Regiment is a Class Act

I just want to say that I'm really happy that the Cavalier drums and the Phantom hornline showed such class and grace (and that the Phantom drums and Cavalier hornline were also receptive to the honor they were shown).

The midwest is lucky to have such great drum corps.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still remember standing five feet away from the Cavaliers hornline after Finals in '96 while they played "Over the Rainbow" for us and the Blue Devils. I took a picture of a member of their hornline for him while he was playing. I don't understand how anybody can think that the way they do finale now is ANY better than the way it used to be done. Who cares if it takes longer. People are free to leave if they don't want to stay.

I fondly remember doing full retreat every show of the season when I marched.

Where we still doing full retreat all season in 96 Mark?

I was always at critique and never payed much attention LOL

The only time I remember the corps playing themselves off was after Finals. We still did retreats though after every show, unlike what they do today. We would line up with the other corps, march out onto the field, hear the scores announced, and then the winner would play an encore. I don't remember too many drum major only retreats that summer. It's too bad that they don't at least do the full retreat after Finals. I remember when I went to Finals in Buffalo in '01 and the corps would just stand around for a while after scores were announced and then announcer told them to get off the field. It was pretty disappointing after the memories I had of the way it was done in '96.

Edited by wickerbill

I still remember standing five feet away from the Cavaliers hornline after Finals in '96 while they played "Over the Rainbow" for us and the Blue Devils. I took a picture of a member of their hornline for him while he was playing. I don't understand how anybody can think that the way they do finale now is ANY better than the way it used to be done. Who cares if it takes longer. People are free to leave if they don't want to stay.

:worthy:

I think one of my favorite memories of DC was in 97 when The Cadets played played their ballad for us. To be that close to a great hornline playing their last performance together was really neat

From what I could see (on the field..two feet from PR) most of the Cavie's rushed over to hear it. They seemed to understand the respect they were being given. It was a great drum corps moment.

I wish I could have heard that! Phantom, Cavaliers, Blue Devils, it doesn't matter who does it. Moments of comraderie like that alwasy make for the very best stories. I love score-watching, but I love being reminded of sportsmanship and respect!

I wish corps still did this for finals. When did this stop happening. When I marched

Div I in 1997...we all did this at finals (it took a while but it was really emotional).

When I came back to age out in 2001...everyone just left the stadium.

Its not like Rich Stadium is in the middle of a residential area or anything.

I was in the upper deck watching the whole scene on the field and, though I missed the cool Cav/PR drum line thing, the PR tribute was awesome and I can tell you was very much appreciated by the Cavaliers corps as well as by the many/many alumni in the audience. I had the chance to express that to PR's staff a little later. They'll likely get some flak for it from DCI folks, but so what? If they're worried about getting out of the stadium on time, why not cut short all of the sponsor photo ops for an hour after the announcement. They're up to shooting info-mercials out there!

What I don't see mentioned was also the class move by SCV drum majors. Tommy and Jordan walked over by SCV to see them and their DMs told them to hang until they could get fully suited up and do a formal salute and congratulations. Class acts from two class organizations. This really is what makes the activity fun.

I was in the upper deck watching the whole scene on the field and, though I missed the cool Cav/PR drum line thing, the PR tribute was awesome and I can tell you was very much appreciated by the Cavaliers corps as well as by the many/many alumni in the audience. I had the chance to express that to PR's staff a little later. They'll likely get some flak for it from DCI folks, but so what? If they're worried about getting out of the stadium on time, why not cut short all of the sponsor photo ops for an hour after the announcement. They're up to shooting info-mercials out there!

What I don't see mentioned was also the class move by SCV drum majors. Tommy and Jordan walked over by SCV to see them and their DMs told them to hang until they could get fully suited up and do a formal salute and congratulations. Class acts from two class organizations. This really is what makes the activity fun.

Ah....SCV, Regiment, and Cavaliers- my three favorite corps that will always have my respect, showing such respect for each other.... there's only one smiley for this occasion:

:worthy: