Raiders complete season with no drum major

As posted by the DCP Newsbot, the Raiders will again finish their season without a drum major. Is this an issue that DCI should consider during next year's rules discussions? I know it doesn't come up very often in drum corps, but I would like to see this not become a trend as it has in marching band.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As posted by the DCP Newsbot, the Raiders will again finish their season without a drum major. Is this an issue that DCI should consider during next year's rules discussions? I know it doesn't come up very often in drum corps, but I would like to see this not become a trend as it has in marching band.

Why not? If the Raiders can complete a season without a drum major, and choose to do so, then more power to them. And I am saying that as a former drum major.

I don't see much of a problem...if the corps can do it, then do it. If it helps another kid at least get the chance to march, more power to them. :)

It's a TREND IN MARCHING BAND??? Really???

Somebody slap me...apparently I'm not seeing the same trend you are.

If Raiders can survive without one, that's there choice. To have a DM or not should not be a rules issue. It should be a corps' call. Although barring unforseen circs, I think NOT having a DM is stupid. But it's a right to make stupid decisions.

What is DCI going to do?

Slap them in the wrist and say "Bad corps!" Corps have every right to not have a drum major if they don't want to. Forcing a corps to have a drum major would be like saying you can't be a division 1 corps unless you march at least 5 bass drums.

Besides, in today's environment of listening situations and use of the Dr. Beat, I bet most corps could perform their shows without a drum major if they wanted to.

They did this last year too AND won the Div. III Title. Don't be surprised if they pull it off again!

Jim Wolf

71-77 NJ Black Watch

Yea, lets slap some corps on the wrist for not having a cymbal line while we are at it!!!

Thought this happened year or two ago with a another Div II/III corps. Think a family emergency came up late in the season and spot was not filled due to respect for the DM.

Edit: Jim Wolf posted while I was typing and answered the question.....

More power to Raiders..............

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari