Why don't more people emulate the Cavaliers design concepts?

Cause the Cavaliers are unique.

I for one wouldn't want every corps to emulate what the Cavalier's are doing. Cause then it would get old really quick. The visual concepts wouldn't be as fascinating as they are now. If you went to a show and the drill designs were all the same, then people would start saying, "You see one corps, you've seen them all." I wouldn't really want that. It's nice to watch the designs from corps to corps. Yeah, the Cavalier's have been a power house for 6-7 years now, and I believe it'll continue for a very long time. It's up to the other corps to out design them. It's a hard task, but if you've payed attention this year, both BD and Phantom aren't far behind. And who knows what will happen next year. Cadets, SCV, and Bluecoats could pull something too. We just have to wait and see.

I dont think my Golden Lancer brother was saying that corps should copy the Cavaliers' visual program.

I think what he was asking was why arent more corps emulating how the Cavaliers put their shows together becuase obviously their formula works.

Honestly...I think more corps would if they could if they had the talent (both staff wise and membership wise).

In regards to Phantom Regiment and BD being not far behind...thats exactly the issue...they didnt finish first...because whatever the Cavaliers are doing..they're doing it right.

Of course...when the CDs come out...we'll see which corps get more listening time. Depending on your preference...maybe it will be the corps that have more music based programs.

I dont think the Cavaliers will slow down at all, but I think that other corps have been picking up steam. I cant wait for the midwestern tour next summer. Hopefully DCI wont ship Phantom Regiment off to another part of the country like they have the last few years.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cavaliers do not, as a rule, do this, according to the Cavaliers.

This is just me thinking (strange, I know) but you can't tell me that a good hearty chunk of The Cavalier's music in any given year isn't written with the drill in mind. What's that whole random section in Machine, after the opener, where they all rust and fall apart? Oh, and right after that where the guard members pull and push on the block and get bowled over backwards? That's got to be all drill first- it's sort of background music to go along. And as much as I love their shows, I think it's pretty obvious that at least in certain times that occur often throughout the show, the visual does come first.

This is just me thinking (strange, I know) but you can't tell me that a good hearty chunk of The Cavalier's music in any given year isn't written with the drill in mind. What's that whole random section in Machine, after the opener, where they all rust and fall apart? Oh, and right after that where the guard members pull and push on the block and get bowled over backwards? That's got to be all drill first- it's sort of background music to go along. And as much as I love their shows, I think it's pretty obvious that at least in certain times that occur often throughout the show, the visual does come first.

i felt the same way about the whistling part in 04.

Perhaps you're right. But is that so bad? The push-pull section was a hit for all from everything that I've heard.

Whoa, never ever said it was bad. I liked Machine very much, and in fact, even had the banner in my sig for a while during the championships until I thought my sig was too big and took it out. I simply cited that part as an example of "visual first, music to go along."

But no kidding, I really did love The Cavaliers this year. First time I saw the new ending was quarters, and I gotta say, they're definitely one of my favorites this year. I'm listening to the San An APD right now in fact (waiting for finals downloads)

Oh, and yes, the push-pull was a huge hit in the theater I was in anyway! Early in the season, the crowd was like whatever, but during Quarters, people were clapping and chuckling throughout the whole show! (Including me :) )

Edited by Wild Nights

Perhaps you're right. But is that so bad? The push-pull section was a hit for all from everything that I've heard.

Dont think he thinks its a bad idea...I think he's just arguing the fact that people say the Cavaliers are NOT a visual first corps.

i felt the same way about the whistling part in 04.

Just one more example. In a word, the Cavaliers are "clever." Or maybe "entertaining." A James Bond show, I thought, would be cheesy. Well, then The Cavaliers did it, and suddenly I realized what an awesome idea it was. (Even though if anyone else had done it, it probably would have seemed cheesy anyway. They have a knack for pulling off the impossible) :)

Whoa, never ever said it was bad.

Don't worry, I didn't mean to imply that you did. :P

I simply meant to make that point as a way to direct the discussion.

the key is to find the right balance of visual and music, and with the exceptuion of the one cavies show that is called the greatest of all time, 2002, i think they usually find this balance. face it, in a year of great drumslines, their drumline scored well. they won GE music. and brass too.

this was one of the best balanced shows music to visual i have seen in the last 6 years. now if they'd add a touch of volume, it could be perfect