DCI/BOA Merger

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a big fan of BOA mindset and judging philosophy - I would rather DCI remain distinct from that

That would be my biggest complaint about this too. From a logistics and financial point of view, it may not be a bad idea though. If they could keep the 2 "brands" distinct (including how groups are judged and named) I wouldn't mind too much.

That is an oxymoron. You can't merge and remain completely separate.

They can continue to partner together and I have no issues with that, they can only help each other. Merging into a single buiness entity is where I have an issue. It would only be a matter of time before their rules became the same and the lines would be blurred between each activity as they cross promote each other.

Umm companies merge under holding companies all the time. For the most part they remain independent accept for resources such as accounting, human resources, and IT. This would reduce costs for both organizations.

Unofficially, it already happened. Drum corps are no more. We now have DCI bands.

ohh geez...i'm so tired of this argument...if you want to be technical about it, drum corps died when they started using anything other than the straight soprano bugle with no valves. A contra in G is hardly a bugle...it's just a tuba with more pipe. Can you imagine Custer's bugler calling the cavalry to war with a freaking contra? It also died when they took it off the parade grounds and put it on the football field...What's more bando than playing on a freakin football field like it was halftime?

So whatever generation you marched in, I'm sure there was a generation before you that said you weren't in a drum corps either...get over your elitist "my generation is better" attitude. For better or worse we're not going back to Sousa, symmetrical drill, counter marches, menstruals, polished low quarters and with taps, marching timpany, straight bugles with nickle plating, functioning rifles, and base drums with cow hide heads. Elvis will never play a concert again either.

That's like asking why a football coach would use a different strategy coaching college ball as opposed to professional. The reasons should be obvious.

So the argument is that a high school band is less skillful than a DCI corps? I can buy that to a certain point, however, it seems to me that you have not seen a show from a top band. Some of these high schools are doing amazing things, and to belittle them simply because they are a band shows a high level of arrogance and low level of actual knowledge. This attitude is quite common on this board for whatever reason. High school bands are essential to the continued success and survival of the drum and bugle corps activity as we know it today. It is wise to not bite the hand that feeds you.

When you think about a DCI/BOA merger, you need to remember that one of the leading lights in DCI has his own marching band circuit. Arguably one of the largest “competitors” to BOA. Check out www.yea.org.

USSBA is not really a competitor of BOA. BOA is a series of regionals and a Grand National championship. It's not really a band circuit at all. USSBA is primarily a true circuit made up of many local shows, a few regionals and varying types of champs.

If this were to happen, I would have a great deal of trouble with it. Back in the day, 70's, if you were to mention marching bands in te same breath as any drum corps, you would run for your life.

The operative phrase being 'back in the day'.

So whatever generation you marched in, I'm sure there was a generation before you that said you weren't in a drum corps either...get over your elitist "my generation is better" attitude.

Don't forget when drum corps Died....1971 according to a t-shirt and Drum Corps News.

:)

When you think about a DCI/BOA merger, you need to remember that one of the leading lights in DCI has his own marching band circuit. Arguably one of the largest “competitors” to BOA. Check out www.yea.org.

check out the line up for BOA Grand National Championships.

check out the line up for USSBA "Grand National" Championships in Baltimore.

"competitor" my @@@

The operative phrase being 'back in the day'.

That's what scares me Mike, todays mind set of a lot of marching members doesn't think that waybut then again, why would they think that way....but some people still do !! B)