Raiders complete season with no drum major

EDIT/DELETE DUPLICATE POST>>>but still wanna slap someone around for not having cymbals.

Edited by jonnyboy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As posted by the DCP Newsbot, the Raiders will again finish their season without a drum major. Is this an issue that DCI should consider during next year's rules discussions? I know it doesn't come up very often in drum corps, but I would like to see this not become a trend as it has in marching band.

Not sure what it is you're looking for.. but one of the finest DII/III championship corps I've ever seen (before or since) was in the early 90s.. Mandarins.. They had something like 11 horns and no drum major ALL SEASON.. and they kicked some serious ###. One of the best drum corps I ever saw.

What's the issue with having no drum major? What rule needs to change?

Stef beat me to it.

The Mandarins have had several seasons sans a drum major.

My question is....who accepts the awards or represents the corps at retreat?

My question is....who accepts the awards or represents the corps at retreat?

The year I'm thinking of for Mandarins, it was a member of the guard and a member of the hornline -- probably the guard and horn sargeant. I don't imagine they were leaderless.. just drum majorless.

They did this last year too AND won the Div. III Title. Don't be surprised if they pull it off again!

Jim Wolf

71-77 NJ Black Watch

Oh yeah, I saw that, I was so impressed!!! I thought what concentration they had to have and how much into each other they had to depend on..such bawls...I thought it was kick arse. :wall: I think it shows they have to depend on EACH other in the end, and don't really see a problem with it imo.

Edited by Lancerlady

How do you not have a drum major.

Hmm, being a fan of PR (as indicated in your signature banner), I would have thought you would have known that they have gone DM less for major portions of their show in the past. In 82, they opened without a DM on the podium. He was on the field in front of the drum line, but there was no DM for the horn line or pit for well over the first minute of the show - through multiple tempo changes, and executed flawlessly.

Raiders did it last year too. And Mandarins have done it before as well. It can be done.

What? I thought Phantom Regiment has NEVER had a drum major!!!

....just field conductors :)

Forgive me if this shows my lack of knowledge, but how would things work without a drum major? Who starts the show? How is the corps introduced and acknowledged by the announcer and judges when it is time to start? Its nothing I've ever seen before, so I'm a little curious...