DCI/BOA Merger

BOA and DCI haven't been seperate for a while now. Same judges, close to the same sheets (GE driven) and many of the same people on the BOD. If this were to happen I would look at it more as an attempt to put the screws to YEA and USSBA. DCI is very good at sending messages without actually saying it. It's more what they do and it's impact. I.E. Dci took over DCM for a couple of years. When DCM wanted the reigns back DCI added the first tour to the schedule for Div 1 corps ... effectively saying, "Sorry DCM, you'll have to make it without the bigboys." I'm sure I can come up with 20 other examples, but that's how they operate. Not very subtle but deadly effective. (and you say they aren't killing drum corps) :P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure a merger between the two would do either organization any good. I'm also sure Hop wouldn't be too pleased unless he was looking to merge USSBA with BOA.

I can see the two working together more like what Cavies do at the BOA Summer Band Camp, especially since the BOA kids are the same people that DCI is targeting to build the fan base. A merger seems unlikely.

I have no problem with any of the organizations but the thought of a single group controlling my entertainment needs is not pleasant.

Monopolies are prevented in the business world for a reason.

The previous message was brought to you by Clearchannel ...

Although I agree with your sentiment. Drum Corps had, or should have, a totally different identity from marching bands.

If this were to happen, I would have a great deal of trouble with it. Back in the day, 70's, if you were to mention marching bands in te same breath as any drum corps, you would run for your life.

Both BOA and drum corps in general were two separate components of marching units. Drum corps were superior in both marching style and performance quality. In those days the thought of the two merging was an insult to drum corps everywhere.

You may as well merge, they have trumpets so do we, they have tubas so do we, they have pits so do we. The only diffenrce now is they woodwinds.. :sshh: .....I don't even want to think about it !!!!

DCI's revenues are about 8M per year. Compared to 4M for BOA. WGI is also about 4M per year.

DCI runs about 140 shows per year. How many does BOA run?

DCI has about 50 member corps. How many bands are in BOA?

My feeling is that rather than merge with BOA, DCI should start it's own band and winter guard divisions. DCI is the premeir brand name in pageantry and should not reduce it's prestige by merging with BOA.

If it happens it happens, and we will all be better off for it.

DCI and BOA are run by a group of very intelligent people, all with the interest of kids and music education in mind. If they think this is the right decision to push the acitivity forward, it will be studied, re-studied, discussed, and studided again, all in a way that will make it benefical for everyone involved, including the fans, and most importantly the kids.

Not trying to be an apologist, but sometimes you have to trust that the people who have been put in power to make the decisions. If the current management thinks this is the way to go, they will get my vote of support.

DCI's revenues are about 8M per year. Compared to 4M for BOA. WGI is also about 4M per year.

DCI runs about 140 shows per year. How many does BOA run?

DCI has about 50 member corps. How many bands are in BOA?

My feeling is that rather than merge with BOA, DCI should start it's own band and winter guard divisions. DCI is the premeir brand name in pageantry and should not reduce it's prestige by merging with BOA.

Getting a little cocky? There are high school bands, both in BOA and not in BOA, that could make DCI finals.

I'm aware of that. The design is still better in DCI than it is in BOA.

Why would Gaines design differently for a band than a corps?

³I write drill for several bands using music from Key. The quality and care with which he creates and arranges music transcends the audio, and allows the visual program to almost write itself!

Michael Gaines, Visual Designer - Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps & Freelance Visual Designer

San Francisco, CA

Edited by RegimentContra94