Quarterfinals random thoughts and observations

I think this is what makes our activity very unique and enjoyable...everyone has preferences as to what they think works, and what they like...

Studio Tan - we see and hear things differently, but neither opinion is wrong...very cool, IMHO.

Four Corners at about the 7.20 mark has the best hook of all.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May I add That this is quite possibly one of the most competitive and quality Drum Corps years ever.....Everything is so tight, so great, man i was blown away by tonights performances.....I would be happy with any combination of corps in the top 3, Kudos DCI

A friend of mine who marched several years in the late 80's/early 90's including BD but hasn't seen

a drumcorps show in awhile went to the broadcast. After Glassmen finished their show, he said that

the most amazing thing about that show is that it's in 11th place. Just a few years back that would have

been at least a 7th place show.

I was thinking the same thing during Southwind. After watching them, I leaned over to a friend and said, "Man, that might've made finals back when we were marching."

Great job by all corps.

I think the judges are setting up the scores for some upsets. I think Glassmen (88.125) will pass Madison (88.250).

Blue Knights (89.650) will pass Crown (89.675) . SCV (92.375) will pass Bluecoats (92.975). This may be the year of jumps! Should be interesting to see where everyone falls tonight. I think we will see some passage tonight.

I guess you missed all the mistakes in the cadets show too. And when your horn line only plays half the show and only marches 2/3 of the show it is no wonder they are scoring as low as they are. I only saw the theater show so don't know how the horn line sounded because of the bad volume mix (could only hear the pit after the intermission), but in allentown I was surprised at how sloppy the cadets hornline sounded in their closer. I heard stuff sticking out and tonal problems like crazy. on the theater broadcast I saw lots of marching issues in their show when they were marching which is very surprising for the Cadets.

I would agree that the Bluecoats visual package doesn't quite have the punch that the other top 6 corps have, but they are making up for it by having a strong music program, and even though Rondo said their hornline sounded a little rough around the edges last night they still managed to get 5th in brass. So if their hornline can have a better show, like they had been doing all season, they could easily overtake cadets in brass. And their drumline is much cleaner and playing as healthy a book as cadets.

Embellish much?

I know the percussion feature is long, but it does not constitute half the show.

As far as marching only 2/3 of the show. . .again, you exaggerate.

I was in Madison, and SCV's pit didn't overpower the battery.

Scouts - drill is super hard, and still dirty. Too bad, I really like the show. Need to get rid if the watered down trumpet solo. Still bad.

Crown - great brass sound.

SCV - first viewing. I love the show. First goose bump moment of the night. Lone trumpet was cool. Loved the cymbal line make the V then let the trumpet thru at the end. Yell was loud.

Coats - never one of my favorites, but really liked their show this year.

Cadets - hate amp's and vocals, but actually like the show. Whoever is in the rabbit suit must feel like an idiot. Loved the music and drill.

PR - quite a few errors on leans, and people falling over while kneeling, but WOW. Show of the year. Kick halt is awesome. Drumline - best playing AND writing on the field. Loudest hornline.

BD - great show. My favorite since 2000. Whole package.

Cavies - visually a different level. So much going on I didn't know where to watch. Liked the music a lot.

Great weather, great show. 3 horse race.

this was my first cinecast. I have gone to both classic countdowns and the audio was horrible off to one side and not loud enough. this time it was in 5.1 clearly and loud enough for me. EXCEPT SCV which all I heard was pit.. I was furious.

I thought everyone did a great job. as far as placements I think things are where they should be.

I took a non drum corps person with me and she loved it.. until the cavaliers came on... she started freaking out when she noticed no girls were there. she started freaking out about it and comparing it to sexism. almost ruined the night for me. I dont really care for the cavaliers.. their hornline just never gets loud and just doesnt do it for me. but I still respect them as a corp. and I do feel they deserve where they are at right now.

I was in houston texas.. basically home of the cavaliers. and it was funny.... during cadets no applause except for stick toss.. and at the end.. silence... the ENTIRE theatre sat on their hands. I couldnt believe it.. I must have been the only cadet there but I didnt care.. I knew that at other theatres they were going nuts. so I went nuts. but when the cavaliers came on. I thought I was in a hs pep rally. it was rediculous.

all in all a good night.. I wish I was in madison to cheer on my brother. DM for SCV. he is my hero.

thanks to everyone this season who has had good things to say and helped me get a read of whats going on this season.

thanks again

And what about the Cadets? Too much Alice, too little everyone else. Sorry guys.

Surprise surprise it would be Hopkins daughter.. I'm sorry, but i don't think that a rookie, father being the director or not, should get that solo. There are so many talented people in the cadets guard. So many vets that have put in years and years into color guard and dancing with this organization. It was wrong just to put her as the main character. This is my own personal opinion ofcourse. And I personally don't like the characters to begin with. Just "shaddy", for a lack of better wording, that the directors daughter, a rookie, would get the big solo when there are so many qualified members in that color guard!

Him, and Mr. Moto. Our whole theater was almost in tears!!!!

To embellish where I was too tired to last night...

Jessica: What's your role in the show?

Moto: [deadpan] I represent the constant reminder of perpetual motion.

Jessica: So what do you do at practice?

Moto: [even more deadpan] I march.

b**bs b**bs b**bs

We almost died laughing in our theater!!!

To embellish where I was too tired to last night...

Jessica: What's your role in the show?

Moto: [deadpan] I represent the constant reminder of perpetual motion.

Jessica: So what do you do at practice?

Moto: [even more deadpan] I march.

b**bs b**bs b**bs

We almost died laughing in our theater!!!

The best I've seen was in 2004, with the Cavies tenor drummer. Classic.