On tour...

zachsbugle

Who showered with their horn?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who showered with their horn?

• Did shower with horn
    • Didn't shower with horn

Man, my first summer I left my uniform hangin on the Bus Side Mirrors. One of the older vets caught it, and sentenced me to "Clean the Contra Line". I waited until a free day to do it, but it took a good 2 1/2 hours. The Contra Line was oh so grateful.

Stupid rookie, Gilday. :P

Somehow, I made it three years and only polished someone else's horn once, and that was during "H*ll Week" rather than a form of punisment.

Michael Oldemeyer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showers have a purpose and I don't think they were meant for horns. I can't say how many horns I saw fall over in the shower last year alone. Then you have to pick them up. That's right up there with dropping the soap :rolleyes:

Showers have a purpose and I don't think they were meant for horns. I can't say how many horns I saw fall over in the shower last year alone. Then you have to pick them up. That's right up there with dropping the soap :rolleyes:

i did not see any horns dropped in the shower... i think it would be rather hard to drop a horn...

Showers have a purpose and I don't think they were meant for horns.  I can't say how many horns I saw fall over in the shower last year alone.  Then you have to pick them up.  That's right up there with dropping the soap

i did not see any horns dropped in the shower... i think it would be rather hard to drop a horn...

Yeah, well ... I appreciate the nature of Harry's joke, but if he's serious about seeing horns knocked over in the showers -- what the #### were you doing setting them on their bells in the first place?!?!?

it's pretty much nature to take your horn into the shower. We all took our horns into the shower and washed them, minus the valve's and springs and pads. They were usually left by our shoes which were next to be polished....

I never had to polish any one else's horn, but I did have to polish someone else's shoes a couple of times for mistakes that I did during a show.

Showers have a purpose and I don't think they were meant for horns.  I can't say how many horns I saw fall over in the shower last year alone.  Then you have to pick them up.  That's right up there with dropping the soap

Yeah, well ... I appreciate the nature of Harry's joke, but if he's serious about seeing horns knocked over in the showers -- what the #### were you doing setting them on their bells in the first place?!?!?

I am very serious. I saw prolly 6 horns fall over last year. One of them off of a bench in a locker room. If you are gonna take them in, don't put them on their bells :(

I am very serious. I saw prolly 6 horns fall over last year. One of them off of a bench in a locker room. If you are gonna take them in, don't put them on their bells :(

You should avoid putting your horn on it's bell unless it's a contrabass, and even then it's a good idea to keep a steadying hand on the contra to keep it from tipping.

As to taking your horn in the shower, this is standard practice before a show for myself and those that I have marched with. It's a good way to prep the horn for polishing by rinsing off some of the sweat and dirt from the day's rehearsal.

Still, BE CAREFUL!!!!! :rolleyes:

I am very serious.  I saw prolly 6 horns fall over last year.  One of them off of a bench in a locker room.  If you are gonna take them in, don't put them on their bells :(

You should avoid putting your horn on it's bell unless it's a contrabass, and even then it's a good idea to keep a steadying hand on the contra to keep it from tipping.

Where I come from, setting a horn upright on its bell, even for a second = major pushups.

Not a contra=on its side. That's the only stable way to set them down. And for Pete's sake, don't set them on the slides!

Contra=on its bell, but it should be resting against a solid object so it doesn't tip over.

Even I knew it needed to be against something. I've never seen a contra in the shower though. Those things need their own shower heads and there isn't enough