The wind ensemble brass approach

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I love it when a corps knocks me into the next row with a wall of loudness. But I guess the approach David Bertman takes with the Cavies does give the members a whole lot more to take back home after tour is over (more than alot of other corps, I figure). In a school or professional ensemble outside of drum corps, the regular drum and bugle corps approach is not always best, and ensemble skills can be very important in music education (although the looks on the faces of the clarinet section after you just covered up the whole band with your newly acquired dbc sound, can be very entertaining). Maybe that's what Bertman's going for, not only an amazing hornline, but a better chance for his guys to go back home as better musicians (I think he's more into educating than winning). His method does work for that. I've noticed a friends playing level before and after a summer with the Cavaliers. His ensemble and personal playing skills shot through the roof. Personally, I wished the caption head of the drum corps I was a member of did that. We impressed with volume, but I sure didn't come back any better. I think the method is great for the corps. If it means less volume outside, so be it, I'm still amazed by the quality.

Second theory: Eddie Green is scaring Bertman into teaching his methods everywhere he can. Bertman complies because Green is that scary. I know I would.

I like it loud when it's supposed to be loud, and soft when it's supposed to be soft. Brass or perc, volume control can be difficult to master, especially when you have to play with X amount of other people.

One thing that makes the Cavaliers not sound as loud is simply that the sound is so pure and clean, there is no "junk" in the sound. If they had that "junk" or "edge" in the sound, noone would complain. Fact is, the sound of the Cavaliers brassline since 2002 is unmatched, and I prefer the unique sound they have, simply because "loud" has been done before.

One thing that makes the Cavaliers not sound as loud is simply that the sound is so pure and clean, there is no "junk" in the sound. If they had that "junk" or "edge" in the sound, noone would complain. Fact is, the sound of the Cavaliers brassline since 2002 is unmatched, and I prefer the unique sound they have, simply because "loud" has been done before.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't pure and clean actually enhance the emsemble's volume? If this is the case, then less junk = more volume. So that leads me to believe they're not playing full out, but rather controlled.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't pure and clean actually enhance the emsemble's volume? If this is the case, then less junk = more volume. So that leads me to believe they're not playing full out, but rather controlled.

You are correct, sir! Unfortunatly, I don't think that cleanliness and purity will enhance it to the volume that alot of people prefer. I wish it would though. On the other hand, louder can alot of the times mean more dirt. So maybe the Cavies like to keep it backed off a little for better contol of tone. From what I saw, in 2003, they tried to take it up a notch or two and lost that Cavie clarity. It might just be me, but it just wasn't as clean as 02 or 04 when they weren't as loud.

If they can play with a face melting volume and maintain that awesome ensemble sound that they are known for.....I will be forced to bring an extra change of underwear to the shows from now on. I hope I need to next summer.

This why I love Phantom for playing with great blend. A great, insane make-me-crap-my-pants-LOUD-AS-#### blend. Listening to Phantom, BD or SCV warm-up is probably my favorite thing in the whole world. Listening to Cavies warm up is like watching a mentally challenged turtle try to climb Mt. Everest.

want my friggin' face melted off!

Listening to Cavies warm up is like watching a mentally challenged turtle try to climb Mt. Everest.

Classy!

This why I love Phantom for playing with great blend. A great, insane make-me-crap-my-pants-LOUD-AS-#### blend. Listening to Phantom, BD or SCV warm-up is probably my favorite thing in the whole world. Listening to Cavies warm up is like watching a mentally challenged turtle try to climb Mt. Everest.

want my friggin' face melted off!

Melting your face off isn't what they're looking for. Really, the Cavies' warm-up makes way more sense to me as a brass player. It's warming up, not a p*ssing contest. And Phantom's blend is one of the last things that comes to mind when I think of their sound, as entertaining as they can be some years.