Ack, I CANNOT get the Cavaliers' music out of my head!

the music is really well performed - but honestly the "effect" of the show (for me) is about 80 percent visual - I could never listen the music stand-alone

that's not a bad thing - just my view on it...

I would have to agree. I've seen the show several times now and all I remeber is the visual part of it. I'm sure the music is great and all but, I can't say that it is catchy for me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you don't think BD ISN'T repetitive?

Give me a break. If I see anymore cross formations in BDs show...and what does the cross have to do with the Godfather? What does a ficticious mafia family who ran prostitution and gambling rackets have to do with the image of Christ? Somebody explain that?

The Cavaliers, by far have more individual demand than BD.

This is the worst call I have read on here this entire summer.

Without a 20-paragraph analysis of the two shows, I would state the reason the Blue Devils show is so seamless is due to the fact that is much easier to perform IMHO. This isn't a matter of personal tastes or biases, that is reality. BDs visual package has nothing on the Cavaliers, and the 2 corps have been trading 1st and 2nd bet. the brass and musical packages. I don't care if you worship BD and hate the Cavaliers, but making statements like that is rediculous.

And please explain to me how BD is ever up on the visual scoring?

Sure their music may repeat the main theme about three times in the show, but it is the main theme. It's the one that people can relate to and are able to hum. People, however, can also relate to the Cavies. We can all draw draw squares of different sizes. I think that's what has been the trend for the Cavies year after year. BOXES+ REPETITION+ YEAR AFTER YEAR= BORING= BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. I think the Cavies are masters of variation with a twist as far as show design. They are crowd pleasing with their OOhs and AAhs drill moves, but everything else around that is... blah. Sure execution is there once they clean, but it's the same thing every year. Their shows are getting harder every year... better yet, they aren't as easy as they used to be. I'll give them that much.

I am sorry to break it to ya', but the world doesn't revolve around the Cavies and their alumni. People that have been in the event for some time tend to think outside the box (no pun intended).

Ack, I cannot get the trumpet sound off my face. Went to the Naperville show. Can't believe the Cavaliers won horns...let alone by .3

If you want a definition of "crass"...that was it. I hope that it was a fluke and a bad show. I could barely hear the low brass on the loud sustained chords...and when I could all I could hear were the obnoxious sounds coming from the high brass.

Besides the loud chords, it was fine.

Sure their music may repeat the main theme about three times in the show, but it is the main theme. It's the one that people can relate to and are able to hum. People, however, can also relate to the Cavies. We can all draw draw squares of different sizes. I think that's what has been the trend for the Cavies year after year. BOXES+ REPETITION+ YEAR AFTER YEAR= BORING= BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. I think the Cavies are masters of variation with a twist as far as show design. They are crowd pleasing with their OOhs and AAhs drill moves, but everything else around that is... blah. Sure execution is there once they clean, but it's the same thing every year. Their shows are getting harder every year... better yet, they aren't as easy as they used to be. I'll give them that much.

I am sorry to break it to ya', but the world doesn't revolve around the Cavies and their alumni. People that have been in the event for some time tend to think outside the box (no pun intended).

The world hardly revolves around the Cavaliers, I agree, and that's not what I was implying.

My point was that the Cavaliers show is more demanding and difficult regardless of volume, emotional impact, or one's personal tastes.

And since the Cavaliers are "BOXES+ REPETITION+ YEAR AFTER YEAR= BORING= BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. " what in the heck has BD done the past 30 years, visually? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Oh, I'm sorry, they're pushing the envelope. I'm out of touch! Look, a gun!!!

Name me one signature drill move BD has performed since 1970 that people talk about? I've seen every show from 75-06, and I'm scratching my head.

Again, I don't care if the Cavaliers bore you, or Machine ain't your cup of tea, but I will stress again that their demand far surpasses BDs. Enjoy your hot dog eating expierence during their show. Hopfully, that will be more entertaining for you.

Edited by siuehist

Boring?

Didn't even make the list of adjectives I'd use to describe Cavaliers.

Not even close...

Yeah, you're right. This show is amazing, especailly their two cool/standout moments (magnetic box and the scratched-disk trumpet feature). I just wish they would do drill that didn't revolve around boxes all the time.

"I will stress again that their demand far surpasses BDs."

Demand? Music, drill, larger than 8 to 5 stride? What exactly are you talking about? Whatever it is that you are arguing, how do you know for sure. Have you marched both Cavies' and BDs' shows this year to compare the two? If you have, by all means, enlighten us. If not, how can you boldy make such a statement? I'm sure you have your preference, but it is your claim that Cavies' show is more demanding (whatever that means) which makes your statements and argument questionable.

You call that emotional? I can't take your insult seriously unless I cry...it just isn't complete.

Oh Lord.

The Cavaliers' ballad this year is one of the most emotional pieces of music performed in DCI this season.

Edited by Hrothgar15