no vocalists, and i would follow DCI till i die, even if it turns into a bigger BOA... god forbid ampssuck

if DCI decided to ban amps, what would you do?

i would be overjoyed

^0^! Personally, I go to DRUM CORPS shows to see people play instruments and spin objects. I do not support the singing what so ever! If I wanted to listen to someone sing badly I would listen to Whitney Houston or something. DCI needs to realize that the supporters,which are the fans, are tired of all the singing mess and they would like to see some playing again. That's beef!

^0^! Personally, I go to DRUM CORPS shows to see people play instruments and spin objects. I do not support the singing what so ever! If I wanted to listen to someone sing badly I would listen to Whitney Houston or something. DCI needs to realize that the supporters,which are the fans, are tired of all the singing mess and they would like to see some playing again. That's beef!

Well, I am glad you speak for all the fans. I was wondering who was going to do this, but now that I see it's you, I know things will be fine.

So are all the supporters tired of this?

If not, what percentage would you say are?

How would you know this in the first place? By reading reviews on this smallish, die hard community forum?

Hey, I agree that DCI and the directors have much to assess and address when it comes to the continuance of amps, voice, and mixers. But there is good and bad to be addressed. It is not all bad. People who are blinded by their hatred cannot truly assess from an objective standpoint. Only those willing to look at all angles, hear all arguments, and to do so from a distance can truly see with 20/20 vision.

But to speak about what the fans want is to generalize about the wants and needs of those you don't even know. Unless you have some proof that all the fans, or most of the fans, want no amps and narration and singing, then I suggest you limit your argument to YOU!