An apology to George and The Cadets

FIRST OF ALL...I did NOT write the following that Hop placed on his blog...Just found it interesting that this person felt a need to offer an APOLOGY for DCP, the judges, and fans of DCI.

Isn't it interesting how a couple of points on the score sheets can change things. Last year the Cadets were on top of things at this point and no apology for DCP and fans of DCI appearantly was needed. Hop's own latest blog entry is concerned with how the judging criteria seems to have changed and the Cadets are not being fairly rewarded for the level of difficulty. All of this because of 2 points!

I'm not sure it's even because of 2 points...it's all about the fact that a few other corps are being scored above the Cadets. I have a feeling that if the Cadets were receiving the exact same numbers they are now getting, but Cavies, BD, Phantom, and Bluecoats were BEHIND them the judges would NOT be "taken to task" on his blog. (And today's entry isn't the first time)

Is it obvious to anyone else that it is NOT about the points, it is NOT about the evaluation, it is NOT about fan reaction? It is all about WINNING.

Is it this way with other directors? Maybe it is and I don't see it because they don't put it out there in a blog.

I was just hoping that DCI was more about the experience and less about winning the championship.

from the Hopkins blog 8/3/06

Dear Mr. Hopkins-

I have watched the Cadets' show many times now throughout the season with Monday's being the most recent.  The show is, in a word, fantastic.  I have liked the Cadets since I was a child and I have grown up on the Legacy DVDs, which of course makes me love the Cadets even more.  I wanted to write you this letter because I have felt that I needed to voice my opinion.  I am a member of DCP, which supposedly you are as well.  The forums have been, to put it nicely, harsh on YEA!, the Cadets, and yourself in particular.  I normally try to not get involved since I'll just be ridiculed and be told that I am not a "true fan".  But, it has gotten so bad on those forums that I had to do something.  I have written only positive comments about the Cadets and yourself, but also of the other corps like the Cavaliers and the Blue Devils.  Mr. Hopkins, I wanted to apologize for DCP and the fans of DCI for the past few months.  I know I have been out there cheering and screaming my head off, but it was me and just a few other die-hard Cadet fans.  I am sorry that the corps did not get the crowd they deserved in San Antonio, but I was quite happy to be apart of the crowd in Atlanta and in Ohio to witness a change.  It seems that fans are just starting to pick up on how amazing this show is, but will the judges?  I think there is still some time, but it is running out fast.  I see the Cadets being able to take Bluecoats, without a doubt, and even BD since Regiment and Cavaliers seem to be #1 and #2.  Though this might all fall out the way stated above, I still have hope that the Cadets will make their "end of the season" surge and be able to be Top 2.  The innovation of this show is amazing.  The dedication of the kids in the corps is just superb!  And, I just hope that the kids, staff, and yourself know that the true fans of Drum Corps and the Cadets are totally here for you and your corps.  Good Luck with the upcoming shows.  I'll be in attendance in Allentown...that should be a good one!  Bona fortuna!  THE BEST IS YET TO COME!

Best Regards,

Matt

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FIRST OF ALL...I did NOT write the following that Hop placed on his blog...Just found it interesting that this person felt a need to offer an APOLOGY for DCP, the judges, and fans of DCI.

Isn't it interesting how a couple of points on the score sheets can change things. Last year the Cadets were on top of things at this point and no apology for DCP and fans of DCI appearantly was needed. Hop's own latest blog entry is concerned with how the judging criteria seems to have changed and the Cadets are not being fairly rewarded for the level of difficulty. All of this because of 2 points!

I'm not sure it's even because of 2 points...it's all about the fact that a few other corps are being scored above the Cadets. I have a feeling that if the Cadets were receiving the exact same numbers they are now getting, but Cavies, BD, Phantom, and Bluecoats were BEHIND them the judges would NOT be "taken to task" on his blog. (And today's entry isn't the first time)

Is it obvious to anyone else that it is NOT about the points, it is NOT about the evaluation, it is NOT about fan reaction? It is all about WINNING.

Is it this way with other directors? Maybe it is and I don't see it because they don't put it out there in a blog.

I was just hoping that DCI was more about the experience and less about winning the championship.

I quite honestly have no idea where you get this inference about his statement. He was not apologizing because of scores; he was apologizing about the certain comments made about the 4 characters.

Sycophancy aside, don't apologize for the collective opinion of a group as diverse as DCP when there clearly is no collective opinion. It's a bunch of individuals who think what they think.

Poppycock.

it does seems that Hopkins whines a lot in his blog when they are not winning. Sometimes where there is smoke, there is fire. If more than one or two or three judges say something with their score, maybe it is time to listen to what they have to say and realize that you could be wrong in your subjective assessment of your own show.

Also, just because you are not winning does not make it any less successful of a season. Being a top 5 world class corps is something to be extremely proud of, though I suppose in a relative sense it could be a let down to a corps used to winning.

cheers.

edit: oh, and I really enjoy the cadets' ballad this year.

Edited by justanopinion

Interesting that he thinks the rest of the corps are presenting oranges...while his Cadets are presenting watermelons. <**>

I quite honestly have no idea where you get this inference about his statement. He was not apologizing because of scores; he was apologizing about the certain comments made about the 4 characters.

I belive the comments that you're thinking of were in regards to George Hopkins, not the guy who wrote the apology. Hopkins seems to complain in his blog whenever his corps gets outscored, which is what I think our original poster was referring to. To be fair, I have seen Hopkins also take immense pride in his corps, and the kids who perform the shows, even when those shows weren't winning. As far as his comments regarding scoring, well we all want to see our favorite corps be successful, and I don't expect any different from a corps director. I don't see that as a problem, with the noted exception that he does tend to lay the fault at the feet of the judges, even singling out certain individuals. I do wish that that much would stop.

Edited by Maedhros

Sycophancy aside, don't apologize for the collective opinion of a group as diverse as DCP when there clearly is no collective opinion. It's a bunch of individuals who think what they think.

I think that's something we can all agree on.

I think that's something we can all agree on.

I disagree. ^0^

C'mon, somebody had to...

I disagree. ^0^

C'mon, somebody had to...

Life of Brian:

"You're all individuals!"

"We're all individuals!"

"I'm not!"

We all want to see our corps being as successful as they can, and I don't expect any different from a corps director.

I would expect that he wouldn't make winning (or even scoring) the primary issue for the corps members. Not saying that's what's happened, but if the kids are having a great summer (I can only assume that they are enjoying being Cadets...must be like a dream marching there), then frankly who gives a #### where they place?