DCI/BOA Merger

As long as the show design of BOA shows doesn't infiltrate DCI. And I'm not just talking about amps and such. The drill design of BOA shows is far too box-oriented for me. It gets boring.

From my perspective, drill design and show design of BOA shows have already infiltrated DCI. It happened around '94. They share judges, designers, and staff. BOA designs are what made DCI shows in the '90 soooo esoteric.... :lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware of that. The design is still better in DCI than it is in BOA.

Compare the design of the top 25 groups from DCI and BOA... You'll find the design pretty similiar.

Another thought...

DCI as an umbrella has no competition when it comes to managing the youth drum corps activity.

Many high school marching band circuits are regional and there are more than have been listed in this thread.

If DCI and BOA were to merge, I would hazard a guess that USSBA would be a part of that new entity.

We could see the beginning of the nationalization(ala DCI) of the competitive high school marching band activity.

Maybe that is what Hop is really looking for.

Maybe he would do something really amazing for DCI like he has done for the Crossmen and float some of the extra funds.........

Feel free to rip this apart.

ohh geez...i'm so tired of this argument...if you want to be technical about it, drum corps died when they started using anything other than the straight soprano bugle with no valves. A contra in G is hardly a bugle...it's just a tuba with more pipe. Can you imagine Custer's bugler calling the cavalry to war with a freaking contra? It also died when they took it off the parade grounds and put it on the football field...What's more bando than playing on a freakin football field like it was halftime?

So whatever generation you marched in, I'm sure there was a generation before you that said you weren't in a drum corps either...get over your elitist "my generation is better" attitude. For better or worse we're not going back to Sousa, symmetrical drill, counter marches, menstruals, polished low quarters and with taps, marching timpany, straight bugles with nickle plating, functioning rifles, and base drums with cow hide heads. Elvis will never play a concert again either.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Umm companies merge under holding companies all the time. For the most part they remain independent accept for resources such as accounting, human resources, and IT. This would reduce costs for both organizations.

I understand mergers. I work in the corporate world and my company has been through at least 2 of them in the time I've worked there. My issue was with the word completely. Having the same sets of people governing BOA and DCI would eventually mean that their infrastructures and thought processes will start to become similar.

I see it all the time. Even though my line of business is completely different than the most what the most recent company we merged with does, I've seen contant changes in management structure, IT processes, departmental realignments, etc to make all lines of business operate the same way even though they do different jobs. That is how costs get reduced within organizations. If DCI and BOA merged, eventually their would be rule changes and philosphy changes that just bring us 1 step closer to using the same judging sheets and woodwinds.

Mergers occur because both organizations have something to offer that the other organization lacks in. They don't just happen just to happen. I don't think BOA has anything to offer DCI outside of what they currently do in their current structure and I don't think DCI has anything to offer BOA either. They both do perfectly fine on their own.

I would be scared if DCI actually wanted to merge w/ BOA because that means they want to get involved in the marching band business. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching and being involved in high school marching band but some things are best left separate.

With both organizations now being located in the same city, and with both championships located in the same city, from a purely business perspective, this is pretty much an no-brainer and really SHOULD happen.

So much of the functional and logistical redundancy could be eliminated, saving considerable costs of operations. In addition, the impact each organization can have on strengthening the other through cross-promotion and integrated non-competitive activities would be huge.

I am not talking about a merger under a single brand (no SupaBandIntergallatic cheesiness) initially, but a parent company with each as an individual business unit (and adding/relocating WGI would absolutely be a priority), with a common purpose, but different variation of goal within the subsidiaries.

Wonder how long before this happens???

I'm not sure how it's a no-brainer. I see lots of difference between independent non-profits running drum corps and public/private schools running athletic bands.

Unlike some from my era, I still love what most corps are doing, but DCI...that's another story. These guys need to stop pandering to the marching band segment and let drum corps be drum corps.

When the transformation is complete, will they like build a Death Star to control the other circuits? :lol:

"don't be too proud of this technilogical terror you've created Governor Acheson. It faisl to compare to the power of the amplified singer"

DCI's revenues are about 8M per year. Compared to 4M for BOA. WGI is also about 4M per year.

DCI runs about 140 shows per year. How many does BOA run?

DCI has about 50 member corps. How many bands are in BOA?

My feeling is that rather than merge with BOA, DCI should start it's own band and winter guard divisions. DCI is the premeir brand name in pageantry and should not reduce it's prestige by merging with BOA.

yet BOA and WGI influence is seen more in DCI than vice versa

I don't even see a point in discussing this. They are different organizations with completely different purposes. Friendly partnerships are one thing and mutally beneficial, but what possible benefits would come from a full on merger?