what do they have to do

so i would say that 3 corps have a very legitimate shot at winning on the 12th. im wondering what you all think..

what do these 3 corps need to do extra (meaning besides clean the crap out of it) to their shows to make it a sure win come finals?

neccesary things for

CAVS...ending is much better still needs more punch

DEVS...liked the new ending but same as cavies it needs more punch. i would also like to see some backfield brasswork during the perc stuff at the beginning.

PR......i think they need to make the audience take notice to their switch to baritones in the ballad. and i think they need to add the LEG KICK!

you thoughts...?

Edited by bdkappasig

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to the wire. A photo finish and a tough call.

I'm no expert, but from what I've listened to in the past....Phantom's change from trumpets to baris and back is seamlessly done...or it should be...this is the kind of thing a Visual Effect judge will notice...the "flow" during these moments is unhindered

I'm not sure how else to describe it...but to me the lack of attention visually is precisely what needs to be done

Or not

Cavaliers: ...ending as it stands right now feels tacked on. Better musical intergration into the final sets should be enough to help them hang on for number 7. Right now, I can only remember most of this show for its visual cues, with the music not taking hold yet...if BD and Phantom have any hope, it's going to be on them to over-sell the musical familiarity that Godfather/Ave Maria has to the nth degree.

Blue Devils: ...when I saw them in Charlotte, the show was full of energy...after the first minute. Tweaking the beginning a little to have less random drum and pit meanderings, and more of a build to the big first hit could help. The new ending, while neat, may lose some of its charm by Finals...possibly another, surprise ending on Finals a la 2004 to eek out some more points.

Phantom Regiment: ...this show is a powerhouse, sold on emotion. The key is to get the audience and the folks upstairs swept up in it...and that includes throwing every little old school nod in you can...the crab step, the leg kick and more for Finals week to ramp up the excitement level to "11". Right now, there are minor feet issues that BD and the Cavaliers don't have, so good ol' cleaning is going to help as well. It's an outside possibility, but if they do win...it will be a victory for the ages for the Regiment organization.

Whatever happens on Saturday night, IMO any one of these units could win, and that would be fine with me. :)

It is Cavs to win or lose, IMO.

BD. . .not sure what they could do.

Phantom would need a lot more visual wow (some color would be nice) in their show to have a chance.

PR......i think they need to make the audience take notice to their switch to baritones in the ballad. and i think they need to add the LEG KICK!

you thoughts...?

When you say "leg kick", I'm assuming you mean the kneel-down?

When I hear leg kick, I think of the 3rd position stop, when they bring their foot in. I know that if the show is firing on all cylinders (as it has been), and they do that kick during the wedge towards the end of Resurrection, it is a powerful, powerful, powerful statement.

I remember hearing about the intensity rehearsal for the company front on finals day in '89.

I would love to see this show performed with that kind of authority.

I think I will. :)

When you say "leg kick", I'm assuming you mean the kneel-down?

When I hear leg kick, I think of the 3rd position stop, when they bring their foot in. I know that if the show is firing on all cylinders (as it has been), and they do that kick during the wedge towards the end of Resurrection, it is a powerful, powerful, powerful statement.

I remember hearing about the intensity rehearsal for the company front on finals day in '89.

I remember those stories...Grant used to say that they practiced it so hard that he had bruises on his instep for a month.

If they add that, and the intensity is maxing...wow. It will bring down the house. And if they add the crab or the leg wedge....I know it's old school, but...there could be some structural damage in the stadium.

All these people say Phantom needs to add the leg kick, or the wedge, or the hop.

Why don't they try to invent a new classic Regiment move?

I fail to see how adding similar endings to year's past is going to help them competitively.

All these people say Phantom needs to add the leg kick, or the wedge, or the hop.

Why don't they try to invent a new classic Regiment move?

I fail to see how adding similar endings to year's past is going to help them competitively.

You may be right...it could backfire with some eye rolling upstairs, and looking at it as "going to the well" one too many times.

What would you suggest?