Carolina Crown

I aged out of Crown this summer. If I could I would return. I Love the corps and I love the staff.

As competitive as I am, the crowd’s response to our performance and our scores on finals night gave me a better feeling than getting 6th or 7th would have. A handful of judges may have misjudged us, but the thousands of people in the stands can't be wrong. Once we were out of the stadium after retreat, many Star of Indiana and Crown alums came to congratulate us on three great performances during finals week. When we were walking back to the busses, many members of the Mandarins (I think) met us on the sidewalk to cheer us on. These moments made my finals night a night I will always remember. People will remember the show and the corps, but scores and placements will soon be forgotten.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard for other captions to get the credit they deserve while one is scoring in 12th. Our drumline was 5th-6th practically all season, then fell at finals even though we played way way better than Allentown. Funny things just happen on finals weekend.

Edited by Jofus

It is almost impossible to be objective enough to be involved in a discussion of the show you just came back from performing. People should stop trying to take the comments and the numbers personally. In time, you may be able to see the differences in your show and understand how it happened. If you never do, that's fine too. Thinking about the applause, all the hard work, and all the fun is the right way to go and is all that ultimately will matter anyway.

Edited by Tekneek

It's hard for other captions to get the credit they deserve while one is scoring in 12th. Our drumline was 5th-6th practically all season, then fell at finals even though we played way way better than Allentown. Funny things just happen on finals weekend.

I'm sorry, but your drum line was never 5th or 6th this season when the entire line up was competing. At every regional, Crown's drum line was 12th, or the lowest scoring of the corps that finished in finals (even lower than some of the 13 and below placing corps). The show was great. The performance was great. The crowd in Madison alone should tell you that. The drum line didn't get screwed as is implied in the post. They placed right where they deserved, and where they had been placing all summer.

... and this has happened EVERY year since DCI has been in existence. There is always SOMEONE who the crowd kind of says "HUH?" to when the score is given at DCI, both in a positive way "huh" and a negative way "huh" ...

Going waaaayyy back to 1977 DCI... the Guardsmen had soundly beaten every one of the corps from I believe 9th place down just a few days prior to DCI...and then at DCI prelims the Guardsmen wind up in 14th or 15th place... out of finals and scratching their heads saying: "Wha?"

"Funny things" most certainly DO happen in finals week...

Wow. I never thought I would come back and read a post like this. I took that picture (unless other members did so and I didn't see). It was kind of spontaneous. Hearing the crowd boo the placement/score and then getting that amazing applause (which I would say rivaled the one Cavies got for winning!) I could not stop smiling and laughing. I have never felt that way before, and I will never ever forget it. The entire corps felt it. It was weird, but I really felt a connection with almost every member of the audience. We have fans! Crown 2006 was a killer season, in more ways than one, for me. That picture, that night, that crow, will always hold a special place in my heart. Because in my mind, that is what drum corps is all about. You would never have guessed that Crown got 8th with how happy we were when we got off the field.

Well, you were defientely NOT an eigth place corps, and defientely were one of the best corps of the year( and night) . An awesome, in your face, colorful, GE packed show full of everything old and new for everyone to love. Guard alone should have kept you over BK, they just dont spin.

Thanks for a great show and good luck next year.

~G~

I'm sorry, but your drum line was never 5th or 6th this season when the entire line up was competing. At every regional, Crown's drum line was 12th, or the lowest scoring of the corps that finished in finals (even lower than some of the 13 and below placing corps). The show was great. The performance was great. The crowd in Madison alone should tell you that. The drum line didn't get screwed as is implied in the post. They placed right where they deserved, and where they had been placing all summer.

The guy who said that his drumline was 5th-6th all season was talking about the Scouts, not Crown...

The guy who said that his drumline was 5th-6th all season was talking about the Scouts, not Crown...

Jofus was tenor drummer in the Scout's... and they were indeed placing 5th or 6th pretty consistently all season in drums overall in comparison to

all the other top 15 or so... until finals week.

I think it is always hard to swallow what we think our corps ought to get vs. what they do get. As a fan, if you loved Crown as I did the past three years then they are connecting to you. BK has never been a crowd favorite as i certainly know, but I think that many people on this thread went out of the way to single out BK as if they somehow screwed Crown. Let's get it straight, BK performed their A@@es off as did Crown and all the other corps that night. The point of the matter is that for years I could say that the Madison shows (ie. 95, 97) I have loved growing up were the greatest shows and deserved to win, but when i go back now and look at the difficulty and design of the corps that beat them I have to concede the placement. The fact is that Crown was #### near perfect in every way this year, but when a caption places 12th it puts you in a world of hurt. BK did nothing to deserve to be bagged on by some of you. so you don't like their show, or the music or whatever, but the fact is they had a top 7 caliber drum corps as did Crown this year and it came down to a final show to seperate them . If you had fianls again 10 times in a row it would probably come out 5-5. the last four times these two great corps came head to head BK won twice and Cwon won twice. Each by a fraction of a point. i think had the scores in the last week going into finals been a 2 to 3 point spread we should all cry fowl. I am just saying that competition is crazy that way and that i do not feel anyone got screwed. In fact to be in the top 10 now a days is an elite status. Crown folks and BK folks alike know what it was like in the recent past to not make finals and I think either corps would be happy with their placements any day. I'll sum it up with a similiar situation. in 98 we (BK) had beaten Phantom at every show we competed with them. But, as we came into fianls week we saw our spread close up on Quarters, and then gave the performance of a lifetime in Semi's, only to tie the Regiment that night. We all saw that chances were good we'd get passed and after an off perfomance at finals we did. We still couldn't help but feel ripped off, because we had been consistent all summer, but after anger settled, I realized that it was legit and felt proud of our accomplishments. No offense meant to either corps, I would just ask that people take a lesson from the Crown members that are posting about their proud moment of the crowd pumping them up. None of these wonderful young people has mentioned the words getting screwed or BK blah blah blah, so take it for what they are saying, they are proud and we are proud of them!!! :worthy:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I've never been so torn at a drum corps show before. I am a BK fan, and really loved their show this year (particularly the music, and that the show was all about the music), and was screaming like crazy for them from the stands. But how could you not love Crown this year? They were just fantastic. I was one of the screaming fans sending Crown the message I'm glad they got. And I thought "wait, I should be happy for BK", but it didn't take long to realize what many on this thread know well: it wasn't about the two corps. The difference between scores was nothing; it could have gone either way. The whole crowd was saying "don't worry about the score, Crown, that show was world class!" I am really happy to read here that many members of Crown feel the same way.