Raiders complete season with no drum major

Yea, lets slap some corps on the wrist for not having a cymbal line while we are at it!!!

Yeah, or maybe a full on kick in the butt. We need more cymbal lines

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if this shows my lack of knowledge, but how would things work without a drum major? Who starts the show? How is the corps introduced and acknowledged by the announcer and judges when it is time to start? Its nothing I've ever seen before, so I'm a little curious...

Anyone can salute from the field to indicate readiness. Anyone on the field can start things off, although it'd probably work best with a pit intro. I mean, I guess center snare could tap, but... that seems a little bush league. Certainly doesn't seem insurmountable.

I, too, would like to know more of this frightening trend of DM-less marching bands. Apparently it hasn't hit the West Coast in full force yet.

As posted by the DCP Newsbot, the Raiders will again finish their season without a drum major. Is this an issue that DCI should consider during next year's rules discussions? I know it doesn't come up very often in drum corps, but I would like to see this not become a trend as it has in marching band.

How is it an 'issue'?

It's a TREND IN MARCHING BAND??? Really???

Somebody slap me...apparently I'm not seeing the same trend you are.

If Raiders can survive without one, that's there choice. To have a DM or not should not be a rules issue. It should be a corps' call. Although barring unforseen circs, I think NOT having a DM is stupid. But it's a right to make stupid decisions.

it is a trend at least here in the East, and surprisingly, I have seen some ###### good bands pull it off and win championships. not what i would do, but they stage themselves smartly, place a ton of responsivbility on the kids ears, and work like ####...and to their credit, they have done it well.

check out Lancaster Cathoplic from PA.