what do they have to do

All these people say Phantom needs to add the leg kick, or the wedge, or the hop.

Why don't they try to invent a new classic Regiment move?

I fail to see how adding similar endings to year's past is going to help them competitively.

Excellent point.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right...it could backfire with some eye rolling upstairs, and looking at it as "going to the well" one too many times.

What would you suggest?

Maybe it's really lame to suggest that they don't do something without suggesting an alternative. If so, lame, I am.

I just don't feel like I'm qualified enough in knowledge of the "Phantom Persona" to decide such a thing.

If there's any year Phantom should put in some classic moves, it's this one. 50th anniversary! The crowd will love it, and if the judges reward it or don't, Phantom's going home with the hearts of the crowd.

But I agree that they might be overusing it a little bit, and I think they should definitely give the crabbing wedge and the leg wedge a bit of a rest. The kick halt is a lot easier to put in wherever, I wouldn't mind seeing that as a trademark flourish year to year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Few things in the drum corps activity would make me happier than to see Regiment win the title. In order to do that, they need to take a more "cavalier" approach to drill writing. :)

edit:

Also, as many others have said, they need to make it evident that the trumpets are switching to baritones. Maybe a Neon sign with a pointing finger that says "OVER HERE!!!" :P

Edited by dciguy01

All these people say Phantom needs to add the leg kick, or the wedge, or the hop.

Why don't they try to invent a new classic Regiment move?

I fail to see how adding similar endings to year's past is going to help them competitively.

New Classic?

Cavaliers need to keep doing what they've been doing. New ending has to be more definitive and more tightly integrated into the show proper.

BD needs to find something in the show that resonates emotionally. The show is clean but very dry to me.

PR needs to work on basics and conditioning as it relates to drill. Might be too late to fix some individual performance issues there, but who knows. Maybe it's just me, but the trumpet to baritone switch doesn't exactly strike me as "wow". More like a snare drummer picking up a set of tenors. Interesting, slightly, but not exactly anything to make you wet the bed. BUT, given the dynamics of where they'll be performing next week, putting in some classic moves from the 80s/90s could certainly move them up a few notches in terms of actual GE earned vis a vis crowd reaction.

Edited by mobrien

Cavaliers need to drum better. Phantom needs to clean and make the story line crystal clear. Devils need to make their show seem more fresh and innovative (hard to do in 10 days).

I think it will be close. Phantom has the easiest road to improvement.

My prediction is Phantom, Cavaliers, Cadets, Devils, Bluecoats. Cadets have rid the show of some of the clutter, and even though I'm not sure what a lot of it means I'm intrigued by it all. Devils strong card is just how well they do what they do. I don't think that will be enough for a medal this year.