Hop wants to eliminate score recaps and other rule changes.

Will they have difficulty filling their 135 (140?) slots next year? NFW.

No, but let's see the decrease in visual quality once George gets to his 180 member goal.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DIGGEDA DIGGEDA DA DE DA TO DDDDRRRRRRRUMMMPPPADA!

Presumably, this is all spoken, not actually drummed. People apparently "like that".

/only snide comment of my batch off/

Edited by Tank

we need to make GE easier. people want to make it about all this deep hidden meaning......in theory it should be about reactions of the judges. but if they have to study to get a show, as opposed to just watching and hopefully enjoying, then, GE is too complicated

I agree, if that is the kind of show being evaluated. Should the GE of Frameworks or Pathways be evaluated in the same way as Juxtapositions or Drum Corps Fans Dream: Part Dos? I think not. Those shows are completely different with what effect they are supposed have have on the audience. If a show is designed with deep hidden meaning that needs to be studied, then perhaps it should be evaluated as how well it conveys that. And if a show is supposed to be simple and fun, then that should be how it is judged. Making one type of effect fit into the box of another just doesn't work. And we see that outcome all the time even here on DCP. For every person saying Frameworks was boring, there is another saying they loved it.

electronic perrcussion -- want to try a limited proposal No. Amps and singing are bad enough. I found it hard to sit through the corps that used singing and narration as it is. 99% of the best drum corps shows were sans-amps. Don't #### up a working formula any more than it already is. And there is only one R in percussion :P

prop folks --- allow for prop folk on the field, to move props etc as long as they are non performers -- safer, less wear and tear for the members. Is he talking about during the show? Or just during setup? Cause if it's just setup/teardown, what's the big deal? But if he means during the show, that is absolutely crazy. Even in WGI, the king of props, non-members are not allowed to mess with anything during the show. And WGI has enough problems with props as it is. Usually the line with the most $$ and most volunteers can get extra GE points just for props without the members actually having to contribute. And it's a huge problem. Drum corps as of now, is untouched by this blight. Let's not infect drum corps with crazypropsforGEitis.

addition of members ... from 135-140 Not a big deal, but where does it stop? Next year he'll want to raise it from 140 to 145, and the year after that...

revisit age issues Sure, as long as it doesn't involve people over 21-22 becoming members. Junior Drum Corps is a youth activity. Period. Changing that in any way would harm this principle at the core.

addition of total effect Don't we already have this? Isn't GE basically supposed to be this? What exactly is his beef with GE? Maybe because his idea of what is an effective show was trounced this year.

the elimination of recaps for the net I cannot see what benefit this would have for drum corps or the fans. Perhaps he is mad that people are constantly arguing about tenths and bagging on his corps. If so, so what. Talking about the scores is our right. And transparency in judging can only be good. I am soundly against making the recaps secret.

Set up time extension? What's wrong with the time alloted now? In indoor, groups have to literally run to get set up and torn down on time, and yet, it seems to work fine. As of now, I have yet to see a drum corps frantically trying to beat the clock. The time allowed now seems sufficient.

addition of members ... from 135-140 Not a big deal, but where does it stop? Next year he'll want to raise it from 140 to 145, and the year after that...

150, and the year after that, 160. And the year after that, 175. And the year after that, 180 or more.

revisit age issues Sure, as long as it doesn't involve people over 21-22 becoming members. Junior Drum Corps is a youth activity. Period. Changing that in any way would harm this principle at the core.

As someone who turned 21 in June, I can see/support a change of this, so long as we don't move the line beyond 21-22 (as the poster above comments).

the elimination of recaps for the net I cannot see what benefit this would have for drum corps or the fans. Perhaps he is mad that people are constantly arguing about tenths and bagging on his corps.

To be perfectly honest, bagging on the corps over tenths of a point is the least he should worried about, in my opinion.

Set up time extension? What's wrong with the time alloted now? In indoor, groups have to literally run to get set up and torn down on time, and yet, it seems to work fine. As of now, I have yet to see a drum corps frantically trying to beat the clock. The time allowed now seems sufficient.

Another example of Hopkins' likely approach of slowly extending the time ("Hey, what can be the big deal about increasing the time/number of members 30 seconds/5 members this year?" and next year, and next year, and next year . . . ) until he gets what he wants (was the number 13 1/2 instead of 11 or 11 1/2? I can't remember from his proposal a couple of years ago.).

I am officially joining the anti-Cadets camp. I've even got a good friend that recently taught there that says Hop's pretty much self-absorbed and will not listen to reason. Sorry kids, I hate to see the great legacy that was The Cadets ruined by one very unstable person.

No wonder the kids that march Cadets show little emotion

They've been numbed by the ZONE

"Sorry kids, I hate to see the great legacy that was The Cadets ruined by one very unstable person."

The Cadets won their first championship in 1983...George Hopkins first year as director.

The Cadets were DCI champions last year with the highest score in DCI history.

How is he ruining The Cadets and their great legacy?

George is trying to make this activity better by pushing the envelope! Unfortunately for The Cadets, this was a very competitive year for drum corps. I can't even begin to imagine how much time it took to put together such a well coordinated show.

Many people are comparing the Cadets to a "BOA band." Did anyone see BOA finals this past year. It was incredible. I would be honored to be compared to a BOA band. The Bands of America organization is one of the elite in this activity.

The Cadets are doing many great things for this activity. I am thankful for someone like George Hopkins for his vision for drum corps and its future.

Kudos to the Cadets and all of the other corps who competed this weekend.

Many people are comparing the Cadets to a "BOA band." Did anyone see BOA finals this past year. It was incredible. I would be honored to be compared to a BOA band. The Bands of America organization is one of the elite in this activity.

I always thought any comparison of a corps to a band was, at best, a backhanded compliment. It never dawned on me that somebody might believe it was truly a compliment to be proud of.