Ack, I CANNOT get the Cavaliers' music out of my head!

I'm serious. Out of every show this year, the Cavaliers' musical selections are the catchiest and most memorable. This is coming from someone who used to think Richard Saucedo had absolutely no talent, and that it was a shame that a corps with such great visual programs was performing such terrible music.

It turns out, though, that I was approaching Saucedo's music with the wrong mindset; yes, it's different from any other corps' music, but once you understand it, it's amazing. This year is no exception. Combine it with a visual program leaps and bounds above everyone else and you have a winner. I called it at the beginning of the season, and I never waivered: this is one of the greatest Cavies seasons ever.

So to all of you who think the Cavaliers' music is worthless, as I once did...I understand that's a perfectly valid opinion, but you may want to give the music another shot.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I CANNOT get the Cavaliers' music out of my head!

Welcome to the club. Punch is being served in the back, though I'm afraid you'll have to settle for the bowl set aside for those under 21. :)

Good stuff...

It ='s not bad-- and it fits the visual package. Listening to the music as a stand alone thing-- I couldn't do, though. Along with the visuals the show is excellent. So don't take that badly, Cavaies fans.

I'm a loyal Cavalier former marching member, but there was a time a few years ago when I was very frustrated with the Cavaliers' music. I am not a sophisticated musician - just an old drum corps drummer (NOT a percussionist!). So, all their music sounded like a bunch of Yanni c r a p to me.

But, when I loyally bought the CD and/or DVD one year (2000 or 2001, I think) and started listening to it several times, I absolutely fell in love with the music.

This year, when I toured with them as a driver/food crew early season, I again started the summer worried that the music might be an unrecognizable, mish mash of unresolved, Yanni-like segments. I even felt nervous after watching their first couple run-throughs and a show or two.

Then, I had the chance to stand on the track and simply listen to their encore (standstill) performance - with no drill to "distract" me from the music.

That's when I once again realized how great the music was/is. Now I too can't get it out of my head. I find myself telling my friends (irritatingly during shows!) "Get ready for this part in the music." Or, "Listen to the mellophones here!", etc. They keep saying "But wait, look at the guard work there." Or, "Wow, they're passing bodies over the hornline!" I keep directing their attention to the music and then they start to groove with it more than the drill.

I used to think the Cavaliers' shows weren't listening to without being able to see it too. Now I can enjoy it without sound, or without drill - but preferably with both.

Edited by Paul Milano

Ordinarilly I would agree, George, but I think this year is different. I really love the ballad!