Mr Hopkins remarks about judging

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI pick their winner based upon whom they think best represents drum corp, the current ideal, where they want to see drum corp go. What they think is the best show for the entire of drum corp. It’s more of a beauty pageant than anything. Of course, you have to achieve a certain level, but the rankings within performance tiers are based upon ideals more than execution. The top 3 were all within a point in Semis…DCI thinks Cavies had the best show for Drum Corp, they won even if they were not as clean as the other 2 corps. (and no, I’m not saying they weren’t, its an example)

(think about the comment above from another poster about spacing between shows)

You knew Cavies would win; often the Sprit of Disney is a good precursor for the winner of more or less evenly matched corps. PR’s dance with the devil, Blue Devils murder, godfather R rated movie show, Cadets drug trip…never had a chance to win unless they absolutely, and obviously blew away all other corp beyond any reasonable doubt…to the point DCI would be embarrassed for picking another corp as champs DCI did not want such an unsavory show to represent them as a ‘sport’

as far as hoppy and his blog, who care?

I like that he shares his thoughts with us even if I don't agree, just by offering an opion...he made himself a target at leat he has some .....

You can say what you want, but be prepared to be held accountable for your actions or comments.

Agreed, assuming that there are rules in place that spell out what actions or comments are acceptable and which are not, and what the extent of being "held accountable" entails. I'm not aware of any such rules currently in DCI related to the topic at hand (could be wrong), so I don't really see what the big deal is. If DCI wants to create such parameters, fine, and then it is important that they follow through consistently on said rules. Until then, let's move on.

Edited by Liam

PR’s dance with the devil, Blue Devils murder, godfather R rated movie show, Cadets drug trip…never had a chance to win unless they absolutely, and obviously blew away all other corp beyond any reasonable doubt…to the point DCI would be embarrassed for picking another corp as champs DCI did not want such an unsavory show to represent them as a ‘sport’

Are you seriously suggesting that these shows didn't win because they don't portray the wholesome image of DCI?

I understand this is an extremely competitive activity. But, what's wrong with accepting the cold hard fact that your corps didn't win?

What ever happened to," be proud when you win."......and be just as proud for giving your very best effort, whether you place second, third, etc. Contrary to popular belief, winning is NOT everything.

I think it sets a poor example in "sportsmanship" for any management or staff member to whine and snivel that the judges robbed them, yadda, yadda, yadda. How about, "We got bested tonight. We have to clean our show, add some GE, and just plain work a little harder. We're a team! We win together...we lose together. Now, let's get to work!"

You don't blame the corps that won. You don't blame the fans, or the judges, or the weather. You don't make excuses! You just give 100%, and accept that every corps can't win every show.

Isn't it more important to teach good sportsmanship to our youth, than to allow a few egotistical adults to vent their frustrations in front of their corps, or in public?

"Are you seriously suggesting that these shows didn't win because they don't portray the wholesome image of DCI?"

no, Cavies were the best corp that night so they won

but all things equal, wholesome trumps dark themes in DCI...been that way for a while

"but all things equal, wholesome trumps dark themes in DCI...been that way for a while"

I guess that is why in '96 a dark show from Phantom and a Gangster show from Blue Devils tied for first over the wholesome western show from Cadets.

Edited by dcifan25

Are you really suggesting that DCI "fixes" the outcome? I just find that so hard to beleive.

There are way to many judges with ethics and integrity to allow that to happen.

"but all things equal, wholesome trumps dark themes in DCI...been that way for a while"

I guess that is why in '96 a dark show from Phantom and a Gangster show from Blue Devils tied for first over the wholesome western show from Cadets.