DCI is moving to Indy

Oh yeah, you KNEW I'd get you on this one! :lol:

Let's see - spending time on vacation in...Southern California B) vs. Indiana :lol:

People went all the way to Boston (OTHER side of this country) and Denver (back towards "our" side) in droves! Yet you don't think they'll come out to California? :lol: Why? Because California has nothing to offer the vacationer? :lol:

Get real dude. Cali will be a BLAST! :lol:

So, you think that people take their vacation along with the DCI championships and they don't go unless it's a great vacation spot? I have never known anyone who has gone to finals to take vacation. Interesting.

That would explain the popularity of Madison with DCI fans. Because in Wisconsin, they have all the....

all the.......

the........

hmmm......

dells?

cheese?

####. I'm just sure that evil George Hopkins is behind this latest conspiracy. It's the end of drum corps I say! :huh:

(I"m not sure what's worse, people who presume to know everything about everything and why it is wrong, or people who post the same things already posted 10 times because they are too lazy to read the thread)

Edited by Wadep66

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really not expecting this. What shocks me even more is how they commited to it before they have even tested it out. So now if something goes wrong we will be stuck there for 10 years.

The announcement made all of the local indy evening news shows and was presented very well and upbeat. Indianapolis does a go job with large events and has secured itself as sports (NCAA finals, speed sports etc) and music destination. I thin the central location in the country will give lots of flexability on the tour schedules. unfortunately , my saughter ages out this year from PR. Five year later and i would save on hotel room costs

Acoustics is a science not a crap shoot, and I'm sure that the acoustical consultants that helped design the building made sure that the acoustics will be what was asked for. Computer modeling tells a lot.

Acoustics is, indeed, a science -- but not an exact one. A number of recently-constructed music venues have been built with the aid of the finest acoustical planning possible but have still turned out to be aurally disappointing. By way of example: several years ago Chicago's Orchestra Hall was redesigned to, among other things, improve the sound. Some of the most respected acousticians in the world worked on the project, the results of which are decidedly sub-par. Adjustments still continue to be made in an attempt to improve the quality of sound.

Acoustics is, indeed, a science -- but not an exact one. A number of recently-constructed music venues have been built with the aid of the finest acoustical planning possible but have still turned out to be aurally disappointing. By way of example: several years ago Chicago's Orchestra Hall was redesigned to, among other things, improve the sound. Some of the most respected acousticians in the world worked on the project, the results of which are decidedly sub-par. Adjustments still continue to be made in an attempt to improve the quality of sound.
Or it could sound like the Orange County Performing Arts Center b**bs

Wishful thinking, I know. :huh:

In all my thinking on this Indy deal I came up with a question... Do you think DCI will get its own field logo if it will hold Championships in the same place that long. Or will we see ten years of DVDs having the Colts logo. Before they didn't have one because they were in various locations, but now they can invest in one. How cool would it be if Drum Corps marched finals on a DCI field (or at least a 50 yard line logo).

Our own logo on the 50 would be cool for sure. Unless we had to share it with BOA. <**>

Our own logo on the 50 would be cool for sure. Unless we had to share it with BOA. <**>

Now, there is nothing wrong with BOA. A lot of those kids come march DCI. Except, or course, for the ones that are too good for DCI :P

The point for me is not whether its in florida or not. I dont like the fact that it will be in one place or ten years because that doesnt give all the folks down in florida and all the way on the west coast and anywhere else far from indianapolis and chance to go to finals without having to make long term plans and having to spend alot of money on air fare or gas. Atleast moving around from location to location gives everyone one a chance to experience Finals. Im sure many people would be willing to go through a little humidity and discomfort if it were easiar for them to get a chance to see finals.

Ok, allow me to make a few points. I understand what you are saying. You live in Florida, and you would certainly have to travel great distances to see Finals. So would people from the West Coast, and even the East Coast. Consider this, how often has DCI Finals been held in Florida? 5 times. Miami in 1983, and Orlando in 1996-1998, and 2003. From 1972 to 1982 there were NO Finals in Florida. And after 1983 none for another 13 years. So how is this any different. The closest the West Coast has been to Finals was Denver in 1977, 1978, and 2004. After 1978 they waited 26 years (26!!!!) for another Finals. Again, how is this any different from what DCI will do now?

Nothing has changed. Yes, this is the longest term agreement DCI has made with any one city, but the fact is that Finals have traditionally been held in the Midwest, East region of the country. Between Madison, Kansas City, Whitewater, Buffalo, Boston, Ithaca, Washinton, D.C., and Philadelphia, Finals have been held either in the Midwest or the East 19 times. It's not a scam or a purposeful attempt to ignore the rest of the country, but it's a matter of DCI trying to stay alive and work within a budget.

Nobody is happier than me that Finals will be on the West Coast next year, but the West Coast does present a tremendous challenge to many corps and to DCI as far as logistics, show sites, and costs. Florida also presents many challenges. It's very, very hot this time of year, there is lots of rain, and finding schools to stay in is not easy. Even the East Coast is difficult because it is soooooooo expensive. Foxboro costs an arm and a leg for DCI, the corps, and the fans.

Indianapolis present many positives. There will be some challenges, but when is this not the case? Indianapolis is a very experienced city when it comes to these kind of events, so worrrying about stadium issues and all that is just nonsence. For cryin' out oud, DCI has held Finals at much worse stadiums than the RCA dome, and the new Indy stadium will be much better than the RCA dome. And if the new stadium is not ready to go in 2008, they will use Bloomington's Memorial Stadium, which is an incredible stadium for sound and view, and it's only 30 miles south of Indy.

Cheers!

Also, though I love and have had wonderful sushi in several fine restaurants around the area, the Indiana State Fair starts off that same week. You haven't lived till you've had a corn dog, lemonade shake-up, deep fried ho-ho, and elephant ear...for breakfast!!

My arteries would have to be Roto-Rooted after that. Yikes.

What kind of tie-ins could we have with the State Fair? How many miles is it from the stadium?