2006 Phantom

I was there last night and, frankly, I wouldn't have been surprised if Phantom had jumped ahead of Cavies. Cavies were much more impressive at the Meadowlands... they clearly seemed off to me compared to the night before. I completely agree that Phantom's guard had a bad night... okay, it was horrendous, but that seems to be reflected fairly in the recaps. However, for me, Phantom was by far the highlight of the night. Although I haven't yet seen Blue Devils, I won't be surprised (or disappointed) if Phantom takes it all this year. When I first saw this show in June I wasn’t particularly impressed, but last night I was completely blown away and from where I was sitting, it connected best with the crowd. Interestingly, I sat next to a woman who was attending her first drum corps show. She had no clue how the scoring system works, etc. and Phantom was by far her favorite of the night… she was in awe. Clearly, this is an "unqualified" opinion (in terms of understanding the scoring system, etc.), but it certainly says something for Phantom that the darkest and most serious show on the field was able to deeply connect with someone who had never before seen a drum corps performance. Congratulations Phantom on a great show… and to the other corps too.. it was a great night of drum corps.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I wouldn't compare Phantom to drying paint, I do see a creativity gap bet. the two corps with the Cavaliers winning that race. I dunno, perhaps it's my bias that causes me to love the Cavaliers, and dislike everything else. :whistle: I wouldn't buy it for a second if PR pulled off the win.

That was sarcasm, so don't even reply people.

No offense here but I must have missed the section on the score sheet that says Creativity points go here!!!

Edited by Phantombari1

I realize that I will certainly be ripped and ridiculed for expressing my opinion, and that's fine. These days, opinions must fit within the guidelines of certain individuals that frequent this forum to be given consideration.

Don't be silly. Freedom of expression doesn't mean freedom from criticism. Your caveat basically amounts to a preemptive flaming of your own, to anyone who has an opinion that differs from yours. (Or, more correctly, the way you're expressing it.) You're just dressing it up in "poor me" martyrdom.

edit: removed "ignored" link-- a little "over the top" of me as well... (also un-ignored dans--must've been cranky this morning)

Edited by year1buick

No offense here but I must have missed the section on the score sheet that says Creativity points go here!!!

cute

I guess what they need to get dans excited is the devil running around a door....and for the snares to throw sticks at him!! :whistle:

Edited by LaSqueegee

I'd love to see that happen, but I'd hardly think that BD is just going let 2nd slip away from them... heck, they still have a perfectly good chance at 1st! Once tonight's scores come out, we'll have a better idea, but it will still be completely up in the air until Quarters as far as 1-3 goes.

What a season.

I don't think its a matter of BD letting 2nd slip away, but more of a matter of Regiment being that good. BD was excellent out of the gate, and Regiment struggled with major show changes. I think Regiment has finally caught BD, and the fight for second will be a good one.

As for the spread between Cavis and Regiment, I think once you get this high into the 90's, one point is quite a large margin. I think you might be over exagerating just a touch. Cavis are that much better right now, although, I can see Regiment beating them in horns and drums. I don't think PR can touch Cavis in GE unless they clean like crazy this last week.

I think your post is a little over the top, but I do agree, mostly.

from what I saw in Atlanta, Phantom Regiment is nowhere near The Cavaliers in terms of design or execution. It is a strong show, that will likely get 2nd or 3rd, but a point behind The Cavaliers is to little of a spread.

~>conner

I think your post is a little over the top, but I do agree, mostly.

from what I saw in Atlanta, Phantom Regiment is nowhere near The Cavaliers in terms of design or execution. It is a strong show, that will likely get 2nd or 3rd, but a point behind The Cavaliers is to little of a spread.

~>conner

I apologize if my post was over the top, I get way into this stuff. I have followed this activity my entire life , it's such a part of me. Thank you for thinking about what I said and not jumping to your own conclusions about my motivation for the post.

Er...Faust is no more of a "rehash" than any other show this year. I don't see anyone bagging on Cadets for rehashin' "White Rabbit" again after 30 years, or the Cavaliers for rehashin' the "Robot" from the dope 80's movie " Breakin' " :P

Sad to say, drum corps still provides a variety of differing show styles for a variety of people. That's part of its draw.

Learn not to martyr yourself and fall down on your sword when you post an opinion. :)

Edited by bawker

I realize that I will certainly be ripped and ridiculed for expressing my opinion, and that's fine. These days, opinions must fit within the guidelines of certain individuals that frequent this forum to be given consideration. Last evening, by some mis-alignment of the planets, the Phantom Regiment came within 1 point of the Cavaliers? Quite honestly the creativity, innovation and visual eye candy the Cavaliers offer is on a different level to Phantoms tired, re-hashed and boring Fuast presentation. For god sakes there were guard members in Phantom literally tripping over their flags last evening, not to mention equipment drops at key moments. I will say their hornline can play loud, but I heard several nasty, crass sounds coming from them last night. As far as a percussion section goes, I seem to remember hearing one a few times. They are supposed to have this great persussion section, if so, why don't they use them? Percussion has a secondary role in their 2006 presentaion, makes you wonder at the scores they get. 2006 Phantom just flat out lacks creativity, innovation and entertainment value for this long time drum corps fan, and is quite frankly like watching paint dry. Might have been a good show 10 years ago though. If by some bizarre occurance Phantom wins this year, I for one will be left scratching my head. Oh well, flame away, ready set go!

I won't slam the Cavies - they are the top when it comes to visual and musical intergration. But, this activity is also a music activity, and IMO Phantom is musically superior to Cavies this year - maybe not in terms of execution, but in terms of design. Phantom's show is more entertaining (I was wrong about the arrangements, listening to it a lot), more difficult, and just much more exciting IMO (that goes with entertaining I guess).

Personally, I am pulling for Phantom in Madison. I think this activity awards too much credit on the visual, and not enough on the musical.

I like the Cavies visually, but to me, the music isn't stand alone. After 1997, I never listen to any Cavies shows. I listen to every year of Phantom, regularly, except '98 and '99.