Cadets 2006

2007 - please revisit Appalachian Spring from 1987. A by-the-book musical arrangement - but bring back the over the top visuals - just fully-realize them this time.

I'd rather they not circle the wagons and abandon the cutting edge. While I agree that some of what they envision is just not coming across as well as it might, I'd rather see them continue to forge ahead...with the experience gained to help that effort after this year.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a completely different post...

As I often see a thread popping up around here about repetoire suggestions...I figured I might as well give a suggestion to the Cadets' future musical selections since so many people just want good old fashioned Cadets from 2000 back(although I include 2003 & 2001 in that.)

This year in my wind symphony we played the 4th movement of a piece by James Barnes simply called "Third Symphony". Our director read us info about the piece: (This isn't word for word, I remember the general ideas of the piece, but as to James Barnes' exact thoughts and words on the piece this is as close as I'll try to make it.)

- Third Symphony is a work composed by composer James Barnes. When he was asked to write a piece for someone, they had requested that it be about anything that Mr. Barnes wished it to be about. Also occuring during this time...his baby daughter Natalie who was recently born, had passed away. Third Symphony, simply put, is all the emotions he went through during this tragic and saddening time of losing his baby daughter. He defines it as the most emotional work he's ever written.

The First Movement encompasses all the anger, sadness, and mourning Barnes felt after losing his dear baby daughter, Natalie. It is a dark work, beginning with a great and rarely seen Tuba cadenza with a timpani occasionally stepping in the background. This obviously is reflecting his sudden loss of his baby daughter.

The Second Movement is his personal reflection of "hatred" toward certain people in the world. Since his loss, he has done much thinking about how the world works.

The Third Movement , simply titled (III. for Natalie) is an amazingly beautiful lovesong written as though the world still worked with his baby daughter alive in it.

The Fourth Movement(the movement I played) is his letting go of the past and looking toward a bright and joyful future. He is also expecting a new child. It is much different than the rest of the Symphony; very upbeat and fun(especially fun to play: one #### of a horn part, I was jealous) There is a "sunday school hymn" brought into play signifying Barnes' rememberence of Natalie called "I am Jesus Little Lamb" and the song makes several appearences during this 7 minute movement.

Three days after completion of the Third Symphony, baby Billy was welcomed into the world. -

Oh yeah, the music isn't half bad either.

I've thought about who would be fitting to play this, and I narrowed it down to the Blue Knights, Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, and the Cadets of Bergen County.

I feel the Cadets and Phantom have the best chance of making the best of a possible show(although depicting a dying baby daughter might be "over the top" or just plain "cheezy").

Just kinda throwing this idea out there since no one is listening.

Oh yeah, the symphony itself is around 40 minutes long...as to shortening it to 11.5 is up to the corps.

Wow. My eyes started to well up as soon as I read the words "James Barnes' Third Symphony." I played the fourth movement as well a few years ago, and the entire symphony is one of my favorite works for wind band. Knowing the story, it's an incredibly emotional piece to listen to (especially the third movement, which is just beautiful, and the first). Unfortunately, this piece is on the list of works that isn't allowed to be arranged for use in the marching arts...otherwise any corps (but there would be no better fit, in my opinion, than Santa Clara) woud bring the audience to tears.

I'd rather they not circle the wagons and abandon the cutting edge. While I agree that some of what they envision is just not coming across as well as it might, I'd rather see them continue to forge ahead...with the experience gained to help that effort after this year.

Why? It seems apparent a large number of fans and members enjoy the "old and busted" portion of drum corps you want to abandon, so if the activity is about fans and members, why not do the Appalachian Spring show?

What is TOB?

Tournament of Bands...a circuit with members in PA, NJ, MD, DE, VA, WV and Ohio.

and again, i have seen better prop design in TOB

:P

Why? It seems apparent a large number of fans and members enjoy the "old and busted" portion of drum corps you want to abandon, so if the activity is about fans and members, why not do the Appalachian Spring show?

Why not? There are plenty of fans and members that like the Cadets 05 and 06 shows just fine.

I (and others I know) don't like Faust, does that mean that Phantom shouldn't continue in a similar direction next year?

In a completely different post...

As I often see a thread popping up around here about repetoire suggestions...I figured I might as well give a suggestion to the Cadets' future musical selections since so many people just want good old fashioned Cadets from 2000 back(although I include 2003 & 2001 in that.)

This year in my wind symphony we played the 4th movement of a piece by James Barnes simply called "Third Symphony". Our director read us info about the piece: (This isn't word for word, I remember the general ideas of the piece, but as to James Barnes' exact thoughts and words on the piece this is as close as I'll try to make it.)

- Third Symphony is a work composed by composer James Barnes. When he was asked to write a piece for someone, they had requested that it be about anything that Mr. Barnes wished it to be about. Also occuring during this time...his baby daughter Natalie who was recently born, had passed away. Third Symphony, simply put, is all the emotions he went through during this tragic and saddening time of losing his baby daughter. He defines it as the most emotional work he's ever written.

The First Movement encompasses all the anger, sadness, and mourning Barnes felt after losing his dear baby daughter, Natalie. It is a dark work, beginning with a great and rarely seen Tuba cadenza with a timpani occasionally stepping in the background. This obviously is reflecting his sudden loss of his baby daughter.

The Second Movement is his personal reflection of "hatred" toward certain people in the world. Since his loss, he has done much thinking about how the world works.

The Third Movement , simply titled (III. for Natalie) is an amazingly beautiful lovesong written as though the world still worked with his baby daughter alive in it.

The Fourth Movement(the movement I played) is his letting go of the past and looking toward a bright and joyful future. He is also expecting a new child. It is much different than the rest of the Symphony; very upbeat and fun(especially fun to play: one #### of a horn part, I was jealous) There is a "sunday school hymn" brought into play signifying Barnes' rememberence of Natalie called "I am Jesus Little Lamb" and the song makes several appearences during this 7 minute movement.

Three days after completion of the Third Symphony, baby Billy was welcomed into the world. -

Oh yeah, the music isn't half bad either.

I've thought about who would be fitting to play this, and I narrowed it down to the Blue Knights, Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, and the Cadets of Bergen County.

I feel the Cadets and Phantom have the best chance of making the best of a possible show(although depicting a dying baby daughter might be "over the top" or just plain "cheezy").

Just kinda throwing this idea out there since no one is listening.

Oh yeah, the symphony itself is around 40 minutes long...as to shortening it to 11.5 is up to the corps.

Thanks a lot...You got me all teary eyed..(not joking) :(

George,

I bow to you and your ability to say what you really think about the show. I respect that you are able to criticize something that I know you love. We could all learn a lesson from your example.

I don't want any 'one way' to create drum corps shows. As has been reported may times lately, the Cadets are getting very good crowd response...I heard it at Giant's Stadium, and others have posted about Atlanta and DCI East. Just because a relatively few here on DCP complain about their show in no way is indicative of the general audience.

Where did I say 'old and busted', as you appear to be quoting me?