Was There a Worse Year for Entertaiment Value

Until Atlanta this year, my last live drum corps show was 1993 finals. Needless to say, drum corps has changed a lot since then, and it is almost unrecognizable since my marching days in the mid-70s. That being said, I was generally entertained with most of the programs that were presented this year.

I took my wife and two daughters, 11 and 14 years old, to the Southeastern Championships with no idea whether I had wasted my hard-earned money on fifty-yard-line mezzanine tickets. The fourteen-year-old is a band goob, so I figured she would enjoy most of it. My wife is a former band director, so I thought she would at least appreciate it. The "unknown quantity" was my eleven-year-old (the high point of her life thus far was the day she quit taking piano lessons.) When we left home, she said that she would rather stay and play with the neighbors.

Well, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but for different reasons. I was there primarily to see the Blue Stars' return to Division 1, and I wasn't disappointed. I loved Santa Clara's show, as always, and the Blue Devils showed that there is still a place for "classic" music performed extremely well. For all the stuff I had read about the Cavies and Cadets, I figured the "weird meter" would be pegged, but they were amazingly entertaining and enjoyable.

My wife and older daughter mainly liked the classical music, but my wife still hasn't figured out who decided that the Samuel Barber piano concerto belonged on the field (I tend to agree with her).

My eleven-year-old, however, sat there, mouth agape, and got upset when she had to leave for a restroom break. She was totally sucked in by the entire experience and hasn't quit talking about it! She found out about the finals broadcast on ESPN2, and wants us to get a wide-screen television before September!

Anyhow, although I can't really compare 2006 with previous years, we all feel like we received our money's worth from the experience, and my kids have already started making plans for Pasadena 2007.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'bring back the old days'..........'they just don't understand'....................'they're alumniphobic'...........great sentiments but not too accurate.............I believe in the evolution of our activity it is enivitable and it will have its supporters and detractors..I defend everyones right to boredom...............but.............what are we doing to the activity?................are we designing specifically for the affectionado..or should we try to bring drum corps to the greater masses..............if broadway's producers let the inmates run the asylum the way drum corps has ............there would be no Broadway................we have taking the melodies out of our music we have toned down the power and completely misguided the visual presentations................is there any wonder that spelling bees and cheerleading contests are being presented as more Entertaining than 'our activity'.....................Drum corps should blow people away...make the hair on the back of their necks stand up............

again I do not disrespect the performers............they are outstanding..............

Drum Corps is an activity that has been around a long time.........but ask yourself has there been any change in the growth..........why?

I agree with you! It is called Drum and Bugle Corps. The reason for the word bugle is that the instruments are supposed to be conicle "G" instruments. The reason for that is that they are wide open instruments that can handle masses of air running thru them. Why all the air you ask? Simple: VOLUME!!!!!!!!! The instruments that are used today may be fairly decent in terms of quality but... THEY ARE NOT AS LOUD AS THE OLD G HORNS.

I am a member of the SF RENEGADES and we have not lost sight of why we march in drum corps. Our show is always designed for maximum impact. It is specifically for the crowd reaction. When the crowd yells as loud as you can play you find the thrill of drum corps. I am sorry to say that the kids today who are every bit as good as we were back in the day maybe even better are missing out on the biggest rush of their lives.

If you have never sat in a crowd and watched a DCI show or played in one in the 80's you have no proper basis for comparing crowd reaction. The polite reaction of the crowd today has got to leave many of the kids with an empty feeling. Our activity has drifted away from what entertains the masses. We are much too into nuance and subtile today.

Ask yourself why are TV commercials short and full of impact or humor? They are designed to playcate short attention spans and keep people entertained while delivering a message. If we want to continue playing to alumni, non finalist corps, Division II & III corps and parents instead of filling the stands with the general populous then we should continue in our artistic direction... After all who cares about building a following!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking only for myself, this was my seventh consecutive DCI Championships, and I rank it up there at the top in terms of entertainment value. From first to twenty-third, there was a lot of diversity in style, at least from my perspective.

There were plenty of moments when I found myself amazed at what I just saw or heard.

There were plenty of moments when I felt tears forming in my eyes by the beauty of what I saw or heard.

In the top 12 alone, there was a lot to entertain me:

--The Green Team made me smile at their total portrayal of the "machine" and their amazing visual program.

--The White Team made took me on an emotional journey I will never forget.

--The Blue Team made me realize why I love the Godfather movies so much.

--The Bloo Team made me happy from start to finish.

--Santa Clara Vanguard reminded me why I love Santa Clara Vanguard.

--Blue Knights made me react viscerally to their music. It was dark, it was uncomfortable, and I loved it.

--Carolina Crown kept me riveted to their entire production, and I felt their impact points.

--Glassmen portrayed Beethoven with humor, grace and power, and I appreciated their taking on this type of music.

--Spirit made me tap my toe, smile, and appreciate the history of our activity.

It was a great year.

Watch it Wes, I was one of those marching tympanists.... but otherwise, kudos to all the kids.

All the love in the world man, you guys who had to carry extreme equipment rock!!! Kick butt!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Any year I enjoy watching half the top 6 I consider a good year.

Wow, this is a statement on the programs. I remember a time when all corps presented great programs. Or at least 11 of the top 12 corps.

:blah:

That's all a matter of opinion - not fact. Personally, I have a hard time finding many years where I enjoyed more of the Division I corps than I did this year, and I have been to Championships every year since 1978. But that's just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
... there are reasons why so many corps (and bands) do original works now. It is called COPYRIGHT LAW.

It is very expensive and difficult to get permission to do existing works (that will work with today's competitive scheme)within the law's reach these days.

I know that there were never any copyright difficulties in the Golden Age, as any corps could play anything without ASCAP/BMI interference. I asked about that potential problem at the time and was told that anything played on the two-valve bugles was exempt. (Interestingly, drum music that copied, say, Krupa or Sandy Nelson note for note was never enforced, either.)