Ack, I CANNOT get the Cavaliers' music out of my head!

Me too. If every corps played Cavalier music, well then that would just be no fun. But what would also be no fun is if there was a person sitting behind me blowing their nose crying out "The music is just so ... EMOTIONAL ..." at the classical music corps and "Oh those nasty robots! Who do those kids think they are with their Dan Fogelberg, hula hoops, Zima and their Pacman video games. Let's get these kids a fresh serving of old fashioned EMOTION," to the Cavaliers.

To each their own, but I prefer the truly artistic and emotional music in the concert hall. I figure that if you have an ensemble made up of loads of brass players and drummers in motion on turf that is meant to be stepped on by athletes, it would be more fitting to lay down something a bit more breakneck and groovacious.

And with all due respect, there are definitely shows where it is nothing but appropriate to attempt an "emotional" feel. But as far as I'm concerned, a show about robots and machines really doesn't call for that sort of music. In fact it kind of wouldn't make sense... unless the robots eventually learn human emotion and dare I say...love?

I think you're probably not using the word emotion correctly. The Cavaliers' music IS emotional. ALL music is emotional. Well, if played well. I supposed some music played like crap isn't very emotional. I digress.... The question is what kinds of emotions do The Cavaliers or the Blue Devils evoke vs, who ever else you say makes people want to cry.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I will stress again that their demand far surpasses BDs."

Demand? Music, drill, larger than 8 to 5 stride? What exactly are you talking about? Whatever it is that you are arguing, how do you know for sure. Have you marched both Cavies' and BDs' shows this year to compare the two? If you have, by all means, enlighten us. If not, how can you boldy make such a statement? I'm sure you have your preference, but it is your claim that Cavies' show is more demanding (whatever that means) which makes your statements and argument questionable.

You must not have seen both shows together this year. How do I know for sure? I saw the two in Indianapolis. Night and day!

I was told the Cavaliers have 240 sets in their show. When I marched in 95 we had 128. I know by watching, BD doesn't have 240 individual dots per horn player. The Cavaliers have an influx of body movements, and little nuances much moreso than BD.....etc, etc, etc. And while their horn book might not have the impact or the punch that BD has, it is no slouch either. Thus I am at the conclusion that the Cavaliers have much more demand than BD this year.

You also failed to answer my question regarding 30 yrs. of BD drill.

Edited by siuehist

i didnt really like it when i first heard it.. it hasnt changed honestly.

but im excited to see it on the big screen later this week, im sure the music will fit the visual package as always.

I'm amazed out how we all show our corps affiliation bias. Cire, you seem to always love everything Blue Devils. While, I tend to enjoy the Cavaliers much more... I just could't help but notice the "underhanded" complement.

I'm gonna try to not flame here...

Honestly, I just see the complete packages on the field. I really think this is one of the Cavaliers best designs.

I think you're probably not using the word emotion correctly. The Cavaliers' music IS emotional. ALL music is emotional. Well, if played well. I supposed some music played like crap isn't very emotional. I digress.... The question is what kinds of emotions do The Cavaliers or the Blue Devils evoke vs, who ever else you say makes people want to cry.

Somebody in here gets it.

Edited by mynameisohyeah

You must not have seen both shows together this year. Don't patronize me with your little questions. How do I know for sure? I saw the two back-to-back in Indianapolis. Night and day!

I was told the Cavaliers have 240 sets in their show. When I marched in 95 we had 128. I know by watching, BD doesn't have 240 individual dots per horn player. The Cavaliers have an influx of body movements, moreso than BD.....etc, etc, etc, And while their horn book might not have the impact or the punch that BD has, it is no slouch, either. Thus I am at the conclusion that the Cavaliers have much more demand than BD this year.

You also failed to answer my question regarding 30 yrs. of BD drill.

You know, sometimes it's not all about who has more dots. I know high school bands that have done more dots than that. Body movements? You mean "turn and face the guy next to you and follow him. Now, turn around and follow that guy" or do you mean "let's stop playing and marching, do some choreography, and rest for a minute"? No top 12 corps ( or any for that matter) is considered to have "slouchy" horn book. I know the demands of a marching and playing. As for signature moves, well, I have to admit that I am not a BD historian to answer your question, but I'm sure that this would be a great argument with someone who does know everything about BD as you know about the Cavies. Ask them, not me. I can say, however, signature moves are considered to be that of historical pride and "jump on you feet" moment for that corps' fans. That's what I consider a signature move.

Sure their music may repeat the main theme about three times in the show, but it is the main theme. It's the one that people can relate to and are able to hum. People, however, can also relate to the Cavies. We can all draw draw squares of different sizes. I think that's what has been the trend for the Cavies year after year. BOXES+ REPETITION+ YEAR AFTER YEAR= BORING= BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. I think the Cavies are masters of variation with a twist as far as show design. They are crowd pleasing with their OOhs and AAhs drill moves, but everything else around that is... blah. Sure execution is there once they clean, but it's the same thing every year. Their shows are getting harder every year... better yet, they aren't as easy as they used to be. I'll give them that much.

To address what you were saying about The Cavaliers’ boring and repetitive drill. You must be right. I don’t think I’ve seen too many innovative guns, hearts, or crosses in their show. That would be truly exciting and innovative in 2006. Nor have I seen ANY crosses that float across the field and morph into knives stabbing hearts. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen script Ohio in their drill this year either. Well, at least not yet... Maybe they’re going to pull that out for Saturday! The present Cavaliers do not do things as innovative as the above mentioned. Instead, they seemed to be forced to march an 8-5 block down the field, over and over. Yes, it is soooo boring and repetitive to kick behind and hall tail through the whole show! ( in one form or another)

The Cavaliers make great use of various geometric forms, including blocks. They also make great use of other linear and curvilinear forms. You'll have to check out the show in the theatre as there are many innovative examples this year. There’s even a cool little swirly thing too. Oh and they have innovative blobs that move members around too. You know - things they haven’t done before. How can you not see that? Also, EVERY corps uses blocks throughout much of their show. They’re kind of building blocks, hehe…

You know, The Cadets were the visual innovators of the 80's, and did a lot of cool stuff in the 90's. I haven't really seen anything from them really pushing the envelope in drill for like 10 years. I'm sure that people were also complaining about their innovative ameba drill because they were jealous. I was always proud that we (The Cavaliers) were the innovators of drill on the geometric shapes and doing cool things with line segments front. I always thought of the Cadets as the innovators on the organic shaped forms front. I thought it was cool and gave each corps a unique identity. Now the Cadets do much more block drill than they used to, so I’m just glad that one corps has improved on their identity. What about the waterfall thing they did in 2000 and have repeated several times?

As far as the “alumni” comment…. We don’t think we’re the center of the universe. As a matter of fact, I do my best to stay “low key” in here. Do you, as a “Cadet” alumnus, think your corps is the center of the world? One final thing, my ~128 sets of Cavalier drill in 1990 was the most difficult drill I’ve ever marched. I don’t think there was an 8-5 step size in there. If they’re up to 240 sets, you can bet that it is NOT easy drill… :P

What high school has more than 240 sets? Please tell me. I think you're fibbing there...

Edited by jjeffeory

You know, sometimes it's not all about who has more dots. I know high school bands that have done more dots than that. Body movements? You mean "turn and face the guy next to you and follow him. Now, turn around and follow that guy" or do you mean "let's stop playing and marching, do some choreography, and rest for a minute"? No top 12 corps ( or any for that matter) is considered to have "slouchy" horn book. I know the demands of a marching and playing. As for signature moves, well, I have to admit that I am not a BD historian to answer your question, but I'm sure that this would be a great argument with someone who does know everything about BD as you know about the Cavies. Ask them, not me. I can say, however, signature moves are considered to be that of historical pride and "jump on you feet" moment for that corps' fans. That's what I consider a signature move.

Dots don't always matter? I suppose running 10 miles is easier than running five? You make no sense. You have not explained how BDs show is more demanding.

"Now, turn around and follow that guy" or do you mean "let's stop playing and marching, do some choreography, and rest for a minute"?"

Where does that happen? And since you know high schools with more than 240 sets, I guess that really makes BD look bad. Good job defeating your own argument. And since you marched Cadets last year, you shouldn't critique other corps' in that regard. I won't even go there.

The Cavaliers have more demand than BD. If anybody wishes to refute that with any intelligent input, I'd be glad to hear you. dcvbdc58 couldn't do it.

Edited by siuehist

I see by your name who you are rooting for this Saturday. I respect everyone’s opinions. When I marched, a while ago… There were people who would jeer Phantom by singing, “I march with Phantom ‘cause I like straight lines” (Say that while singing the main theme to 1812 Overture). There were some other variations on that too…

To address what you were saying about The Cavaliers’ boring and repetitive drill. You must be right. I don’t think I’ve seen too many innovative guns, hearts, or crosses. Nor have I seen ANY crosses that float across the field and morph into knives stabbing hearts. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen script Ohio in their drill this year either. Well, at least not yet... Maybe they’re going to pull that out for Saturday! The present Cavaliers do not do things as innovative as the above mentioned. Instead, they seemed to be forced to march an 8-5 block down the field, over and over. Yes, it is soooo boring and repetitive to kick behind and hall tail through the whole show!

The Cavaliers make great use of various geometric forms, including blocks. They also make great use of other linear and curvilinear forms. You'll have to check out the show in the theatre as there are many innovative examples this year. There’s even a cool little swirly thing too. Oh and they have innovative blobs that move members around too. You know - things they haven’t done before. How can you not see that? Also, EVERY corps uses blocks throughout much of their show.

Tell us the truth… You’re just afraid that The Cavaliers are going to beat Blue Devils again, aren’t you? Why else would you bash? :P

:P

By all means, give them another ring. That's all they crave for after all. In fact, I can almost guarantee you that they will win. Afraid? Nope, I am rooting for them because I too love their show. Yes, even more than BDs' show. It's untouchable. What I'm saying is that I am starting to see a pattern in their show year after year. They have a few cool drill moves that's it. Everything else is filled with... well, fillers such as BOXES. Visually, it works great. Even judges can't resist but to like seeing a line turn into a box. Yes, it's true hardly anything is original, but it seems like the Cavies have a template-like format that they use every year. It works, yes, but it's still not original. We don't get the big theme change that we get from BD and other corps. I feel like the Cavies just play it safe and don't do something unexpected or more out there. They continue to bring us clean shows, but feel like they are afraid to take a step in a different direction because they can't stand losing.

By all means, give them another ring. That's all they crave for after all. In fact, I can almost guarantee you that they will win. Afraid? Nope, I am rooting for them because I too love their show. Yes, even more than BDs' show. It's untouchable. What I'm saying is that I am starting to see a pattern in their show year after year. They have a few cool drill moves that's it. Everything else is filled with... well, fillers such as BOXES. Visually, it works great. Even judges can't resist but to like seeing a line turn into a box. Yes, it's true hardly anything is original, but it seems like the Cavies have a template-like format that they use every year. It works, yes, but it's still not original. We don't get the big theme change that we get from BD and other corps. I feel like the Cavies just play it safe and don't do something unexpected or more out there. They continue to bring us clean shows, but feel like they are afraid to take a step in a different direction because they can't stand losing.

You're not an expert on the Cavaliers, either. Regardless of my rough edges, the Cavaliers aren't about winning, nor has it been the case the past 58 years. Nor will I throw a fit if they get 2nd. I don't care. i only get vocal when people make stupid statements against them. Sorry they've had a successful run as of late. You sound like a little kid crying at the supermarket because mommy passed the ice cream up.

What should the Cavaliers do next year to freshen up their boring and sad image? Hire a sound crew? Invert the back of their uniforms? How about a female vocalist? Dvorak? West Side Story? Spanish Fantasy? Maleguena? Help me out.

Wait! I know! Next year is the tenth anv. of the Firebird. Will that work?

Edited by siuehist

Dots don't always matter? I suppose running 10 miles is easier than running five? You make no sense. You have not explained how BDs show is more demanding.

"Now, turn around and follow that guy" or do you mean "let's stop playing and marching, do some choreography, and rest for a minute"?"

Where does that happen? And since you know high schools with more than 240 sets, I guess that really makes BD look bad. Good job defeating your own argument. And since you marched Cadets last year, you shouldn't critique other corps' in that regard. I won't even go there.

The Cavaliers have more demand than BD. If anybody wishes to refute that with any intelligent input, I'd be glad to hear you. dcvbdc58 couldn't do it.

Blah, blah, blah. I still don't see you make a good argument with any "intelligent input". When did I ever say that BD has a more demanding show? I was just stating that you can't prove that the Cavies have a more demanding show than BD. YOU JUST CAN'T PROVE IT. Yes, I marched Cadets last year and proud of it. What does that have anything to do with it? How does that prove anything regarding your absurd argument. Oh, did I just happen to offend you? I'm sorry. I forgot Cavies arent'supposed to be offended. Oh, and since when is the distance between two dots have the same distance. I can have 1,000 dots one step away from each other. I can also have 250 dots 4 steps away from each other. Same distance, different number of dots. You know, arguments like these would never be expected from BD, PR, Cadets, Blue, SCV, Crown, BC, BK, Scouts, Glassmen, Spirit, you name it. I won't go into throwing flame into the fire eventhough I would like to. I'd rather keep my dignity and show class than to try to insult you intentionally. It's been nice not knowing you. Way to taint a great corps' name. Have a great day! b**bs