Phantom - Cavaliers Retreat

Is that because we're so used to coming in second place? :blink:

Heh heh...I don't think it is a long standing Regiment tradition...I don't remember it from the days I marched...but of course back then, we always played toward the corps that beat us at Finals (in effect, playing toward the champion, even though some years it was through a sea of corps).

I miss the old retreat ceremony. I swear, if I ever win that World Series of Poker, not only am I giving Regiment the "Star of Indiana" treatment, I'm going to form a rival league to DCI called USDC. Hey, the NFL had the AFL and USFL, the NBA had the ABA, and in MLB you had the AL and the NL...and yes, I know that someone is going to point out that most of those "rival" leagues failed...it's true. However, some were simply "subsumed" into the other league, along with the innovations and changes they brought.

On my top 12 of priorities for my new league (keep hoping I win the lotto or find out I'm Bill Gates' long-lost nephew) will be to bring back retreats.

Good luck with your new league, I'm just curious who you think will be in this new league? Are you planning on funding a bunch of new corps for your league, if not I doubt you'd have any corps since DCI isn't a league they compete in but it is the corps themselves.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense. If the corps actually played themselves off the field in an orderly fashion, trooping past the winner one-by-one like they always used to do, the champion would probably be able to begin their encore performance sooner than they do now.

How on earth do you figure that?

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

I wasn't at Finals this season so maybe it was better, but based upon past experience, it tends to take a really long time for the corps to actually clear the field for the champs to be able to do their encore. So if, instead of milling around and taking their own sweet time, the corps stayed in formation, played the short version of their signature tune or a snippet of their show, and expeditiously marched off the field (the old-fashioned way), I certainly don't see how it could take any longer than what they do now. And it would have the side benefit of giving the paying audience something entertaining to watch.

Edited by Orpheus

11 corps play for 5 minutes each. Each corps plays while the one before begins their orderly and disciplined march off. By the time each corp is done playing, the previous corps is far enough along that they can begin to march off behind them. Total -- 1 hour give or take. The current undisciplined, unorganized milling around around nonsense until Crocker pleads and cojoles them off takes at least that long!!!!

(Obviously made some time assumptions here, but it is certainly doable, has been thought through on some level, and was in fact figured here on earth :P )

I have seen the video and pictures of Regiment playing "Elsa" to the Cavaliers at retreat... but was wondering if anyone involved could share their story of what took place and how it evolved?

It's called being a corps with class. Did you also notice the SCV DMs saluting the Cavalier DMs? Two great corps that truly have class and I hope that when the day comes, the Cavaliers return the Salute.

I remember in '92, PR turned to us and played Amazing Grace. It was the most beautiful thing that I had ever heard. It was played with such feeling and emotion, I don't think any Cavalier that night had a dry eye.

This use to be done.

Back in '91/92, the other corps would march off usually playing their parade tune, and/or corps song to the winning corps. It really didn't take that long, but some corps would only wait until the previous corps was completely off the field.

It would be nice if they still played to the winning corps. It was a sign of respect, much like what Phantom and SCV had on Saturday night.

Good luck with your new league, I'm just curious who you think will be in this new league? Are you planning on funding a bunch of new corps for your league, if not I doubt you'd have any corps since DCI isn't a league they compete in but it is the corps themselves.

I would provide shows that -instead of being funded/operated by DCI- would be funded/operated by my league. And I wouldn't be forcing ANY corps to abandon DCI...corps could retain membership in DCI as long as they want.

However, since payouts would be more fairly structured to be inclusive of the "little guy," I think we'd start off primarily as a good option for Division II/III corps, with maybe a few Division I corps here and there...and since I'd be donating a huge chunk of cash to Regiment, I am sure they wouldn't mind returning the favour by competing in a few of my shows.

And since we're dreaming...yes, if I had enough money to make my own league, then I'd be re-starting some old corps and trying to get some new ones started as well. I'd bring back Suncoast Sound and Florida Wave, division II or III to start. I'd bring back Black Gold and Marauders, try to get Railmen going again, etc. I detailed my plans a long time ago in this article: http://nikknakks.net/drumcorps/articles/my_pipe_dream.html

Some of the stuff has already been done by DCI, so the article is a bit dated, but you get the picture.

Of course, as long as we're dreaming, there's a lot of things that could be done.

Back to reality. Sigh.

This use to be done.

Back in '91/92, the other corps would march off usually playing their parade tune, and/or corps song to the winning corps. It really didn't take that long, but some corps would only wait until the previous corps was completely off the field.

It would be nice if they still played to the winning corps. It was a sign of respect, much like what Phantom and SCV had on Saturday night.

In '93, each corps was announced when it was their turn to leave the field. For example, Colts were announced first as they placed 12th that night. They wailed Summertime at the crowd, then marched off to a bass beat, trooping the stands and saluting Cadets of Bergen County (the champions that year) as they left. Glassmen were announced next. We played our closer, Sailing, to the crowd, then followed Colts off the field.

What helps expediate the process is the announcing of each corps when it's their turn to march off. Focusing the attention on them tends to get them in formation and ready to play quicker.