allentown thoughts

Did you notice any volume of people leaving when Bayonne came on? That would REALLY be a shame. I hope there weren't many.

After BD finished I noticed a slow trickle... mostly other corps kids and folks with small children in strollers, etc. (Prolly a good idea! :P)

After scores there were a few more leaving... but I have to say that, from the field, it appeared that at least 90% of the folks that were in the stands for BD's performance were still there for ours... and MAN were they receptive! I lurve me some Allentown crowd, it was a blast.

I did hear from others that it was not even mentioned that we were there until AFTER BD finished their show. At that point the announcer gave this spiel:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, that concludes the competitive portion of tonight's program. Stick around for the awards ceremony and a special performance from the Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni Corps."

That's it. Also, there was no mention of our performance on the DCI.org Events Page for Allentown until the schedule was posted.

Oh well.... looks like a few folks heard about us.... :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you notice any volume of people leaving when Bayonne came on? That would REALLY be a shame. I hope there weren't many.

It sure didnt look like anyone left from the field-that crowd did nothing but encourage us.

Thanks for that terrific review ! Maybe I liked it a lot because your sentiments, both good and bad, seemed to mirror mine on each of these Corps. ' Guess that's human nature.....haha!........Thanks for sharing this with us!

actually Mike.. while we were waiting to go on.. it seemed as if a ton of people were walking past us to go out! but when you looked back into the stands they still seemed full.. go figure. I actually (like the idiot that I am) started moving toward the gate asking everyone where they were going!

" Hey!! where you goin? get back in there.. were not done yet!" :P

"build up to the closer again ruined by narration. however the show finishes very strong. quite honestly,, you take the narration out of this show, clean up the drumline, and you have a corps that should be beating Colts and maybe nipping at Spirit's heels."

I saw Blue Stars last night, and while I respect your opinion of the narration, and agree that it is unnecessary in some points, I disagree that it detracts from the show to the degree that they are being penalized from a score standpoint. You are making the case that if they take away the narration it will result in an increase in score, and I think from a theme standpoint it actually fits well with the show. I still think the narration is "unnecessary", as the corps plays very well and could easily communicate the show without the narration, but I definitely don't think that it is hurting their score. Thanks for the review.

-FCO

actually Mike.. while we were waiting to go on.. it seemed as if a ton of people were walking past us to go out! but when you looked back into the stands they still seemed full.. go figure.

That is good...I would hate to have people miss out on what must have been a GREAT moment! I go back to see St Andrew back in 68 when I marched a GSC corps...and LOVED when they came out with the banan unis in 76. One of my all-time favorite memories of drum corps.

I actually (like the idiot that I am) started moving toward the gate asking everyone where they were going!

" Hey!! where you goin? get back in there.. were not done yet!" :P

:P

4 basses? wow. missing one?

Yes, Jeff. Bass 5, Nick Curci from Ca, was admitted to Reading Hospital Sat. AM. The whole corps, staff & volunteers are praying for his recovery. His dad is flying in today. It doesn't look like he'll be able to march finals week, but we'll wait and see. BTW he has a twin in SCV.

PS I've enjoyed reading your posts here (& on RAMD 3-5 years ago; I've given up on it recently).

Im just curious what show you saw....because there is no narration or amplified voice in Seattle's show... :laugh: Pretty harsh words for a show you don't seem to remember.

yo're right, and after further review of my hastily scribbled notes, i confused Seattle's and some parts of Crossmen.

I was able to get Seattle's show, and i meant to say they didn't need it, and you could still get it.

that's what i get for writing reviews at 2 am.

thanks for catching my screw up, and sorry Seattle.

Great review of all the corps, Jeff! Outstanding. There really was nothing insulting as well, just good honest opinion.

I agree with you about the Bluecoats guard. I think they are not being scored anywhere close to accurate. But hey, that's just me.

You should go to more DCI shows. You write great reviews and it seemed to me you are still finding a good bit of entertainment in many of the shows.

Wish I could have seen the Bridgemen. I remember seeing them live in 1979 and I was blown away. Loved them in 80 and 81 as well. That had to be one exciting moment in Allentown.

I also agree with your assessment of the stadium. There is so much history there, no doubt, and I have always loved attending DCI East, but the last few times I was there it was difficult to find parking and I never thought the sound traveled well. I realize DCI will probably not leave because of the great service they get with the guy who runs the show, but I think it's time for a new city and new stadium. Maybe it's time to bring DCI East to Pittsburgh.

I dunno dude. i saw too much that ###### me off. i'll be honest, some of it i held back on. after seeing fur fly in here last week, i didn't feel like getting a love note from the admins in my PM box.

as far as cities....well...i'd love Philly if i do start going again. I'd love Pittsburgh.

but odds are, this regional too will end up in a dome. PA has none of those, plus Pitt and Philly are natural turf fields.....2 days of drum corps during what is usually preseason time aint gonna happen

Thanks for the review Jeff, and welcome back. :)

don't get your hopes up. people still talk into microphones over gorgeous musical moments