Hop wants to eliminate score recaps and other rule changes.

Yeah. George Hopkins is an idiot. He has no clue. I mean his corps is fourth in the world. He should be embarrassed. I mean cadets have been a real failure since he has directed them. They hardley ever win championships. Maybe only a couple of times a decade, and that show design... only saw it three times. Large stading ovation each time. What an embarassment. Lets all jump on George because we are so much more talented. Oh thats right we are sitting typing on DCP while hes directing a corps at finals RIGHT NOW!!!! Good night.

Annnnd, your point is?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find his blog fascinating. However, I think everyone gives him more credit for the changes within DCI than he's due.

Hopkins directly controls, at most, 2 votes on the Board: Cadets and Crossmen. Many of his propositions fail and those which DO pass require the support of a bunch of other corps.

So, why no threads on how Dave Gibbs or Greg Orwoll or Howard Weinstein or any of a dozen others are ruining the activity?

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you. Because they don't have the ba775 to let you know what they think. Apparently the people who hate George can't resist commenting on everything he says, like he is the only voice of DCI. Pitiful. Press the other directors to let us in on their lives and beliefs and I will bet you won't like what you see there either.

Edited by Wadep66

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you. Because they don't have the ba775 to let you know what they think. Apparently the people who hate George can't resist commenting on everything he says, like he is the only voice of DCI. Pitiful. Press the other directors to let us in on their lives and beliefs and I will bet you won't like what you see there either.

thank god there are more people who understand that Hop can't control DCI...geez...it's like speaking to a wall with some of these people...its a proposition...THATS IT...and it is not even official because it is before Sept. 15th...

Pretty much every year Hopkins and Fiedler are the only 2 directors that throw out some ideas to think about. Every year the Hopkins proposals get a thread like this and Fiedlers, well not so much. Oh and if you don't agree with Hopkins don't worry about facts when you flame him.

Translation: If you can't win the game, change the game. Again.

:worthy:

and he only once after he changed the game. the next year a corps did it mostly the old way and won

Why would Hopkins want to turn any part of DCI into all-age? Does he not want to put an entry into DCA because he fears he won't have as much political influence there as he does within DCI?

he had one there. he ran em into inactivity

I have read Hop's recent blog and I have condensed it into a to do list that is more understandable:

Hop's To Do List Sept 2006:

1) My Corps is losing, note to self.....change rules to make sure this never happens again!

2) Whine about going to Cali as much as I can, so that never happens again too

3) Think of next inflammatory blog to post

you forgot fix the corps that feel from 14th to 15th

thank god there are more people who understand that Hop can't control DCI...geez...it's like speaking to a wall with some of these people...its a proposition...THATS IT...and it is not even official because it is before Sept. 15th...

You must really admire the man to assign a capital H to his name while God is reduced to a small g (but we've seen "g's" reduced before, haven't we?).

You must really admire the man to assign a capital H to his name while God is reduced to a small g (but we've seen "g's" reduced before, haven't we?).

ha...sorry my mistake...maybe GOD...then Hop is that better? And yes i think very HIGHLY of Mr. Hopkins...he is a great man...and all of my friends who march the Cadets think he is just an awesome guy...he seems genuine to me when i have heard him speak or watched him at rehearsals...

Hmmm. This is quite curious.

He wants electronics in, of course. Anything to give the big money corps another advantage over the money-starving ones.

He wants prop folks in, so the big corps have another advantage since they can afford a traveling entourage a lot more easily than a smaller corps. I guess you could try and talk your show staff into doing it and then have the advantage of on-field coaching.

He wants to make the corps even larger, which is another advantage to the big money corps since they can more easily absorb the expenses of driving more people around. Nevermind how he wants "prop people" that won't even count under this new expanded limit, I gather.

Revisit age issues? I didn't know there were any age issues. When did those crop up?

Total effect? I thought we already had that in the "total score."

Elimination of recaps for the net? Ah, so he wants information control. DCI wants our money for season pass, APD's, DVDs, CDs, etc, but wouldn't want to share show results with us? This sounds bad for business to me.

Different method for assigning judges? Is he saying there is some impropriety there? I would love for him to expand on that.

Change to seeding? I might be able to sign on for that. As long as The Cadets are willing to go on in the middle of the afternoon at Quarterfinals, it sounds good to me. However, random corps selection sounds bad for attracting people to the Cinecast event unless they intend to put everybody on.

Training for effect judges? What training do you need? Get me. GE should be the opinion of an average fan and select them from each show's audience. Maybe even take 5 of them, give them a free show from the box, and let them write down scores. Average them out and you've got GE scores. If somebody needs training to gauge the effect of your show, then your show is not aimed at the paying audience.

Set up time extension? If you need more time to setup, you've got too much junk. Scale it back a little bit.

The cost to get to Cali? Most of his proposals would have the net effect of making it more costly to compete in the activity and then he says he is concerned about the travel costs? Give me a break.

The loss of income for corps heading west? Has he ever been concerned about corps having to come east almost every year? If he hasn't been overly concerned about that, he can take this concern and shove it.

How will it be handled? The same way it is always handled.

Task force? Judge admin? Other fun stuff? I don't know what he is getting at, so I'll wait for something definitive.

Fantastic response.