Are you tired of threads about how much worse drum corps is today than

Are you tired of threads about how much worse drum corps is today than in the past?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you tired of threads about how much worse drum corps is today than in the past?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't really care either way

A little touchy, aren't we?

Last I checked, out of the last 3 pages of topics, maybe 2 threads had comments that could be considered complaints. -- That's a pretty small percentage.

If you don't like reading those type of threads, don't read them! Sheesh.

Its not the threads themselves that turn me off, but moreso some of the attitudes presented there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this question. If I made a thread that ripped on drum corps of decades past, do you think I would get taken seriously as one trying to bring up some good points, or would I get flamed for trolling?

What would the reation be to a "older drum corps shows are too simple and pedestrian" thread? What kind of responses would I get if I said "older uniforms look frumpy and amature"?

You'd need to make sure you spelled "amateur" correctly..

and then your thread would get shut down for trolling.

I'm one of those rare birds that has always respected and appreciated the past of our activity.. but the fact is, had drum corps been what it was 50 years ago in 1984 when I was introduced to it.. I would have passed it right on by. There were plenty of other things to do (even then) and knowing how I responded to that stuff when I first heard it (and thinking back on it, I actually was exposed to "old time" drum corps first, through my Grandmother who lived a few blocks from where the Muchachos sometimes rehearsed.. ), I'm certain I wouldn't have become involved.

I respect and will defend the right of some of the people on this site to be misguided and inaccurate in their assessment of the youth of today and how well they would take to what they loved when they marched.. but I don't have to (and won't) fall in line with it.

Times change. Attitudes and mindsets change.

IMO if DCI hadn't come about, drum corps would have gone completely extinct right about 1990.. and yes, that includes DCA. I noted when I first started going to DCA "They're doing on the field what DCI was doing when I started".. and had DCI never come to be.. DCA's membership would have died out by now with no one to replace them as they got too old to march.

JMHO -- take it for what you think it's worth.

There sure do seem to be a lot of threads that are ripping on drum corps of today. It seems like every time I check DCP there is a new thread about how much better things were before: DCI, amps, Bb horns, the "build-up" judging system, "cookie cutter uniforms", esoteric shows, lack of tradition, etc...

Are you tired of all the whining about today's drum corps?

Yes. Almost nothing of value comes out of the whining and complaining.

This is a public forum. There is such a thing called "Freedom of Speech." People have a right to talk about what they do and don't like, including drum corps. Some of these people posting on DCP have very legitimate opinions and/or complaints regarding the new direction the activity has taken. Some are good valid opinions or complaints, some are not. Writing as compassionately about the activity as some have done shows us they still care. There are times when I also believe certain people within the activity are pushing the extreme when it comes to new and innovative ways to "improve" things. I guess, in time, trial and error will prove whether or not they were right in the beliefs. In the mean time, let's all try to get through the current "transition" period the activity is following. Unless they add woodwinds, things can't get any worse!

Voted I don't really care either way.

I'm with you... I don't have enough time or energy to worry what about who likes what or who.... (well except Matt (Maedhros) I'm gonna sell him on the Bridgemen if its the last thing I do!! :P (just kidding Matt!)

Are you tired of people complaining about the corps of today, or certain things that those corps are doing? I love drum corps and have boundless respect for those who take the field. That doesn't mean I have to like everything they do, or what DCI does for that matter. I appreciate being able to talk about the things I like *and* the things I dislike in this forum.

In the mean time, let's all try to get through the current "transition" period the activity is following.

IMO, like a lot of things, especially a lot of other art forms and media, drum corps is always in transition and always has been.

I don't like everything about drum corps these days, but to quote Wilde, "Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex and vital."

I think sometimes you have to understand the "roots" of where drum corps came from. Some of the so called complaints come from former members that were part of the building of what we have today. They were from the military and enjoyed being part of Drum Corps just like the members do today.

It was different and had a deep military and patriotic tradition that is not really part of today’s corps. Sure, the drill was not as complex, the music was not complex, but it was something that they (we) worked hard at and enjoyed. You didn't need to have musical back ground to march, it was taught to you, it didn't cost a small fortune to march and the members usually came from the same area.

It's not that any one era was better or worst, just different for many reasons.

Now, when they add woodwinds, that's when I go and stop supporting the thing I love, Drum Corps!!!

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

I think sometimes you have to understand the "roots" of where drum corps came from. Some of the so called complaints come from former members that were part of the building of what we have today. They were from the military and enjoyed being part of Drum Corps just like the members do today.

It was different and had a deep military and patriotic tradition that is not really part of today’s corps. Sure, the drill was not as complex, the music was not complex, but it was something that they (we) worked hard at and enjoyed. You didn't need to have musical back ground to march, it was taught to you, it didn't cost a small fortune to march and the members usually came from the same area.

This has been expressed many, many times. I think most of the newer generation(s) understands the military roots of drum corps -- maybe they aren't military drum corps scholars, but for the most part they/we "get it."

It's not that any one era was better or worst, just different for many reasons.

I honestly wish this is where all this "debate" would begin and end. I respect those who came before me, and I don't criticize or insult what they did, but it seems the reverse (respect for today's drum corps from those who marched in "the Golden Age") is all too rare. Every time one of the old guard screams that today's drum corps isn't real drum corps, it gets a little harder to maintain a civil discourse.

I'm not tired of the threads, because I am a patriot who believes in freedom of speech.

I can't say that I hate the drum corps of today. Not by any means. I went to a great show the day before yesterday! I got to see a ton of friends, before and after the show. I saw corps that exhibited tradition, and patriotism....and some who didn't.

Some had the old traditional-style uniforms, and some wore the newer 'cookie-cutter' style. Some played music I knew and could relate to...others, well...it was hard to feel a part of what was going on. I'm not going to 'give-up' on drum corps just because it has evolved into what it is. But we all need to remember that part of the evolutionary process is 'mutation.' When that happens, the new product is very often unrecognizable, compared to the old. All it will take is one more 'mutation', and I

fear that drum corps, as we know it, will cease to exist. The new product might be musical....it may involve marching. It might require tons of hard work and be very exciting. But it won't be drum corps.