Madison Scouts Alumni Project!

Ok, after a short hiatus from dcp I'm back

The show last night was awesome.

The crowd last night was awesome.

I had mentioned earlier that this was going to be huge!!!

Thank you for all your kind words, It makes it all worth it

Come celebrate at the big tent with us at stadium bar

RF

Randy Ferrie

Director

Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project

CONGRATULATIONS!! :huh: I'M SO SORRY THAT I MISSED IT, BUT I CERTAINLY KNEW I WOULD BE!

Did big Dan V make it to the podium last night?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now...from a west coast perspective, and not meaning to take anything away from Madison's great night last night, I will say this. There was a LARGE contingent of Kingsmen Alumni in the crowd last night that came back specifically to see the MAD Alumni Project, and I can all but guarantee that MAD inadvertently sent the KAC folks into heaven and back AND fueled their fires even more. KAC is well on its way to present an incredible show in Pasadena in one year, but I really think that MAD's performance will push the KAC to even greater heights.

Thank you Madison...you sent this sorta-old-timer over the top....which wasn't a good idea since I was up in the top level of the pressbox. EXCELLENT and JOYOUS performance. And I thank you!!!

Well put, Ryan. I watched the streaming cast and was out of my seat and screaming the entire time - my family had to go upstairs to watch "normal" TV. You guys even pulled a wobbly lip out of me when you did the company front - I'm a sucker for those.

Also thanks for setting the bar a little higher.

Thank you Madison! :huh:

Its so great to read all the positive input from everyone. I have even seen postings from people who in other threads are very negative about "old school" corps yet praise the Scout performance. Its funny how someone who doesn't like old corps can heap compliments here. I think the fence riders have been awed.

<snip>

To the person who in another thread said that you couldn't recruit using old school corps,........still think that?

<snip>

"Old school" is not dead, only DCI would like you to believe that. I bet people in the stands even knew some of the music, if not all.

Okay.. I was there last night and the Scouts Alumni Project was indeed exciting and wonderful and had the whole place rocking. Everybody seemed to be having a great time watching and/or performing..

HOWEVER.. I have to speak up in response to your implication that people who like New School or just DCI in general are unappreciative of Old School. That's just not the case. NO ONE has said there is no place for Old School Drum Corps in our world.. that's just clearly NOT the case. There's an audience for it, clearly.. BUT that audience is largely made up of people who experienced it before.

Case in point: We were cruising through Souvie Alley before we went into the show last night.. we stopped at DCI's tent and behind us, they were playing 77 Bridgemen on the big screen. Admittedly, there was quite a crowd standing there watching, digging, smiling.. really enjoying it.. BUT.. from looking at them (and closely, because I was curious), I would estimate NOT ONE of those people in that crowd while we were there was under the age of 25. Younger fans were going through there.. they'd look.. and keep walking.

So YES there is a market. YES there is a place for it.. but it's just not going to happen in the junior corps ranks. That's not what the kids want to do OR see.. and if they do want to see it or do it, they can join an all-age or alumni corps and get their fill of it.

That's all I have to say on that subject.

Okay.. I was there last night and the Scouts Alumni Project was indeed exciting and wonderful and had the whole place rocking. Everybody seemed to be having a great time watching and/or performing..

HOWEVER.. I have to speak up in response to your implication that people who like New School or just DCI in general are unappreciative of Old School. That's just not the case. NO ONE has said there is no place for Old School Drum Corps in our world.. that's just clearly NOT the case. There's an audience for it, clearly.. BUT that audience is largely made up of people who experienced it before.

Case in point: We were cruising through Souvie Alley before we went into the show last night.. we stopped at DCI's tent and behind us, they were playing 77 Bridgemen on the big screen. Admittedly, there was quite a crowd standing there watching, digging, smiling.. really enjoying it.. BUT.. from looking at them (and closely, because I was curious), I would estimate NOT ONE of those people in that crowd while we were there was under the age of 25. Younger fans were going through there.. they'd look.. and keep walking.

So YES there is a market. YES there is a place for it.. but it's just not going to happen in the junior corps ranks. That's not what the kids want to do OR see.. and if they do want to see it or do it, they can join an all-age or alumni corps and get their fill of it.

Fell better? b**bs

Did big Dan V make it to the podium last night?

Not the podium.. he was the A-Squad sargeant.. he was also one of the side conductors -- but not on the big podium. Tony Rother was one of the guys on the big podium.

To the guy who asked about the "gimpy" A-squad sargeant.. that was Dan V. To think, a year ago he was in a wheelchair unable to walk at all.. and no one thought he would even be here today, much less lead the corps onto the field.

That was a great moment.

I'd stop for Bridgemen '77 b**bs b**bs

--Troy, 21

Fell better? b**bs

You're naughty! I felt better about a half hour ago but I'm not telling you why.:diva:

Feel better? b**bs

You're naughty! I felt better about a half hour ago but I'm not telling you why.:diva:

Do I get a cousin???? b**bs